Staying "Athletic"

Options
Some nice thoughts from Eric Cressey on training to stay athletic. As someone pushing 60 I can lift with most in the gym and my distance running isn't bad. My biggest regret in my training over the years is not doing enough stuff to be "athletic". I'm working on it now but would have been much better to have been doing it long term.

http://ericcressey.com/10-ways-to-remain-athletic

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Thank you.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    Tagging to read later.
  • ltworide
    ltworide Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing, I follow Eric Cresseys blogs, he posts a lot of helpful info. @packerjohn I've never been athletic but have started including more athletic movements/exercises in my workouts over the past few years. The main thing is it's never too late to learn & we are doing it now, no regrets keep looking forward!
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    Nice post. Bookmarked to have a better look at the clips.

Pushing 62 and never having exercised until 54, I most certainly could have a few regrets. But don't.

I will never make it as athletic, but doing consistent and varied exercise routines over the past 8 years has certainly put me in a better position than I would probably have been not exercising.

I can move a goodly amount of weight for my size and age, have good flexibility and mobility, can hike a small mountain, and even though I don't run, I can finish a 10km at a 4.2mph ave walk.

I expected being old at 62, I'm not, I am a whole new me.

Cheers, h.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    ltworide wrote: »
    Thanks for sharing, I follow Eric Cresseys blogs, he posts a lot of helpful info. @packerjohn I've never been athletic but have started including more athletic movements/exercises in my workouts over the past few years. The main thing is it's never too late to learn & we are doing it now, no regrets keep looking forward!

If you like Cressey and are not reading his stuff already you will like Mike Robertson:
    http://robertsontrainingsystems.com/