Meal Prep - does it last all week without going bad/soggy?

Options
2»

Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    it totally depends on the dish.

I also make things then assemble on site (salad/tacos)- individually they are fine- but combined- hot mess... so I just wait till I get to work to assemble them.

It's also why I pretty much have a basic- and boring meal plan- grilled chicken- soups- chili. I stay away from complicated things- or things that get soggy- I don't like it- but I don't have time to cook every day- so I meal prep only things I really enjoy as left overs. Easy peays.
  • mweckler
    mweckler Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    It honestly depends on what you are prepping. In restaurants once you prep an item most things can maintain freshness for 3 days after being manipulated. Most meats you do not want to prep until the day before you use them. I know most people do not work in the food industry or have to follow health and safety regulations in their home, but to help make sure people are not getting sick it is good practice to brush up on sanitation laws.
    to the person who was looking into reheating chicken, use a skillet on a stove top and make sure to add liquid, either chicken stock, or even plain water will help to keep the chicken hydrated. Also make sure to not over cook the chicken on the first round of cooking. Also once an item has been cooked cooled and reheated it is not longer safe to cool and reheat again. Also when reheating foods make sure to reheat to an internal temperature of 165 degrees, for a minimum of 15 seconds to ensure it is safe to eat.
  • Fit_Fox88
    Fit_Fox88 Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    I will prep all sorts of meats- chicken, chicken sausage, ground beef, beef tips, whatever and have it ready for re-heating for lunches/dinners. I usually try to make a multi-day meal, either a casserole or a pot of soup, chili or stew. I always try to make meals that get at least 4 servings so my husband and I can each have lunch and dinner off of it. I make a large pot of steel cut oats, hard boiled eggs, egg muffins, breakfast burritos, pancakes and/or waffles for the week's breakfasts and just re-heat when I'm ready to eat it. I prepare all my fruits/veggies/chips/crackers in baggies or containers, labeled, for easy grab-and-go. It makes eating so much easier. Although, it does take HOURS of prep on Sundays but it's so worth it during the week.
  • RoseTheWarrior
    RoseTheWarrior Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options
    Myself, I'll wash and chop salad veggies once a week, and place into bags separately, so if I want to throw a salad together it's just a handful of this and that and voila! I'll also portion out certain things like fruit/berries. I do pre-cook chicken that we'll eat cold in a wrap. I make sure that it's JUST cooked, not over-cooked, so that it isn't dry. What type of chicken you buy makes a big difference too. We've tried Walmart and Super Store bulk chicken breasts, and they're gross - very spongy. I much prefer the Costco box of frozen chicken breasts, or the fresh stuff from an actual grocery store. I often make a crockpot of steel cut oats and portion it out into meal-size containers. My hubby likes to makes stews, so that we don't have to cook all the time.
  • JLG1986
    JLG1986 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I sometimes prep things separately...for example, most of the salad is perfectly happy mixed together for the week, but the croutons get weighed and go in a little baggie to be tossed on at the last moment. Crunchy goodness.