I really really need too loose weight and need advice!

Options
I am so sick and tired of being fat and getting discouraged and quitting. I really need help with motivation and easy meal plans. What can I do to make sure it works this time? I am desperate and need a lot of help please.

Replies

• CoffeeNCardio
    CoffeeNCardio Posts: 1,847 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    All you need to do to lose weight (beginning with forgetting everything you've ever heard about losing weight) is to eat fewer calories than you burn. Plug your numbers into MFP, choose a rate of loss (2lbs per week is for those wanting to lose 50+ lbs, if that's not you, don't pick that, you'll be starving), and log EVERY SINGLE PIECE of food that comes anywhere near your mouth. Check out the sticky posts at the top of the forum for good logging practices, and get to it. If you come in at your goal every day, and your logging is accurate, you will lose weight.

As for a "meal plan", you can eat whatever you want so long as you're eating less than you burn and you'll lose weight. The benefit of this is that you can maintain eating what you usually eat for life, and no diet that requires you to do things you cannot or will not do forever will work. Sustainability is the key to success.
  • CurlyCockney
    CurlyCockney Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    I'd recommend reading all the stickies at the top of the boards, set reasonable goals and log accurately. Then, if you have a specific question, people on MFP are very helpful. It's hard to guess what's going on otherwise.
  • CurlyCockney
    CurlyCockney Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    You might find it useful (I did) to log everything you're eating now, before starting weight loss. This will help to pinpoint what you can (or wish to) tweak, as well as teaching you how to log.
  • ashmaro
    ashmaro Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I use Pinterest for easy meal planning. I think motivation is different for everyone. The best thing I have found for me is a strict diet. I started with Whole 30 to include better foods, and it worked. We eat better as a family, and try to stick to those guidelines most of the time.

And log, log, log. It's important to know what you're currently eating and how to improve that.
  • rontafoya
    rontafoya Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    I lost 40 lbs in a reasonable period of time, and here are some things that worked for me. 1--Find foods that satisfy you, that make you full and taste good, that are low in calories, and nutrient dense. Examples of that (for me) include lean turkey, hard boiled eggs, brussels sprouts, chopped bananas pan fried in coconut oil (for dessert), dried seawead (salty snack). Pizza is the worst--you can easily eat 1500 calories in pizza with a blink of an eye. 2--Do not drink any of your calories--it can be tough but it's an important one. If you drink sugary sodas, or drink frappuccinos, or any significant amount of alcohol--weight loss will be difficult. Meal replacement shakes for example are BS. Eat real, nutritious food. 3--count calories accurately. Use myfitnesspal, get a cheap food scale (you can get a 8 dollar food scale on amazon) and become aware of how many calories you are actually eating. 4--diet is more important that exercise, especiallly cardio which is overrated. Watch what you eat. If you want to incorporate exercise, place a heavier emphasis on lifting weights--you won't get huge and muscular--pump iron and eat less--you'll preserve muscle mass and torch fat--which is what you want.
  • 1chuy
    1chuy Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    If you wana loose weigh fast this is what I did I lost 30 in 2 months try to be carb free try and plenty of water and just cardio in mornings
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Nobody can help you with motivation. Sorry. It has to come from you.

But the best way of sticking to it is to pick a reasonable goal and not cut what you love from your diet.
  • emmycantbemeeko
    emmycantbemeeko Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    It's all calories in and calories out.

You will see tons and tons and tons of ads and books and programs promoting complicated diet plans. Some of them will work for some people- but when they do, it's because they caused those people to eat fewer calories than they burned. Some won't- it's because they didn't cause them to eat more calories than they burned.

It's very, very common for newbies to weight loss to assume that if a little change is good, a lot is better, and go whole-hog on the idea of being vegan, low-carb, running every single morning, never touching chocolate again... and then burning out after a short time, realizing they can't and don't want to live like that every day, and going back to the habits that made them fat to begin with, assuming that weight loss is impossibly hard and that they just can't do it.

Nonsense. Literally all you HAVE to do to weigh less is eat fewer calories than you burn. You can do other stuff that's helpful to the process later as you become more confident and acclimate to that initial change, but to start out with, just put your numbers in MFP, go for a nice moderate goal (I personally think the half a pound a week setting is ideal for beginners who don't have more than 50 pounds to lose- it's enough food that you will rarely experience real hunger, although you may have cravings out of habit or be surprised at how much you were eating before) and start logging everything honestly. If you meet your goal, you will lose weight. Just by eating less. It can be the stuff you like to eat now- just less. You can start tomorrow. You don't have to go out and by special food or plan a salad for lunch- just pack a lunch you normally would, but in a size that fits your calorie goals. You can eat in a calorie deficit tomorrow, MFP can help you figure out how to achieve that. You can have lost a pound or two by next Monday.

You have to motivate yourself to want to do that, but that's literally all there is to actual weight loss. Just eating less than you burn consistently.

Exercise and eating a nutritiously balanced diet are great for health, and can make it much easier to achieve that "eating less" deficit in a healthy way, but weight loss is absolutely all about calories in and calories out. Accepting that and acting on it is the first step to weight loss. Everything else about dieting is just window dressing.

• frankiesgirlie
    frankiesgirlie Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    It's all calories in and calories out.

You will see tons and tons and tons of ads and books and programs promoting complicated diet plans. Some of them will work for some people- but when they do, it's because they caused those people to eat fewer calories than they burned. Some won't- it's because they didn't cause them to eat more calories than they burned.

It's very, very common for newbies to weight loss to assume that if a little change is good, a lot is better, and go whole-hog on the idea of being vegan, low-carb, running every single morning, never touching chocolate again... and then burning out after a short time, realizing they can't and don't want to live like that every day, and going back to the habits that made them fat to begin with, assuming that weight loss is impossibly hard and that they just can't do it.

Nonsense. Literally all you HAVE to do to weigh less is eat fewer calories than you burn. You can do other stuff that's helpful to the process later as you become more confident and acclimate to that initial change, but to start out with, just put your numbers in MFP, go for a nice moderate goal (I personally think the half a pound a week setting is ideal for beginners who don't have more than 50 pounds to lose- it's enough food that you will rarely experience real hunger, although you may have cravings out of habit or be surprised at how much you were eating before) and start logging everything honestly. If you meet your goal, you will lose weight. Just by eating less. It can be the stuff you like to eat now- just less. You can start tomorrow. You don't have to go out and by special food or plan a salad for lunch- just pack a lunch you normally would, but in a size that fits your calorie goals. You can eat in a calorie deficit tomorrow, MFP can help you figure out how to achieve that. You can have lost a pound or two by next Monday.

You have to motivate yourself to want to do that, but that's literally all there is to actual weight loss. Just eating less than you burn consistently.

Exercise and eating a nutritiously balanced diet are great for health, and can make it much easier to achieve that "eating less" deficit in a healthy way, but weight loss is absolutely all about calories in and calories out. Accepting that and acting on it is the first step to weight loss. Everything else about dieting is just window dressing.

This is fantastic^^^
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    Basically what everyone else has said.

1. Plug in your stats and your activity level. It will tell you how many calories to eat per day. http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/
    2. Buy yourself a food scale and measure and weigh every single thing you eat every day to meet that calorie goal.
    3. Be patient and keep doing it every day. Trust the process.
    4. Don't get discouraged if you weigh yourself in a few days or a week and your weight is a bit up. Weight fluctuates on a daily basis. It's normal. Just look at the overall trend. The weight won't come off overnight.

I trust this calculator that I mentioned in #1. I've lost more than 50 pounds by using it so I recommend it to everyone who is interested in losing fat.

Good luck!
  • vespiquenn
    vespiquenn Posts: 1,455 Member
    Options
    People are going to offer all kinds of advice here, but at the end of the day, they can't provide motivation. That all comes from you. And I hate to say it, but you will not succeed until this happens.