A Day in My Diet: Endurance Athlete Zoë Romano

Options
This is from an article from in Shape.com about what an endurance runner eats throughout the day (training to run 2000 miles). Wanted to see what you guys thought of her diet.

'A Day In My Tour De France Diet'

"On May 18, exactly six weeks before the 2013 Tour de France, Zoë Romano laced up her running shoes and set out to accomplish what no other person has ever done: run the entire 2,000-mile route of the world famous cycling event. Her goal: Finish one day ahead of the pack (on July 20), which means she'll need to cover an average of 30 miles per day!

This isn't the first time Romano has taken on a daunting distance. In 2011 she became the first solo female runner to cover the 2,800 miles across the United States. Though she didn't start distance running until college, she's fallen head over heels with the sport. "I love the adrenaline rush from running, and I love being outdoors," Romano says. "For me, running is a means of discovery: not only do I discover new towns and places, I've also learned more about myself."

She's also running for a good cause—the Tour de France challenge will raise money for the World Pediatric Project, a charity that provides medical care to children in developing countries in the Caribbean and Central America. To say Romano is inspiring is a serious understatement, but her extreme physical feat also made us curious: What (and how much!) is she eating to fuel her body during day-long runs? Here, the distance runner shares photos of everything that passed her lips during one 24-hour period on her journey to the finish line."

(You can view the slideshow of what she eats, I've also listed it below)

http://www.shape.com/healthy-eating/diet-tips/day-my-diet-endurance-athlete-zoë-romano

-Breakfast: oatmeal, fresh fruit, and a strong cup of coffee. Sometimes bread and Nutella.
-Snack: Sliced Cantaloupe
-Another Snack: Fresh Fruit
-Mid-Run Fuel: Health Warrior Chia Bars
-Mid-Run Fuel: Fuse Drops
-Pre-Dinner: Hummus Plate (consists of fresh cut veggies, bread, olives, and a bowl of hummus)
-Dinner: Quinoa, Garbanzo Beans, Veggies
-Dessert: Yogurt And Fruit

And that's it. This is for a girl running 30 miles a day. When I look at this, I would say that this is way too little for all the activity she is doing throughout the day, but I'm certainly not an athlete, so maybe I'm wrong.

I'm also surprised at the low amount of protein she consumes daily. I eat way more than she does, and am also no where near as active as she is. What do you guys think?

Replies

• jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    I calculate that out as being on the order of 2000-3000 calories or more depending on how those things are prepared and how much she eats.
  • hardyjessicag
    hardyjessicag Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Hm, I guess it came out lower in my mind.