Losing weight before like Bryan concert

Options
Hello, so my boyfriend decided to surprise me with some Luke Bryan tickets. His concert is March 11th. I was wondering how much weight I would be able to lose by that point. I weigh 165 now and I'm 5'6. I just started eating better and working out. For breakfast I have a banana and special k bar. For lunch I have a turkey sandwich on wheat with a yogurt. And I have something light and nutritious for dinner. Water to drink only, and definitely no fast food. I am working on getting in 10,000 steps daily, plus I get on the elliptical for 30 minutes just about every day. On the weekends my diet is pretty similar but I don't workout. Assuming that I stick with this, how much would I be able to lose in one month?

Replies

• ManiacalLaugh
    ManiacalLaugh Posts: 1,048 Member
    Options
    Do you know how many calories you're eating?

Assuming your deficit is spot on, you're probably only going to see 2-3 lbs of fat loss, since that's less than a month away. Water weight fluctuations may affect the actual number on the scale though.
  • apeyboo
    apeyboo Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    My calories would be just under 1200 calories. I'd say it's at about 1100 calories. The concert is 4 days from a whole month away, but I'm thinking if I'm really strict and persistent I can lose maybe 10 pounds. What do you think?
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    Ten pounds in 4 weeks would not be a very attainable goal for someone at your height and weight.

You can certainly change your habits and make some progress in 4 weeks, which is probably a better goal to have than setting an arbitrary number out there describing how much you *think* you need to lose in that time frame.
  • ManiacalLaugh
    Options
    Nope. That's entirely unrealistic. If you weighed 265, not 165, it might be somewhat more plausible.

Also, for someone who is 5'6, 1100 is not a preferred calorie amount. It's very difficult to get the nutrition your body needs from such a low level. Even knowing that you'd only be this low for a temporary period, I would not recommend it.
  • janjunie
    janjunie Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    apeyboo wrote: »
    My calories would be just under 1200 calories. I'd say it's at about 1100 calories. The concert is 4 days from a whole month away, but I'm thinking if I'm really strict and persistent I can lose maybe 10 pounds. What do you think?

With that calorie goal you might lose 10 lbs, but you'll probably gain it all back and then some because very low calorie diets are not sustainable and cause people to binge. Losing weight for a concert doesn't seem like the beginning of a long term change. Doing it for your health, yes. A concert, no. Also, think about all the lean body mass you'll be losing with 1100 calories and cardio.
  • ManiacalLaugh
    Options
    janjunie wrote: »

With that calorie goal you might lose 10 lbs, but you'll probably gain it all back and then some because very low calorie diets are not sustainable and cause people to binge. Losing weight for a concert doesn't seem like the beginning of a long term change. Doing it for your health, yes. A concert, no. Also, think about all the lean body mass you'll be losing with 1100 calories and cardio.

If that amount of weight comes off it will be water. It's impossible to lose that much actual fat weight. For a 20 year-old woman who is 5'6 and only 165, maximum fat loss will fall between .5 and 1 lb a week - and that's being optimistic due to the OP's age.
  • janjunie
    Options

If that amount of weight comes off it will be water. It's impossible to lose that much actual fat weight. For a 20 year-old woman who is 5'6 and only 165, maximum fat loss will fall between .5 and 1 lb a week - and that's being optimistic due to the OP's age.

Based on her stats her BMR is roughly 1800 cal/day, she's going to lose water weight of course, but she's going to lose more than .5 lb - 1 lb per week assuming she's really eating 1100 cal/day. Not safe, not sustainable.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options

Based on her stats her BMR is roughly 1800 cal/day, she's going to lose water weight of course, but she's going to lose more than .5 lb - 1 lb per week assuming she's really eating 1100 cal/day. Not safe, not sustainable.

It won't all be fat though. In fact, it will be much less fat than she probably like.

OP, don't focus on the scale so much. Set a realistic goal. You don't have much to lose, so 0.5-1lb/week max. Workout. Learn healthy habits. Enjoy the concern.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »

It won't all be fat though. In fact, it will be much less fat than she probably like.

OP, don't focus on the scale so much. Set a realistic goal. You don't have much to lose, so 0.5-1lb/week max. Workout. Learn healthy habits. Enjoy the concert.

This.

Also, I doubt Luke Bryan cares whether you're 10 lbs lighter at his concert or going to make you weigh in for it.

Just eat at a reasonable deficit, get some exercise and enjoy the show.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    Op- just remember that an aggressive deficit will likely lead to more muscle mass lost . (think flabby and saggy) so even though you will be 10 lb lighter , your body won't necessarily look better at all . ( think skinny fat . loose saggy skin, Jello like flab )

So its much better to eat at a reasonable deficit. Vlcd aren't sustainable
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    i go to concerts all the time.

not once has the performer, or venue staff, or friends, or strangers ever been concerned about my weight ......

make changes because you want to but not for a 3 hour event where .... no one cares.

and best case, and healthiest scenario is 2 pounds a week IF you meticulously weigh your food (no ' i eat about x amount of calories' )
  • janjunie
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »

I never said her loss would be all fat
  • SueSueDio
    SueSueDio Posts: 4,796 Member
    Options
    not once has the performer, or venue staff, or friends, or strangers ever been concerned about my weight ......

True - and at 5'6" myself and currently over 200lbs, I've never had trouble getting a souvenir T-shirt that fits me either! :smile:

It does seem an odd choice to want to lose weight for a concert - is there a Meet and Greet you want to look hot for? :wink: Either way, I agree with the others - do it right and lose the weight slowly. I'm sure you'll have enough energy for dancing anyway if you're eating better and working out. Enjoy the concert and don't worry! :smile:
  • emmycantbemeeko
    emmycantbemeeko Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    To lose 10 lbs of fat before the concert would require a 1400 calorie a day deficit every single day. You can't possibly achieve that in a safe and healthy way that doesn't also involve losing some (a lot) of the lean muscle that you *want* to keep to keep yourself strong, your metabolism good, and your body firm. So even if you managed this, you'd look and feel not great.

Is it possible to lose ten pounds in just under a month? Possibly. Will you look or feel good at the end of the process? No. Who wants to be at a show feeling shaky and weak with crappy skin from starving for a month?

Start making small changes and eating at a reasonable deficit now, enjoy feeling and looking a little better at the show, keep it up afterward until you achieve your goal in a healthy, sustainable way.
  • vespiquenn
    vespiquenn Posts: 1,455 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    When all is said and done, are you honestly going to remember how much you weighed at a concert, or how fun it was?

If it is the former, you should rethink your line of thought.

And to answer your question, you're looking at a pound a week, max, if you're doing it healthy. 1100 is not.. So you're going to end up with the skinny fat look. So best case scenario is 5lbs.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    i go to concerts all the time.

make changes because you want to but not for a 3 hour event where .... no one cares.

and best case, and healthiest scenario is 2 pounds a week IF you meticulously weigh your food (no ' i eat about x amount of calories' )

I have a friend who is a somewhat-well-known performer. I once saw some women commenting on a page for one of his events that they were going to have to lose 10-15 pounds before they saw him.

What they didn't know is that he likes older, very curvy women. Ooops!

A concert seems like a silly reason to set a weight-loss goal, but whatever works for you.
  • Mavrick_RN
    Mavrick_RN Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    I assumed it was OP's attempt to make an arbitrary date less arbitrary by attaching a name to it. I don't think she has any intention of changing her lifestyle.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,714 Member
    Options
    My question is why does it matter that you lose 10lbs by the concert? You're not going to be on stage are you? I think people forget that others are there to see the act on stage and aren't that worried if you didn't lose 10lbs.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • tkphotogirl
    tkphotogirl Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Mavrick_RN wrote: »
    I assumed it was OP's attempt to make an arbitrary date less arbitrary by attaching a name to it. I don't think she has any intention of changing her lifestyle.

That's how I took it too.