Heart not getting up there

Options
Hi, new to this forum. I have a very slow resting heart rate - average 44-55. I have been taking my my rate about 5 minutes post workout and it's only 65-69. If it's that low does that mean the workout is ineffective?

Replies

• Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    It's neither here nor there.

It's usually a healthy sign to have a post-workout HR that returns low quickly.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    During your workout would be a more accurate indication if you're working hard enough.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    I have the same issue, except that I am able to get my heart rate up a bit above 100 with an intense workout of an hour+.

Do you have low blood pressure?

For me it is a combination of genetics and being in very good shape.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    My heart rate drops very quickly back to normal after workouts and it's back to my rhr quite quickly
  • 20yearsyounger
    20yearsyounger Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    dorener wrote: »
    Hi, new to this forum. I have a very slow resting heart rate - average 44-55. I have been taking my my rate about 5 minutes post workout and it's only 65-69. If it's that low does that mean the workout is ineffective?

sounds pretty low. what do you have to do to get it over 100-110?
  • dorener
    dorener Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I have the same issue, except that I am able to get my heart rate up a bit above 100 with an intense workout of an hour+.

Do you have low blood pressure?

For me it is a combination of genetics and being in very good shape.

Yes, BP is around 98/56 typically
  • dorener
    Options

A long run outside will get it up to 100. But I am not doing so in this weather...
  • 20yearsyounger
    Options

A long run outside will get it up to 100. But I am not doing so in this weather...

ok my resting heart reate is in the low 40s but a long run outside at 6mph would put my HR between 130-140. If a long run only gets you to 100, then I probably wouldnt use your HR as a test for intensity. Maybe use your breathing and your ability to maybe sing a song or speak a sentence.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,163 Member
    Options
    I am not at my best right now, and my resting HR is 58-62 or so. I can get it up quite high working out, especially when I really push things. It recovers (that is what your 5 minutes after working out number would be) fairly well, but not as well as yours does. Everything you have said tends to make me think you are in good physical condition, at least cardiovascularly. None of that would saw how good your workout is as that would depend on a bunch of factors, including perceived exertion, maximum and average HR during exercise, and the like.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options

ok my resting heart reate is in the low 40s but a long run outside at 6mph would put my HR between 130-140. If a long run only gets you to 100, then I probably wouldnt use your HR as a test for intensity. Maybe use your breathing and your ability to maybe sing a song or speak a sentence.

Note that she's checking her pulse 5 minutes after finishing exercise, not during exercise. If her RHR is 44-55 and her post-recovery HR is 65-69 five minutes after concluding exercise, that would speak more to recovery rate than the efficacy of the workout itself. It would make a lot more sense to be checking the HR periodically during the workout.
  • dorener
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »

Note that she's checking her pulse 5 minutes after finishing exercise, not during exercise. If her RHR is 44-55 and her post-recovery HR is 65-69 five minutes after concluding exercise, that would speak more to recovery rate than the efficacy of the workout itself. It would make a lot more sense to be checking the HR periodically during the workout.

I don't have a heart rate monitor, I only do it manually or with my iPhone app so I will check it tonight as soon as I finish my workout but before cool down which sounds like a better indicator. Thanks
  • 20yearsyounger
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »

I don't have a heart rate monitor, I only do it manually or with my iPhone app so I will check it tonight as soon as I finish my workout but before cool down which sounds like a better indicator. Thanks

Anvil is right and checking before you cool down should work.