Chocolate Banana Muffins! 66kcal per muffin/gluten free/no extra sugar

Options
GsKiki
GsKiki Posts: 392 Member
Hello everyone!
I usually like to make a smoothie with banana, cocoa and oats. So it got me thinking last week, why not make it into a nice muffin! This weekend I tried it out and they were so yummy!
I tried some with berries, and put a piece of dark chocolate in others (they would also be great with some nuts!). The recipe is right here on my mfp blog and it makes 12 regular muffins:
http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/GsKiki/view/chocolate-banana-muffins-805390
The sweetness is from ripe bananas, and chocolate taste from cocoa powder!
vl3rjbj1hhvh.jpg
bpzutpe1rl9i.jpg
r thes9zzrtnmwtok.jpg

They are even better the other day! They stay super moist and flavourful, and have been perfect like quick on the go snack!

Replies

• jacklifts
    jacklifts Posts: 396 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    they look awesome! thanks for the recipe.
    have you tried using the same batter to make a loaf or pancakes by any chance?
  • GsKiki
    Options
    Thanks!
    I haven't yet but I plan on making a banana bread using the same recipe. It should work nicely. My advice would just be to let it cool almost completely to make it easier to cut.
  • Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    Options
    Those look super tasty. I don't have oat flour, so I'll have to hunt some up (I don't have a food processor :frowning: ).
  • GsKiki
    Options
    Afura wrote: »
    Those look super tasty. I don't have oat flour, so I'll have to hunt some up (I don't have a food processor :frowning: ).

You can use regular flour, you just might need to use a bit less than oat, so add slowly until you get nice consistency.
    And thank you :)
  • cro_goco
    cro_goco Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Looks delicious gonna have to try it this weekend.
    Btw. For the oat flour, take some oats into your blender and blend it till you get flour :)
    Its so much cheaper than buying oat flour
  • blancoms
    blancoms Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Those look amazing. I love banana muffins so I have to try these.

And bananas in the oven... Does it actually ripen them or just make them softer to mix?
  • GsKiki
    Options
    cro_goco wrote: »
    Btw. For the oat flour, take some oats into your blender and blend it till you get flour :)
    Its so much cheaper than buying oat flour
    I just usually put old fashioned oats in the food processor, but I do agree it's much easier and cheaper making your own oat flour.
    Those look amazing. I love banana muffins so I have to try these.

And bananas in the oven... Does it actually ripen them or just make them softer to mix?

Thank you :) And yes it actually does ripen them, and makes them softer to mix as well.
  • bakers1985
    bakers1985 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    You could try adding some choc protein powder for extra protein as well
  • antennachick
    antennachick Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Becca_250
    Becca_250 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    These look good, must try once my oven is working again!
  • Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    Options
    I've made these twice now. The first time I was a doof and forgot salt and cinnamon, bland but still edible. I swapped the Oatflour for GF Flour (it's what I had) and definitely did not get as full of cups as was in the video. Still, threw a half tablespoon of peanut butter on top and they were fine. The batch I made this week came out much better. Still GF flour (but a different brand, for contrast), and a scoop of protein powder. Still not as full cup fill, and not very fluffy though eggs were beaten to a near peak. Bigger banana taste, and I wonder if it's just that they were more ripe. Overall tasty, I grab two for a quick grab breakfast along with my coffee. I'll definitely keep the recipe on hand, and if I can I'll try it with the oat flour to see how it turns out.
  • poteatkd
    poteatkd Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Those look amazing! Yum.
  • mathandcats
    mathandcats Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    Afura wrote: »
    I've made these twice now. The first time I was a doof and forgot salt and cinnamon, bland but still edible. I swapped the Oatflour for GF Flour (it's what I had) and definitely did not get as full of cups as was in the video. Still, threw a half tablespoon of peanut butter on top and they were fine. The batch I made this week came out much better. Still GF flour (but a different brand, for contrast), and a scoop of protein powder. Still not as full cup fill, and not very fluffy though eggs were beaten to a near peak. Bigger banana taste, and I wonder if it's just that they were more ripe. Overall tasty, I grab two for a quick grab breakfast along with my coffee. I'll definitely keep the recipe on hand, and if I can I'll try it with the oat flour to see how it turns out.

I've not made this particular recipe, but I've made a similar banana oat muffin recipe before. In my experience, putting too much banana in will make them very dense and not puff up at all. Try weighing your bananas to use a consistent amount every time you make it.
  • TashaaaKayeee
    TashaaaKayeee Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Love this lol. I bake them every week. A good snack.