Drinking ICE water burns 200 Calories!

Options
2»

Replies

• mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    my teeth are sensitive so I would be in pain to drink cold water......so i guess I'l have to stick with my room temp water.

200 cal a day extra burned though sure would be nice.
  • susandersons06
    Options
    Reply to mamagooskie:

I have sensitive teeth as well, drinking through a straw helps !!
    Try that & go for the 200 a day :)
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    ok, first things first. If they say you drink 8 glasses of ice water a day (8 oz per glass) and each glass is 9 calories more. How do they get to 200 calories? I'm a little baffled at the math they use. I mean 9 x 8 = 72, how do they get to 200?

second, I wonder how they measured that to find it out? Because we are all very very different, and something as small as 9 calories in the body is EXTREMELY difficult to measure in a human.

I'm not knocking the theory, it's pretty straight forward and probably true to a degree, but I wouldn't count on ice water for your calorie deficit, there's a million little things that could change it.
    Here's how they get to 200: They say each glass of ice water burns 9 calories more than the 16 calories burned by drinking room-temperature water, for a total of 25 calories for each 8 ounces (8 x 25 = 200). Of course, that's only 72 more than the 128 calories the warmer water would burn.

this is a major stretch IMHO. Water consumption is considered part of the thermic affect of food (thus the reason why colder water burns more calories, albeit only slightly), TDEE is calculated with this (and all other common effects from food) in mind. So that original 16 cals should not be counted anyway. Technically yes, ok, water may burn up to 25 calories per 8 ounces, but this is silly science IMHO as you shouldn't be counting that first 16 calories anyway. And since this is the human machine, everyone burns calories at a slightly different rate (thus why I always talk about tweaking), so assuming an extra 72 calories is not very meaningful to me. And anyway, this is a game of trial and error, attempting to be that exact is an exercise in futility unless you constantly strap yourself to a direct calorie measurement machine in a lab, everything else is just best guess based on your own personal results.
  • PJilly
    PJilly Posts: 21,740 Member
    Options
    I don't disagree with you. I was just 'splaining the math they used to get the 200. :wink:
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    I don't disagree with you. I was just 'splaining the math they used to get the 200. :wink:

gotcha.

Craziness. Why would they break out something that's been diligently studied in order to incorporate it into a solid theory already? I mean, really, you can't use that first 16 cals for any calculation anyway, why even mention it? It's just going to confuse people and make them think water is some miracle weight loss drug (and you know there will be a small group of people that swear by the miraculous weight loss they have just by drinking cold water).

Ugh! I get so frustrated with all the theories out there. It's all about the Benjamins I guess! :ohwell:
  • PJilly
    PJilly Posts: 21,740 Member
    Options

gotcha.

Craziness. Why would they break out something that's been diligently studied in order to incorporate it into a solid theory already? I mean, really, you can't use that first 16 cals for any calculation anyway, why even mention it? It's just going to confuse people and make them think water is some miracle weight loss drug (and you know there will be a small group of people that swear by the miraculous weight loss they have just by drinking cold water).

Ugh! I get so frustrated with all the theories out there. It's all about the Benjamins I guess! :ohwell:
    My guess? (I've worked in corporate communications in one capacity or another for more than 20 years.) They probably have a go-to supply of filler material for their newsletter in case they don't have enough "news" to meet their copy requirements or if a planned story doesn't get approved by deadline or gets pulled at the last minute for some reason.
  • Sumrgurl
    Options
    This is not true!

The maths works. Unfortunately, it doesn't in practice.

A body, even at rest, is constantly generating heat. The energy used to heat the water would have been lost by the body in other ways if the water hadn't been consumed.

The only way that it would increase calorie expenditure is if the combined temperature increase of the volume of water was enough to consume all of the heat that the body is losing plus a bit more. You then burn the "bit more" calories as a bonus.
  • Sumrgurl
    Options
    :smile:
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    No, just NO!! Read this: http://www.uamshealth.com/?id=12246&sid=1

It burns 7 calories. Maybe.
  • mad_lifting_runner
    Options
    Let's just put it this way...if someone were of the mind to log 200 cals for drinking ice water, I can't imagine what other fairy tales would lie in wait in their food diary.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    No, just NO!! Read this: http://www.uamshealth.com/?id=12246&sid=1

It burns 7 calories. Maybe.

Team Beachbody doesn't have to obey those pesky laws of physics. Duh.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    This is not true!

The maths works. Unfortunately, it doesn't in practice.

A body, even at rest, is constantly generating heat. The energy used to heat the water would have been lost by the body in other ways if the water hadn't been consumed.

The only way that it would increase calorie expenditure is if the combined temperature increase of the volume of water was enough to consume all of the heat that the body is losing plus a bit more. You then burn the "bit more" calories as a bonus.

Hi there and welcome to MFP. I think you'll find that the search feature here doesn't take recency into account when ordering search results. It's usually a good idea to double-check the time stamp in the top right hand corner of a post before bumping a topic from 2010.
  • HazelMcNutty
    HazelMcNutty Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Good thing I can't stand room temperature water. I ONLY drink ice cold. For some reason I think water is gross when it isn't cold.

I totally agree! I thought I was odd one though b/c everyone in my office prefers room temperature/cool water. They never use the blue handle side of the water cooler here but I'm wearing it out! Going to get my 3rd Sigg (0.6L) refill of the morning. My bottle still has icy cold condensation on it from the last fill up.

Happy drinking! ;)

I don't mind it warm or cold but I find it tastes way better when it comes out of a can. (That's really weird, I know) Not that I buy canned water, I'm not even sure that's a thing. But I used to work on a farm and would always forget to bring my water bottle but usually always had a pepsi for lunch.. After it was empty I would fill it with water and it always tasted WAY better, and I would rinse out all the pop first, so it's got nothing to do with what was in the can before.. :laugh:
  • TheKingsChampion
    Options
    I must burn a lot then since I drink 2-4Litres of iced water a day. Lol :wink:
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    8 * 8 ozs * 38C * 28g/oz * 0.001 kcal/g = 68 kcals. Would need actual ice to get to 200.
  • cw106
    cw106 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    Let's just put it this way...if someone were of the mind to log 200 cals for drinking ice water, I can't imagine what other fairy tales would lie in wait in their food diary.
    true, but added up over the 4Years since this thread was started,would add up too

nope. your right. totally irrelevant
  • philwrightfitness
    Options
    True but not quite accurate , if the water was 3 degrees then this would equate to about on ly 15 calories per glass
    16 0z is 473 grams the energy required to raise 473 Grammes of water by 1 degree is 473 calories so to raise it from 3 degrees to 35 degrees is 15136 calories or 15 Calories in food terms
    however scientific research indicates that this is in reality nearer 8 calories per glass....or 64 calories for 8 16 oz glasses
  • philwrightfitness
    Options
    Actually tap water is 7 degrees in winter and up to 20 degrees in summer three one cm cubes if completely melted it would only lower the temperature of the drink to 6.5 degrees so just drink the damn water whatever temperature it is!!! And stop reprinting this flawed rubbish .... People believe it!!