RodaRose wrote: »
    Bread pudding:
    http://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1012636-simple-bread-pudding
    2 cups milk
    2 tablespoons (1/4 stick) unsalted butter, more for greasing pan
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    ⅓ cup sugar
    Pinch salt
    ½ loaf sweet egg bread like challah or brioche, cut into 2-inch cubes (about 5 to 6 cups)
    2 eggs, beaten

Yummy! I am definitely saving this, but absolutely no bread for 4 weeks (including crackers, rice cakes, etc).

You can make it without the bread.
    Here is a savory custard recipe for an example:
    http://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/11944-baked-savory-custard-with-cheese
    2 cups cream, half-and-half, or milk
    3 eggs plus 2 yolks
    ½ teaspoon salt
    ½ cup grated semihard cheese, like Gruyère, Comté or Emmenthal

Yummy! and all ingredients I can eat. I can have hard cheeses if they are shredded or melted.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    You could try making a plain protein powder into a savory soup, with miso or chicken stock? I've made a lot of little breakfast "oatmeals" with protein powder and cream and something else - I'm not sure if you can do small seed stuff like chia, but I love a hemp hearts, chia, almond meal, cream thing.

There's also greek yogurt, with sweet stuff like fruits or savory stuff like garlic and dill and salt - turns it into a mediteranian dip but it tastes good enough I've eaten it on its own.

Eggs are very versatile on their own though. Eggs with tarragon are one of my favorites; eggs with basil and oregano; eggs with garlic and soy and green onion; eggs with curry powder; eggs with sour cream and chives...

Don't dismiss the flexibility of the proteins you already have! :)You've got a whole spice section to look at.

LOL, and much of it is in my closet (I worked for Penzeys Spices for 4 years)
  • earlnabby
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Maybe a baked tofu would be soft enough? I like it with a tomato based sauce, something like this: http://www.sheknows.com/food-and-recipes/articles/1034483/baked-tofu-with-smoky-romesco-sauce-recipe

It's a legume, but I think less commonly associated with gas issues than some others.

It is on my allowed list. I generally don't eat tofu, but I will definitely explore it!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    That's a job where the employee discount would be a major perk!
  • earlnabby
    Options
    That's a job where the employee discount would be a major perk!

Not to mention things that come off the production line with messed up labels or the occasional bag that does not seal properly go into the employee "free" box. I once got a 32 oz bottle of double strength vanilla extract for free that way. Took me a couple of years to use up.

Many of our store employees are retirees looking for a part time job for something to do and to get the discount. Pay is often lower on their list of priorities.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Bone broth -- not a lot of protein but a different taste.
  • vegmebuff
    vegmebuff Posts: 31,389 Member
    Options
    Dry curd (.4% cottage cheese) has low sodium (unlike most cottage cheese) - 1/4 cup= 55 calories - 11 g protein

Canned sardines or salmon might be something you could handle?
  • earlnabby
    Options
    vegmebuff wrote: »
    Dry curd (.4% cottage cheese) has low sodium (unlike most cottage cheese) - 1/4 cup= 55 calories - 11 g protein

I can't find anyplace locally that sells it, which is strange because I live in America's Dairyland and we have just about every kind of cheese there is. Do you buy it? Is it more likely available at a natural foods store?

Sorry, I just can not do fish of any kind without gagging.
  • vegmebuff
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »

I can't find anyplace locally that sells it, which is strange because I live in America's Dairyland and we have just about every kind of cheese there is. Do you buy it? Is it more likely available at a natural foods store?

lol with regards to the fish.
    I do buy and quite like the dry curd (Dairyland or Lucerne brand)- I'm in Canada and it's avail. at my local grocery store (Safeway).
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    Maybe a baked tofu would be soft enough? I like it with a tomato based sauce, something like this: http://www.sheknows.com/food-and-recipes/articles/1034483/baked-tofu-with-smoky-romesco-sauce-recipe

It's a legume, but I think less commonly associated with gas issues than some others.

It is on my allowed list. I generally don't eat tofu, but I will definitely explore it!

Look for silken tofu - definitely soft enough, and if you don't want to mush it with a fork and eat it with a little texture, it blends beautifully into sauces and smoothies. And chocolate pudding/pie filling. Shout out to Alton Brown's Moo-less Chocolate Pie recipe.
  • mjwarbeck
    mjwarbeck Posts: 699 Member
    Options

Just buy other versions of tofu

You can get Tofu with Egg at an asian grocery (has the consistency of soft tofu) or you can go and get silken tofu...either plain or flavoured (our kids eat these as you would a pudding etc...flavours are Mango, custard, banana, taro...)
  • mjwarbeck
    mjwarbeck Posts: 699 Member
    Options

It would also be known as farmers cheese...we have it here in every grocery story...in blocks. Use it when we are making pirogies.
  • vegmebuff
    Options
    mjwarbeck wrote: »

It would also be known as farmers cheese...we have it here in every grocery story...in blocks. Use it when we are making pirogies.

Yes - The Friendship brand -(avail. in the US) has a no salt version - a bit higher in calories and not quite as high protein than the one I buy but would be nice because it's 'creamed'. 1/4 cup - 80 calories - 8 g protein
  • earlnabby
    Options

I have found farmer's cheese, but it is just as high sodium as regular cottage cheese.
  • earlnabby
    Options

Yes - The Friendship brand -(avail. in the US) has a no salt version - a bit higher in calories and not quite as high protein than the one I buy but would be nice because it's 'creamed'. 1/4 cup - 80 calories - 8 g protein

I just checked out their website and none of the retailers that carry it are in my area. The closest would be a Whole Foods 1 hour away.
  • angelexperiment
    angelexperiment Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    Blended oatmeal and cottage cheese with banana. Drinkable and filling.

Puréed foods. Smoothies. Protein drinks.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Protein cheesecake and protein pancakes. And sausage.