does clean eating help with the cravings?

Options
2»

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I don't like the clean/junk schism. But I feel different depending on how I eat. When I get most of my calories from a balanced variety of nutrient-dense and home cooked food, the cravings get smaller; when I eat more candy, chips, ice cream and cookies, I have stronger cravings. I eat what I want, but what I want, changes a lot with what I eat. Is it caused by habit, taste preference, nutrition, attitude, energy levels? It's interesting, but less important than finally having food peace.
  • daveharris54
    daveharris54 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    For me, I have found that cutting out the junk food, prepackaged food and foods with added sugars as much as possible and eating fresh food as much as possible has eliminated most food cravings. There is no doubt that I am a sugar addict. The first few days of cutting sugars was a little rough but once I got through it most cravings are manageable. I am able to hold my caloric intake to usually 1200 to 1300 a day and some days I actually have to make myself eat for the nutrition because I am not hungry. However I have experimented some with foods with added sugars, I.E. so called healthy breakfast cereal, and found that I get very hungry when I eat these foods so I avoid them. I have discovered many benefits of eating more healthy such as more energy, mental alertness and better blood work numbers, but also some unexpected benefits like no more night sweating. If fact, less sweating in general which I don't understand why but I am not complaining.
  • erinnboberinn
    erinnboberinn Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    In my experience, eating clean has helped me not only feel better, lose weight, and then maintain the weight I have lost, but it HAS curbed my cravings for processed foods (like Doritos, which are my favorite). But at the same time, completely cutting something out of your diet forever when you are craving is not the best way for everyone. If I do get a craving that I just can't satisfy, I have a small portion of what I am craving, whether it's cheesey puffs or something else. That way, I am getting my craving out of my head, but I feel better knowing I didn't eat the whole bag. Good Luck!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I agree the graphic exaggerates things and I in no way will suggest a vegetarian diet (shudder to think) but it does give an idea how more bulk/lower calorie foods can fill you up easier than some other choices.

Also in total agreement about getting the mental angle on a relationship with food straight.

It would be interesting if they did a comparison of 400 calories of egg whites (BTW, they equates to 16 egg whites). Or at least chicken.