When will they make wrist fitness monitor with BIG NUMBERS on display?

Options
2»

Replies

• whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    I do not have poor vision. I see 20/20 with reading glasses and 20/20 at distance without glasses. I use my smartphone just fine using my reading glasses. I do no want a smart watch to receive phone calls, text messages, etc. Just an accurate fitness watch I can read without reading glasses. I am not an elderly person (age 62). I don't need running, cycling, swimming, or sleep monitoring. Just an accurate walking app that will help me in cardiac rehab. I don't care about how many steps I take each day. Only when it matters (during exercise workouts). How many people do you estimate need devices for cardiac rehab based on number of heart attacks each year?

Eye surgeon said he is seeing many more patients with cataracts at much younger age than a few years ago, They aren't sure why be some hypothesize it may be due excessive exposure to older computer CRT monitors. I have spent decades 8 hours a day in front of those. You probably only know about modern LCD monitors.

Checking out fitness apps that interface with Polar H7 chest strap. Maybe I will find one that displays HR in large numbers on my Samsung Galaxy S6.

I didn't say you were old (62 is old though, median age in the US is ~38) I just gave an example of a market (smartphones for older people) that isn't served properly due to its small size. And, if you aren't willing to wear reading glasses while walking outside, then you have "poor vision that can't be constantly corrected". Yes, reading glasses fix your sight issues, but if you refuse to wear them then you are placing yourself in a tiny market for large displays. Also, as you specialize your needs you shrink your market even further.

The heart attack market that can see fine without restrictions is already well served by the chest strap and wrist device manufacturers. I don't see how heart attacks somehow increases the need for large numbers.

And, I know what a CRT is. LCD's didn't become popular until after the year 2000 and didn't surpass CRT's in TV sales until the year 2007. I don't get the point of this statement though, are you trying to prove how old you are here or how young?

If you want to know why a "big" market is being ignored, the answer is typically because it isn't a big market. If you believe otherwise (they don't see the need, or you think the need is underestimated), then your best bet is to start the business yourself.

This is so ignorant and age-discriminatory I can't believe it!!! Pretty much the majority of the population over age 50 or so needs reading glasses or bifocals. If you wear contacts or don't otherwise need glasses, you do need reading glasses. And most people do not walk around wearing their reading glasses because they affect your depth perception at that distance. Please stick to what you know about and quit insulting the older population.

I second this! I wish the numbers were larger, too. I am 55 and have never had eye surgery. I just need reading glasses! Nordlead2005 doesn't have a clue. YET.
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    The Garmin 235, while expensive, does have a lot of downloadable watch faces, some of which have much larger numbers than others.
  • koinflipper
    koinflipper Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Garmin Forerunner 235 is a watch for RUNNING. Can running watches be used for walking?