Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Which wireless scale should I get??

In looking in getting one of the scales aria or withing scales or any other if their is. Which one is better? Which one works with pof, Fitbit does water, bmi etc?

Replies

• elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    I am not trying to be negative, but I can't see why someone would purchase a wireless scale when they are far more expensive. I have a basic scale and it works great for me.

As for the body fat percentage and water, the percent reading it gives can be way off. It depends on how hydrated you are.

Dont get me wrong, I would love to have a wireless scale, but they are just too expensive for me.
  • Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    I hesitated on purchasing a wireless scale due to the price, but I ended up receiving a Fitbit Aria for Christmas and let me just say that I LOVE it.

Pros
    • You step on the scale and your work is done. It automatically syncs the data to Fitbit, MFP, and sites like Trendweight if you use it. That's a real time-saver.
    • Building on the mention of Trendweight, I love being able to look at my data and progression with Trendweight. I saw people mention it before I got the Aria and I didn't know how useful it would be until I started to use the site. I know my water weight trends, what meals cause temporary "gain", and I can usually look in the mirror and predict my weight to 0.2 pounds. You can do things like this manually in Excel, sure, but I like just having the information there.
    • This is a minimal benefit, but I like that the scale goes in increments of 0.1lb. My old scale went in increments of 0.2lb and I'd take an average of three weigh-ins. It's a very nitpicky thing on my part, but I'm really rigid at times when it comes to numbers/data.

Cons
    • For some, the price point. The Aria is ~$120 on Amazon and the Withings scale is ~$130. However, if you can afford it, go for it.
    • The BF% must be taken with a huge grain of salt. I will say that my old scale, an Omron, would constantly give me a BF% readout of 27 to 29% and that would vary throughout the day. I started at 139 pounds and it gave me a readout of 32% BF, at 115 pounds I was still getting readouts of 27 to 29% when I have visible abs. The Aria gives me a readout of 18.5 to 20% depending on the time of the month, but normally it varies between 19 and 19.5%. Do I believe I'm actually only 19% BF even though I'm 5'3.5" and 112.5 pounds? Not a chance. I'd estimate I'm more like 23 or 24% BF, but I wouldn't know for sure unless I got a DEXA scan.

The Fitbit doesn't say what your BMI is, just your weight and BF%. That's not an issue for me because my BMI is something I can find online in a few seconds. I don't know what POF is, so I can't address that question. I have no idea what the Withings scale is like, but I didn't see a mention of BMI on the description. However, I did see that when you weigh-in it takes your heart rate as well, but I really don't see the point of that honestly.
  • mrtastybutt
    mrtastybutt Posts: 87 Member
    I love the aria scale. It really simplifies everything. Synacious really said it all.
  • Alohabeaches
    Alohabeaches Posts: 16 Member
    I have an Fitbit Aria & so far, I'm loving it! Just got it two days ago!
  • thunder1982
    thunder1982 Posts: 280 Member
    I too have the aria (I also have a fitbit). Its easy to step on, it does it syncing thing. MFP gets the info and adjusts my calorie goal based on that.

For me the bf% seems pretty close. Unfortunately my BF% is about 38% and my body does look it. Yes there are little tricks I know I can use to trick the scale into giving me a lower % but I'd only be cheating myself. I also like seeing the results on the app/website.

I had used another non-wireless scale before. It had heaps of info most of which I didnt know what it meant and there wasnt any info to go with it. Hydration/bone mass etc etc. Also I then had to manually record the figures and enter them somewhere. I've had my aria for about 2 years. it gets a bit funny when the batteries are low but other than that its been good.
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    I have a Fitbit Aria and I like it purely for how simplistic it is. I step on and it syncs with my Fitbit, which syncs with MFP, which syncs with trendweight. I only pay attention to the weight, not the body fat bc I know it's not that accurate.
  • ZeroDelta
    ZeroDelta Posts: 242 Member
    I have the Withings. I like its display better than the Aria's.
  • fvtfan
    fvtfan Posts: 126 Member
    I tried to buy both of them, the Fitbit Aria technology is old (2012) and it was not compatible with my internet router (figured that out after 3 hours of trying to get it synced to my wireless network). The Withings scale needs an iPhone to get it synced initially. So after wasting an entire day I am using my same old scale and logging my weight in the Libra app...heck of a lot cheaper I guess.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,343 Member
    I recently bought the Withings scale. I have it syncing with MFP, Trendweight, Apple Health and the Weight Diary app. Step on the scale, let it do its thing and you're done - it all syncs up automatically.

The only reading I pay any attention to is weight, since BIA is a very unreliable way of measuring bodyfat. It is entertaining to see the BF% numbers fluctuate anywhere from 2% - 5% from one day to the next though, lol.
  • emmycantbemeeko
    emmycantbemeeko Posts: 303 Member
    synacious wrote: »
    I hesitated on purchasing a wireless scale due to the price, but I ended up receiving a Fitbit Aria for Christmas and let me just say that I LOVE it.

Pros
    • You step on the scale and your work is done. It automatically syncs the data to Fitbit, MFP, and sites like Trendweight if you use it. That's a real time-saver.
    • Building on the mention of Trendweight, I love being able to look at my data and progression with Trendweight. I saw people mention it before I got the Aria and I didn't know how useful it would be until I started to use the site. I know my water weight trends, what meals cause temporary "gain", and I can usually look in the mirror and predict my weight to 0.2 pounds. You can do things like this manually in Excel, sure, but I like just having the information there.
    • This is a minimal benefit, but I like that the scale goes in increments of 0.1lb. My old scale went in increments of 0.2lb and I'd take an average of three weigh-ins. It's a very nitpicky thing on my part, but I'm really rigid at times when it comes to numbers/data.

Cons
    • For some, the price point. The Aria is ~$120 on Amazon and the Withings scale is ~$130. However, if you can afford it, go for it.
    • The BF% must be taken with a huge grain of salt. I will say that my old scale, an Omron, would constantly give me a BF% readout of 27 to 29% and that would vary throughout the day. I started at 139 pounds and it gave me a readout of 32% BF, at 115 pounds I was still getting readouts of 27 to 29% when I have visible abs. The Aria gives me a readout of 18.5 to 20% depending on the time of the month, but normally it varies between 19 and 19.5%. Do I believe I'm actually only 19% BF even though I'm 5'3.5" and 112.5 pounds? Not a chance. I'd estimate I'm more like 23 or 24% BF, but I wouldn't know for sure unless I got a DEXA scan.

The Fitbit doesn't say what your BMI is, just your weight and BF%. That's not an issue for me because my BMI is something I can find online in a few seconds. I don't know what POF is, so I can't address that question. I have no idea what the Withings scale is like, but I didn't see a mention of BMI on the description. However, I did see that when you weigh-in it takes your heart rate as well, but I really don't see the point of that honestly.
    synacious wrote: »

Pros

Cons

Your BMI is on the Fitbit app, if you tap your weight and then the chart, BMI is one of the drop-down options for data to display over time.

I love my Aria, too. It's certainly not *necessary*, any more than MFP is necessary to calorie counting- it just makes it easy and seamless to record and utilize your scale data. If cost is a major consideration, of course there are cheaper options that will give you your weight. For me, I've had the Aria over a year now and I have been far more consistent in weighing since I got it.

No such thing as "forgetting" to record an unwelcome weight or five with a wifi scale.