Need advice for new strength training routine

Options
Here's the deal: I need something different and don't know where to start!

I know what I am doing (for the most part) in the weight room, I know what the different exercises are (or at least I can look them up on Youtube), but I really need to find a good routine that can supplement my normal workouts since it is mostly cardio.

I box 3 days a week and am planning to start training soon for my first amateur fight (yay!) which will probably take that number up to 5 days a week. Through boxing I have lost all the weight that I want to and it has done wonders for my upper body (arms, upper back, abs, etc.) but not as much for my lower body.

I know there is no such thing as "target weight loss" but I would really like to slim down my legs and butt.

Does anyone know of any good routines, references, websites, etc that I can do on my off days (1-2 days a week) that would give me a good starting point, or maybe some place that continually updates their routines so that I don't get bored?

I thank everyone in advance for the advice! :flowerforyou:

Replies

• rick_po
    rick_po Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    Whatever beginner strength training program you do, make sure they do these things:

1. Emphasis on compound lifts. squats, deadlifts, bench press, overhead press, rows, lat pulldowns/pullups, maybe a couple others.

2. Start with light weights until you learn good form. Okay to do high reps at this point.

3. Have a plan or schedule for adding weight. You can add weight pretty aggressively at first, maybe even every workout. Make sure you keep good form.

4. Add weight until you are struggling to complete 5-8 reps in your last set.

I think using free weights is by far the easiest way to do a strength program, but you can do it with machines, or body weight exercises. If you don't start with free weights, be careful if you later decide to shift over to free weights - your stabilizer muscles may be weak, or your form might be sloppy. De-load and be extra careful.

Most beginner routines lift 3 times a week. If you're training hard for some other athletic event, you might cut back to lifting just twice a week. Your progress will be slower, but that's okay if you have other goals.
  • laurenmanderson1
    laurenmanderson1 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I'll definitely keep all that in mind. Thanks!
  • Charweezie
    Charweezie Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I just found this site and i love it.. you just pick what equipment you have and what muscle you want to work on and it helps to build a workout routine for you.

http://workoutlabs.com/

ENJOY!