Need help new to high activity/exercise

Options
Ok so my brother and I started working out together, he's also on MFP. Before he came to live with me I was walking/jogging and working my way up to running then doing some sit
Ups pushups ect. Well we also quit smoking together and made a deal to run or work out each I time we get a strong craving. Sounded great, yesterday we ran 3 times only for 8 to 10 mins each mind you my running is actually jogging since I haven't ran in 17 yrs. We did 2 other pinterest workouts with a good mix of things. This is day 4 and we have been doing a lot the last 3 days. Scale says I'm up 7 pounds which I'm not worried about I know why because I can feel my muscles are hurting and it's water, ect. I'm able to go a further distance before hitting my wall so I'm very proud but today I hurt so bad I can barely get dressed. Is it safe to continue and maybe just do one run and one workout later? I'm new to the fitness world really and I don't want to stop completely but my brother threw in the towel today and says he needs a rest. I know myself enough to know if I don't continue with something I will go back to my old ways. Anyone know what would be a good recommended routine to do a few times a day when needed without hurting my body?

Replies

• no_day_but_2day
    no_day_but_2day Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Low impact exercises are great in order to keep your vibe up. I am the same way. When I get bogged down and my body aches, I usually just do another sort of workout that is either low impact (walking 3-3.5mph uphill on treadmill) for about 30-45 minutes or I work out a part of my body that doesn't ache. If it's my legs like ache (like today, I did a 30 mile bikeride yesterday) I did the elliptical because I couldn't run and I did a tricep/bicep workout. A day should be enough time for my legs to stop feeling like jello and I'll be back to running tomorrow. PS, I also quit smoking and what truly helped me was swimming. You just can't smoke and swim. I've smoked and ran but swimming is just a whole other animal. Good Luck and Don't Give UP!!!!!
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Holy cow, how many minutes of exercise does this total up each day and at what intensity?

And instead of getting up and running out the door when you get a craving to smoke, why not just get out of the place where you are at the moment the urge hits and take a slow walk or something to remove you from where you are and when the urge hit?

Going all out in the first several days not a good idea. You still need to workup to being fit. I am not going to go straight from the couch and run 5 miles in the first two or three days, I am sure to injure my self or work muscles I have not worked in quite a while way to hard..

So ease back, slowly work your self into this. Maybe a run one day, and another workout the next day. Take leisurely walks when the smoking urges come (trust me I get this). After doing this for several weeks not only will the smoking urges ease, but you will be getting stronger and able to change up your exercise as you see fit.

If in the next few weeks to a month have passed perhaps you can run in the morning and do another workout later. I actually work out twice a day (run 5:30 a.m. and strength train before lunch... but I am in training for a race so after that is over it will get tapered back, so be careful and do not set yourself up for burnout or injury and know your limits!!!!)

• computerfox82
    computerfox82 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    If your body is truly tired and hurting, then you may need to take a rest day. Maybe do some yoga or something similar instead. Hope you feel better.
  • Hotshot_Barretta
    Hotshot_Barretta Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your help! I really appreciate it! I will do some walking today to keep my muscles stretched and not get too stiff.