Starvation Mode

Options
I know there is a camp of people who don't "believe in starvation mode" and I would like to politely ask those people not to join this conversation :) Thanks!

I have a very heat sensitive body and when it is as hot as it has been (90-100 degrees F) I just can't eat. I log everything that goes in my mouth besides water and yesterday I only got to 750 calories. I couldn't have shoved any more in. It's been like that for a few days and it looks like the weather is not changing for at least two weeks. So, here are my questions: how long does it actually take to get into starvation mode (I'm at 244lbs if it matters) and do you actually get into starvation mode if you don't feel starved?

Replies

• cingle87
    cingle87 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    The term stavation mode is not a great way to describe what happens to the body, basically in "starvation mode" you metabolism slows down due to lack of calories consumes and stores more because it doesnt know when its next meal is going to be. The body is design to keep you alive so during the time of famine will try and hold on to calories to keep you alive.

As to how long this takes it varies from person to person. However it can takes weeks or months of sustained under eating for your body to slow down, one or two days arnt going to do any harm but just try and not make a habit of it.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,998 Member
    Options
    At 244 lbs it's unlikely you'll ever be in what you consider starvation mode.
  • recoveryjunky
    recoveryjunky Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    So is that a fat joke or are you saying that larger people can't be in starvation mode?
  • AbsoluteNG
    AbsoluteNG Posts: 1,079 Member
    Options
    No it's not a joke. You should be more worried about insulin resistance at your current weight than something that only exist in the land of goblins, trolls, and fairy tales.
  • chatogal
    chatogal Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    bump
  • csheltra26
    csheltra26 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Months and years of undereating can lead to issues with your metabolism, it did for me. It may not be called "starvation mode" but I gained weight eating at a deficit because my body was overworked and underfed.

Eventually your body will want to eat more food, just do so when you are ready. I'm not sure a few weeks will really do you harm. But i would try to eat more if you can.
  • cingle87
    cingle87 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I dont think it was a joke, I think he point he was trying to make albit crudley it that the higher the bf% the harder it is for the metabolism to slow, because Fat is a source of fuel and will be used as such. Like I said early it will take months of under eating to slow it down, and by that point your body will have used a vast amount of your BF!
  • jkestens63
    jkestens63 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    At 244 lbs it's unlikely you'll ever be in what you consider starvation mode.

Wow, I don't know if this person meant to come off mean and snotty but just, WOW. You'd think on a site like this people would be a little more sensitive.

I honestly don't know if there is such a thing as starvation mode. However, I do know for myself, if I don't eat all of the calories available to me, including my exercise calories, after a few days I start binging like crazy. It's like my body is telling me "Hey, you're not feeding me enough so I'm just gonna eat whatever the heck I want and lots of it so it doesn't happen again."

According to the above poster, I would be too fat to actually starve but my body feels that way. You have to listen to yours. Trying eating more calorie dense foods like peanut butter, protein shakes and bars to get the calories in without feeling like you are stuffing yourself but still get the calories and more importantly, some nutrition in.
  • bacitracin
    bacitracin Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    There are documented instances of obese humans undergoing medically supervised fasting for over a month with only water and multivitamins being consumed. Take from that what you will.
  • Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    You have to under eat for several months to damage (or lower) your metabolism.. I wouldn't worry about a few days.. but you should still work on getting your calories up.
  • SteveStedge1
    SteveStedge1 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    So is that a fat joke or are you saying that larger people can't be in starvation mode?

Generally people don't make fat jokes on this board. It would kinda be an *kitten* thing to do. I'm assuming that poster was getting at the fact that since you have an abundance of healthy fat reserves, you body won't drop your metabolism into "starvation mode" until your bodyfat percent is down quite a bit.

Reading you post I was reminded of a man in (England I think) who, under a doctors supervision, ate NOTHING for a whole year but water and vitamins.

750 calories isnt enough everyday, but if you do that occasionally I don't think you have to worry about starvation mode. And since you don't feel hungry, no problem. I will say your brain does need carbs to function, just keep that in mind.
  • recoveryjunky
    Options
    Thanks for the responses guys :) I'm was really scared about that! I have lost 30lbs since April and have heard about people stalling their weight loss after even a week of low calories... I was hoping that wasn't true and it sounds like it isn't :)
  • herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options
    While it's hot you could try to eat more calorie dense foods like cheese, peanut butter, nuts, etc. It will help you get closer to your goal without making you feel as if you're force feeding yourself.
  • Brad805
    Brad805 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    It was not a fat joke. Shifts in ones metabolism is broken into two basic parts. The first change is simply the result of one losing weight. That should be straight forward. Weigh less, require less. The second change is referred to as the adaptive component. That metabolic shift tends not to have much effect until one is at lower BF levels. Read the Minnesota study if you like on this topic.

From what you described I would be more concerned about what effect you are having on your hormones (grhelin, leptin, thyroid...). Our bodies like to be fat, and tend to throw up road blocks to hold on to fat by adjusting different hormone levels. Those hormones affect the release of fat for use. Some of us have more difficulty than others.
  • erikalanem
    erikalanem Posts: 48
    Options

I honestly don't know if there is such a thing as starvation mode. However, I do know for myself, if I don't eat all of the calories available to me, including my exercise calories, after a few days I start binging like crazy. It's like my body is telling me "Hey, you're not feeding me enough so I'm just gonna eat whatever the heck I want and lots of it so it doesn't happen again."

Ditto.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    I only want my beliefs to be confirmed, please don't bring differing opinions :) Thanks!

I have a very heat sensitive body and when it is as hot as it has been (90-100 degrees F) I just can't eat. I log everything that goes in my mouth besides water and yesterday I only got to 750 calories. I couldn't have shoved any more in. It's been like that for a few days and it looks like the weather is not changing for at least two weeks. So, here are my questions: how long does it actually take to get into starvation mode (I'm at 244lbs if it matters) and do you actually get into starvation mode if you don't feel starved?

Fixed
  • toutmonpossible
    toutmonpossible Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    I dont think it was a joke, I think he point he was trying to make albit crudley it that the higher the bf% the harder it is for the metabolism to slow, because Fat is a source of fuel and will be used as such. Like I said early it will take months of under eating to slow it down, and by that point your body will have used a vast amount of your BF!

I was reading today that a woman doesn't even have to begin to worry about starvation mode unless she's 10% body fat (and of course there are elite women athletes at that percentage). As you said, people only have problems if they are eating severely low-calorie meals (much less than 750) for weeks or months and are low-weight.

When people talk here about the "myth" of starvation mode, they don't mean that it never happens, only that the people who are anxious about it are nowhere near a weight where this could ever be a problem. Their worries are misplaced.

If you have the stomach for it, watch the movie "The Hunger," about an Irish political prisoner who goes on a hunger strike. He starves to death because he eats absolutely nothing and refuses all nourishment, including liquids. Although the character is a thin man, even he doesn't starve overnight. It takes at least a couple of months.
  • Lili0817
    Lili0817 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    It's just not healthy to eat 700 calories. This will deffinitly slow down your metabolism, making your body store fat. Plus, if you're working out then you won't even have any energy. AND you will lose your precious muscle too! :( And it's sooo much harder to gain muscle then lose fat.
    What about making yourself a shake to drink during hot days?? It's much easier then making yourself eat food. I like to make my shakes with almond milk, ice, protein powder, frozen kale, frozen berries, flex or chia seed. Try it! very refreshing, healthy and filling.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    Can I also suggest you take cool baths to be more comfortable and make it easier to eat? And plan to eat a meal after 10 when it is cool?

I eat much less in the summer than winter. It is actually not unusual for me to net under 1000 calories (or less) in the summer. Last week I was a whole day's worth of calories short. In the winter, it's cold and I want to eat more.

I lose more in the summer than the winter. No slowing of metabolism - it seems faster, actually.

But I really recommend eating your higher calorie meal LATE in the day and early in the morning, as they do in most countries where it is blazing hot.
  • recoveryjunky
    Options
    I only want my beliefs to be confirmed, please don't bring differing opinions :) Thanks!

Fixed

I'm sorry, but I didn't want the chain of "it's not real," "it's not real," "it's not real" that I've seen before :)