good salad dressing

Options
Does anyone have a salad dressing recipe with low carbs and sugar in it. Or is there one out on the food market? I go crazy reading all the bottles. thanks

Replies

• chunky_pinup
    chunky_pinup Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    Have you ever thought about just using vinegar? I like Balsamic Vinegar on my salads (not a salad "vinaigrette").

Also, salsa in lieu of dressing is pretty tasty, but I don't know about the carbs on that.
  • morey235
    morey235 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    thank you, good thought.
  • dotti1121
    dotti1121 Posts: 751 Member
    Options
    I'm a ranch girl, and I've yet to find a light or low-calorie dressing that tastes good enough to satisfy me. For me, I just allow calories for the regular ranch dressing...
  • qb63
    qb63 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I love the Opa brand yogurt based dressings. Low in calories, carbs, and sugar and VERY tasty! Love the feta dill and the Cesar. Even the blue cheese is very good.
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Have you ever thought about just using vinegar? I like Balsamic Vinegar on my salads (not a salad "vinaigrette").

Also, salsa in lieu of dressing is pretty tasty, but I don't know about the carbs on that.

This, I use either apple cider or balsamic and add spices depending on my mood. Oregano, basil, garlic and pepper sometimes some red pepper flakes. Or sometimes just garlic, salt and pepper. It is really yummy.
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options

• one235
    one235 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    thank you all very much
  • karmelpopcorn
    karmelpopcorn Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I like to make the Good Seasons salad dressing packets. You can adjust the amount of oil in them.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    Balsamic vinegar and olive oil. Use it sparingly - it's got tons of flavor.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    I like balsamic vinegar, olive oil, and some good mustard.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    dotti1121 wrote: »
    I'm a ranch girl, and I've yet to find a light or low-calorie dressing that tastes good enough to satisfy me. For me, I just allow calories for the regular ranch dressing...
    I hear ya! The ranch dressing I have is 70cals per TBS, but I find that I don't need any more than that. :)

Try different oils and vinegars. I personally love malt or balsamic with cucumbers.

• Nuke_64
    Nuke_64 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Bolthouse Farms yogurt dressing. Its in the produce section. 35-45 cals per tablespoon for creamy dressings.
  • ematt
    ematt Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I often blend greek yogurt, olive oil, lemon juice, ground sumac, and salt. It's delicious and super easy.
  • bisky
    bisky Posts: 1,000 Member
    Options
    I use lemon infused olive oil....it does not take much to get a good flavor and balsamic glaze...it is thicker and delicious on vegetables.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    morey235 wrote: »
    Does anyone have a salad dressing recipe with low carbs and sugar in it. Or is there one out on the food market? I go crazy reading all the bottles. thanks

Balsamic vinegar (with or without a little olive oil).

Red wine vinegar and your favorite mustard (I like dijon or a spicy brown mustard).

For certain kinds of salads -- sriracha, lime, soy sauce, maybe a bit of fish sauce.

Almost any good vinegar plus olive oil (you only need a little oil).

You can do greek yogurt based ones too, but I don't like creamy salad dressings so am not a good source for those.
  • shinycrazy
    shinycrazy Posts: 1,081 Member
    Options
    I love Bolthouse's yogurt dressings. Very reasonable calorie/carb wise and tasty. I find them in the packaged salad section of the produce aisle. http://www.bolthouse.com/products/dressings
  • wl4v
    wl4v Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Get a really good balsamic vinegar and a little oil. You need a little fat with your salad so you can properly absorb the nutrients from it. If you aren't using oil, add some healthy fats from avocado or nuts.
    You can vary this up with any herbs or spices that compliment your salad.

For those of you that like ranch, try making your own with yogurt. Mix dill, parsley, garlic powder and onion powder to taste. If you like the buttermilk ranch, get powdered buttermilk and add to the mix.

• brendak76
    brendak76 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Just olive oil and salt.

Giardinara is good too.
  • TammyLML
    TammyLML Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    I'm a huge fan of Opa dressings as well - excellent! Their ranch is 60 cal per 2 tablespoons. Marie's also makes a good yogurt Ranch at 70 cal per 2 tablespoons. Also love the Marie's Raspberry Vinaigrette, which is 50 cal but admittedly has some sugar in it. Opa and Maries are both found in the produce section.
  • pussingtonp
    pussingtonp Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I dunno about your macros, but I mix 15g of honey goats cheese with 2 tablespoons of apple balsamic vinegar. It is amazing! Sweet yet tangy, and really coats the lettuce well to disguise that "green" taste!