Keeping up with a toddler

Options
Why isn't playing with/chasing/dressing a toddler listed as a valid exercise in the exercise database?!

:smiley:

Replies

• nordlead2005
    nordlead2005 Posts: 1,303 Member
    Options
    Because there is little point in listing every thing under the sun in the database. Just pick something that is equivalent if you want to log it as the entire DB is based on MET (metabolic equivalent tasks) anyways.

So, playing with children is in the 1.5-5.8 MET range depending on what you are doing (based on published tables). Reading would be 1.5 MET, playing "vigorously" would be 5.3. Of course, the higher values only apply for active periods, so you can't just pick the highest and apply that to 1hr unless you really did 1 hour. Also, subtract 1.0 from all the results so you don't double count your BMR (the same is true of any exercise in the MFP database, but at lower MET values the effect is a higher % of the total).

To put that into perspective, running walking 4mph has a MET value of 5.0.
  • socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    Dressing a toddler - what next - giving them a bath?????????
  • dotti1121
    dotti1121 Posts: 751 Member
    Options
    I meant this as a very light-hearted, sarcastic post....
  • Nuke_64
    Nuke_64 Posts: 406 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Being a parent of a young one is usually a good reasons to adjust your activity level from "sedentary" to "light."

Socajam, I guess you have never dressed a toddler?
  • wordyroo
    wordyroo Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Or bathed one... or carried two screaming ones in to/out of daycare. Now that was a workout!
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    When I first joined MFP I set my activity level to lightly active because I knew chasing a toddler had to count for something.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    dotti1121 wrote: »
    I meant this as a very light-hearted, sarcastic post....

I read it when it was first posted and took it that way. :)

I don't know how many times a day I tell my toddler how exhausting he is.
    I've broken a sweat trying to dress him.
  • bendyourkneekatie
    bendyourkneekatie Posts: 696 Member
    Options
    I figure the extra calories I burn chasing/wrangling my two are offset by the bites of their food I end up having. Though the food they steal from me, hmm, I guess it's just a bonus..
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    katem999 wrote: »
    I figure the extra calories I burn chasing/wrangling my two are offset by the bites of their food I end up having. Though the food they steal from me, hmm, I guess it's just a bonus..

Oooh. That's a good point.