What does this mean "Burn more calories than you eat" to lose weight?

Options
2»

Replies

• blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    If your bmr is 2101 calories then you're burning at least that much. Not sure why you claim you only burn 1800 if your bmr is 300 more than that.

And if you're eating 1500 and burning 1800 (or 2100...) then uh...yeah...that's less...

i burn 1800 calories by walking.

18+ miles a day? Not just steps, but deliberate walking?
  • AamirKhan2016
    AamirKhan2016 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    If your bmr is 2101 calories then you're burning at least that much. Not sure why you claim you only burn 1800 if your bmr is 300 more than that.

And if you're eating 1500 and burning 1800 (or 2100...) then uh...yeah...that's less...

That must be one hell of a walk.

ok do your math or check it on MFP exercise database

Weight: 244 lb
    Pace: 3.8 mph
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    Assuming 20-something year old male: An hour walking @ 3mph burns approx 450. An hour walking @ 4mph burns approx 550. But you'd burn ~100 an hour just doing basic activities. So its an additional burn of only about 350-450.

So if you're walking 4+ hours per day then claiming 1800 cardio calories may be reasonable. But it would also be wise to eat more than 1500/day at this level of exertion.

• MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    Options
    Try this site to calculate your burn from walking. I find it to be pretty accurate.

shapesense.com/fitness-exercise/calculators/walking-calorie-burn-calculator.shtml
  • MommyL2015
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Out of curiosity, on that link I gave above, I put your weight of 244, gave you an incline of 8% and a 15 minute mile (which would be faster than 3.8 mph) it gives you a burn of 246 calories per mile.

I think your 1800 calories is off, unless you are walking at that speed and incline for 7 hours a day.

Edit: Typo
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options

For how long? That's kind of an important piece of data in order to assess the accuracy of the equation...
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    If your BMR is 2101, how the hell are you only burning 1800 calories a day? That's impossible. BMR is the amount of calories you would burn per day if you were in a coma - the amount of calories just you maintain your weight without any activity at all. So no, you're not only burning 1800 calories a day and no, 1500 calories is not enough for an adult man. Eat more.

A lot of people think "eat less than you burn" means you have to eat fewer calories than you burn during workouts. Not the case. Your body is constantly burning calories, even if you're sitting still or sleeping. In order to be in a calorie deficit, you need to eat fewer calories than your TDEE, which is the amount of calories you burn throughout your day, including daily activities, exercise, sleep, etc.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    If your BMR is 2101, how the hell are you only burning 1800 calories a day? That's impossible. BMR is the amount of calories you would burn per day if you were in a coma - the amount of calories just you maintain your weight without any activity at all. So no, you're not only burning 1800 calories a day and no, 1500 calories is not enough for an adult man. Eat more.

A lot of people think "eat less than you burn" means you have to eat fewer calories than you burn during workouts. Not the case. Your body is constantly burning calories, even if you're sitting still or sleeping. In order to be in a calorie deficit, you need to eat fewer calories than your TDEE, which is the amount of calories you burn throughout your day, including daily activities, exercise, sleep, etc.

He's saying he's burning 1800 calories above his BMR with his walking...
  • AamirKhan2016
    AamirKhan2016 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »

For how long? That's kind of an important piece of data in order to assess the accuracy of the equation...

4+ hours
  • daniwilford
    daniwilford Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    MommyL2015 wrote: »
    Out of curiosity, on that link I gave above, I put your weight of 244, gave you an incline of 8% and a 15 minute mile (which would be faster than 3.8 mph) it gives you a burn of 246 calories per mile.

I think your 1800 calories is off, unless you are walking at that speed and incline for 7 hours a day.
    His profile states a residence in Islamabad, IS. If "IS" stands for "Islamic State" or if Islamabad, Pakistan, then he could be climbing mountains at a sharp incline and burn more calories.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,981 Member
    Options
    How much weight did you lose over the last month? From your thread http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332559/why-cant-i-run-what-to-do/p1 I get the impression you are not happy with your weight loss.

When I walk an hour a day consistently, I lose weight. If you're not losing weight while walking four hours per day, you're eating too much.
  • MommyL2015
    Options
    Well, he doesn't give much information, so my calculation was on a "if this, then that" scenario. He could be walking uphill in the desert 12 miles one way to school, but there's no way to know that until he says. All he says is he walks. After poking and prodding, he adds for 4+ hours.

If he's walking uphill in the snow for 12 miles one way to school and then back, then he might just be burning 1800 calories a day. If he's simply walking for 4 hours at 3.8 mph, he is not.
  • daniwilford
    daniwilford Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    MommyL2015 wrote: »
    Well, he doesn't give much information, so my calculation was on a "if this, then that" scenario. He could be walking uphill in the desert 12 miles one way to school, but there's no way to know that until he says. All he says is he walks. After poking and prodding, he adds for 4+ hours.

If he's walking uphill in the snow for 12 miles one way to school and then back, then he might just be burning 1800 calories a day. If he's simply walking for 4 hours at 3.8 mph, he is not.

If I was walking 4+ hours a day and eating 1500 calories or less, I would be hungry enough to eat the bear. Sorry, that's another tall tale my father used to tell us.
  • lemonlionheart
    lemonlionheart Posts: 580 Member
    Options

I would have to walk for 12 hours a day to burn that much.
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    How much weight did you lose over the last month? From your thread http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332559/why-cant-i-run-what-to-do/p1 I get the impression you are not happy with your weight loss.

When I walk an hour a day consistently, I lose weight. If you're not losing weight while walking four hours per day, you're eating too much.

Yes I think even he knows he's out-eating his walking...here's from the other thread...
    You made my day :p an hour ago i checkd my weight it is 244 lb. I lost 33 Pounds in 3 to 4 months but sometimes i eat too much when i am with my burger friends :smiley: in these 4 months there were some vacations there i ate 10000 calories in 2 days :'( i repeated this every month for 2 to 3 days i ate alot and then i came back to my diet+ walking routine.

So I don't know what is even going on here. That post was 5 days ago. Isn't 33 lbs in 3-4 months enough? Maybe he's been eating at 1500 calories for the last 5 days.