keeping weight off after a surgery

Hello! Does anyone have any experience with keeping weight off after a surgery? I am going to be non weight bearing and in a cast for 3 weeks, and then in a walking boot for who knows how long after. I am an avid everyday exerciser, and my eating habits are good but not THAT good, I am pretty sure 75% of my weight loss success comes from exercise. Between not being mobile, pain medicine, and being stuck at home... I am really worried about what that is going to do to my body and weight loss success. Any help would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks in advance!

Also any ideas for exercise (doesn't have to be for weight loss, can even be for the benefit of moving around and making sure muscles don't atrophy) that doesn't involve putting weight on one foot is a very welcome bonus!!!

Replies

• MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    Don't try to cut calories too much. Your body may need the extra calories for repair.
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/230673-how-to-heal-a-fractured-bone/
    Also important to keep your protein and calcium levels up.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Eat at maintenance or above for healing.
    Consider "chair boxing" on youtube.
  • Refrigerator1
    Refrigerator1 Posts: 25 Member
    Do you have a set of dumbbells? You can do all upper body weight lifting as well as abs with crunches, reverse crunches... You could also do leg extensions contracting your quads thus working legs. It may not be your normal routine, but sometimes it is nice to shake things up a bit even if it is unintentional. Making lemonade out of lemons, so to speak
  • ClosetBayesian
    ClosetBayesian Posts: 836 Member
    Time to get a handle on your food and your logging. I'm at Day 19 after foot surgery, complete with a boot, and I continued to lose weight after surgery, all through diet.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Yes. I've had major surgery three times while in the process of weight loss. I just eat lightly while exercise is restricted, get back to walking as soon as possible and then get back in the pool and then back to weight-bearing exercise as soon as the discharge instructions allow.

It is amazing how much endurance one can lose in just a couple of weeks, but all that you can do is to deal with it and move forward.

If you have access to physical therapy, take full advantage of the therapy and pick the PT's brain about how to exercise on your own.