Can someone clarify please

Options
I'm set to have 1420 kcal a day.
If I excercise do you have an increased number of calories you can consume to make up what you burned in exercise, or do you ideally remain at the 1420 daily. I have lost about a pound in a week doesn't seem like much.
Just want to make sure I'm understanding things
Thank you

Replies

• ManiacalLaugh
    ManiacalLaugh Posts: 1,048 Member
    Options
    A pound a week is actually pretty darn good, especially if you're not extremely overweight.

The idea is to net the calories MFP gives you. So, if you exercise, that gives you additional calories you can eat back.

This being said, there are those of us who are a little skeptical of the burns certain machines or calorie burning calculators provide, so we eat only a fraction of those back.

For instance: MapMyRide reported an 800 calorie burn on my last bike ride. I ate back only 400 of those. So, although my normal deficit is 1,400 calories per day, I ate 1,800.

1800 calories intake - 400 calories burned off by exercise = 1400 calories net.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    If your calorie goal comes from MFP, it's designed for you to eat exercise calories back. Some people find the exercise database overestimates burn, so they only eat a portion of exercise calories back.

A pound a week is awesome!
  • dadizzy
    dadizzy Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Oh thank you guys.
    Just wanted to be sure
    I have a lot of weight to loose, but have been dieting most of my life, with minimal success.
    My thinking is that grasping the science correctly, will mean I'm doing the best I can.
    Thanks again
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    If you are losing a pound a week, that's optimal! Success!! :)
  • Br3ntG
    Br3ntG Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    If you eat back the calories you burn through exercise, you will lose weight slower than if you just stuck to your daily calorie goal. If you are already happy with your weight loss progress, this isn't an issue. I found the overestimation of calories burnt to slow down my weight loss so I don't log exercise anymore and just stick to a daily limit of calories regardless of how much exercise I do.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    Br3ntG wrote: »
    If you eat back the calories you burn through exercise, you will lose weight slower than if you just stuck to your daily calorie goal. If you are already happy with your weight loss progress, this isn't an issue. I found the overestimation of calories burnt to slow down my weight loss so I don't log exercise anymore and just stick to a daily limit of calories regardless of how much exercise I do.

Honest question: Doesn't this discourage you from exercise?
  • dadizzy
    Options
    Thanks, worth bearing that in mind
  • ElizabethOakes2
    ElizabethOakes2 Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    I eat back half my exercise calories per MFP- What MFP gives me per activity seems to be consistently about 100-110 calories over what my Garmin gives me. For example, according to MFP, my 90 minute power walk this morning gave me 440 calories, my Garmin says I burned 336 calories. I figure if I eat back 150-200 calories, then I'm in good shape.
    I find that if I don't eat back at least some of my exercise calories, I'm hungry and tired. Hungry and tired is no way to live! (And I'm consistently losing 1 to 1 1/2 pounds a week.)
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    How long have you been doing this? It sounds like only one week, so you need to be patient. It takes a few weeks for many people to see results, but as others have said, 1 lb per week is great!
  • Mavrick_RN
    Mavrick_RN Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Jruzer wrote: »

I do the same thing. Just stick with the original calorie goal and let the exercise calories pile up. My purpose for exercising is not to eat more or punish myself for having eaten more.

I want to get back into shape so I can enjoy my hiking and biking without being all out of breath and my joints hurting. A hike in the National Forest or Park is NOT exercise it is pure pleasure.

I go to the gym and do 45 minutes on the elliptical and a 15 minute weight circuit on Saturday when my wife is in her clogging class. We meet up afterwards. Exercise for both of us. On Tuesdays it's just me but pretty much the same thing. I throw in some rowing or stretching to mix it up.
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options
    Mavrick_RN wrote: »
    Jruzer wrote: »

I do the same thing. Just stick with the original calorie goal and let the exercise calories pile up. My purpose for exercising is not to eat more or punish myself for having eaten more.

I want to get back into shape so I can enjoy my hiking and biking without being all out of breath and my joints hurting. A hike in the National Forest or Park is NOT exercise it is pure pleasure.

I go to the gym and do 45 minutes on the elliptical and a 15 minute weight circuit on Saturday when my wife is in her clogging class. We meet up afterwards. Exercise for both of us. On Tuesdays it's just me but pretty much the same thing. I throw in some rowing or stretching to mix it up.

Concur! How would it discourage me from exercise? That's only if I see food as the reward of exercise, but I don't. Once I get to maintenance I will be more conscious of my exercise calories. But I also feel like going for a walk is something I should do for my health, not some excuse to eat more.

• dadizzy
    Options
    I'm on my first week of this.
    I've started a body toning programme which is three times a week, and I do a keep fit once a week.which I've been doing for about a year, when able to.
    Hopefully this combination, with counted calories, and I will get there.
    It's early days, that's for sure, but I am desperate to get into shape and lose weight.
    I'm taking a reserved approach to start, as I've had some health issues, so dipping my feet in the water carefully.
    I feel good about it all so far. Looking forward to telling my doctor about in a couple of weeks when I see him,
    Feeling as though I'm gaining control of myself. Which has got to be good.
    My day off tomorrow so hoping to go for a good walk in the forest, as you say being out in the air is a pleasure
    I will heed what you have suggested. I guess by saving exercise calories, it offers some extra if needed, and if not that's fine. Sounds as though you are doing a good job yourself, well done.
    I will keep you posted. And a Big thank you for the support
    Dadizzy