body fat percentage?

Options
Ok, I've just got some questions on this, which method of measurement is correct?
These scales are from an Army fitness thingy.
The female bf% scale is by hip girth and height.
The male bf% scale is by waist girth and weight.
My results on the female scale show 33-34, male shows 22-23.
Since I'm female I'd guess thats the measure I should go with, but im confused about this: both my waist and weight can change with diet/exercise. But I'm pretty sure I'm done growing height wise, and my hip girth was the same -20 lbs ago, so I assume its pretty constant.
Which or neither is correct? Or does the army just discriminate against chicks with big butts?

Replies

• senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    Ok, I've just got some questions on this, which method of measurement is correct?
    These scales are from an Army fitness thingy.
    The female bf% scale is by hip girth and height.
    The male bf% scale is by waist girth and weight.
    My results on the female scale show 33-34, male shows 22-23.
    Since I'm female I'd guess thats the measure I should go with, but im confused about this: both my waist and weight can change with diet/exercise. But I'm pretty sure I'm done growing height wise, and my hip girth was the same -20 lbs ago, so I assume its pretty constant.
    Which or neither is correct? Or does the army just discriminate against chicks with big butts?

There is only one correct way to find body fat percentage, and you'd never find out your own results from it - at least burnt corpses seem oblivious to body fat percentage information.
    That said, if you identify female, you probably want to use a measurement method intended for females.
    Hips can increase in fat deposition regardless if gender but even without, part of the point, particularly with rather immutable height, is generating a ratio. Adiposity tends to increase waist to height and waist to hip ratio as it increases.