Casein protein for women building muscle

Options
Good evening! Have any of you ladies that have worked on building strength and muscle used casein protein? And if so, suggestions on brand? My husband recently suggested I take a scoop of casein before bed on my weightlifting days to help restore the proteins while I sleep. Thoughts???

Replies

• babicak3z
    babicak3z Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    My husband and I did the same thing I haven't drink casein since I've been pregnant the baby is a 1.5 umm the brand we use is elite or optimum nutrition
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I have used both- I personally don't like casien as much as whey. - I feel like it doesn't blend out as well quite frankly.

But either are fine if you are having a hard time meeting your protein goals.
  • babicak3z
    babicak3z Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    I have used both- I personally don't like casien as much as whey. - I feel like it doesn't blend out as well quite frankly.

That's true if you use it in the shaker bottle it won't blend well I hate that I would blend mines.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    babicak3z wrote: »

That's true if you use it in the shaker bottle it won't blend well I hate that I would blend mines.

Trutein is a whey/casein blend and it mixes very well in a shaker bottle. Same with Dymatize Elite Gourmet, which I used for several months before switching to Trutein. I like the casein because it adds thickness/creaminess to the shake (in addition to the casein being a slower-digesting protein).
  • deeowens867
    deeowens867 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Beverly Brand UMP (Cookies & Creme) - It's my nighttime snack - I mix to pudding consistency and freeze a bit!
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Beverly Brand UMP (Cookies & Creme) - It's my nighttime snack - I mix to pudding consistency and freeze a bit!

I also have a protein pudding for dessert most nights. OP my favourite is Optimum Nutrition choc/peanut butter Casein.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,574 Member
    Options
    pdwhitlock wrote: »
    Good evening! Have any of you ladies that have worked on building strength and muscle used casein protein? And if so, suggestions on brand? My husband recently suggested I take a scoop of casein before bed on my weightlifting days to help restore the proteins while I sleep. Thoughts???
    Broscience. If you're reaching your daily needs of protein, drinking an extra shake at night just means more calories. You DON'T get extra credit for exceeding your macros.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • pdwhitlock
    pdwhitlock Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Very helpful. Thank you!
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    babicak3z wrote: »

I've found it doesn't mix as well in whatever I put it in- perhaps I just don't like the thickness of it.