expired protein?

Options
Does protein powder really expire? I was given quite a few jugs of protein that are quite a bit past the use by date. Factory Sealed and stored in a basment.i tried some Taste and smells normal.

Replies

• hgycta
    hgycta Posts: 3,013 Member
    Options
    I recall reading somewhere that while they should still be safe to consume, the protein may lose some of its potential and not be as strong or readily absorbed. Not 100% sure though, I'm just going off memory!
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Go by the smell. If it smells bad, then toss it.
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    Options
    Name the brand and ask again.
    Could it be that they were "pulled" from store shelves because of some reason?
    Careful with things that contain ingredients from China
  • CassidyScaglione
    CassidyScaglione Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    My dad used expired ones and never died, but I probably wouldn't.
  • richln
    richln Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    I was searching and found this:
    http://www.menshealth.com/nutrition/expired-protein-powder
    Looks like it is safe, but the AA lysine decomposes, so it is not as complete of a protein anymore.

Now for the pre-mixed protein drinks, I definitely know that you don't want to keep them past expiration date. I found that out the hard way.
  • dstromley90
    dstromley90 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Name the brand and ask again.
    Could it be that they were "pulled" from store shelves because of some reason?
    Careful with things that contain ingredients from China

its optimum nutrition. my buddys the manager at local nutrition store and it was all expired so they were gonna throw it out. he gave them to me instead. thanks for the responses ive had three shakes and so far so good.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    How long is "quite a bit past" the date? I would be ok with months but probably not years.
  • dstromley90
    dstromley90 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    How long is "quite a bit past" the date? I would be ok with months but probably not years.

A little over a year :/ .I was sketchy about it but seems to be ok.