Coffee??

Options
Hi guys, I've been reading about the benefits of drinking coffee for some time, and I've decided to start drinking it. I know nothing about coffee, I think it's gross, but my goal is to drink a cup of coffee in the morning and quit diet soda. I bought a coffee pot, a single serve bag of French vanilla flavored coffee grounds and some silk almond milk coffee creamer. I followed directions on package but the coffee came out quite strong. I put 1T creamer and 2 Hershey kisses in the coffee and was able to drink 1/2 cup. Today I bought Archer Farms Vanilla Bean Creme Brûlée light roast coffee, and my goal is to work myself up to the darker roast coffee eventually. What I was wondering was how can I find out caffeine content for an 8oz cup? I can't find any concrete info online. Also, if anyone has any suggestions on a good coffee to buy, I'd appreciate any feedback, thanks.

Replies

• SaleemahR
    SaleemahR Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Hi, what do the directions on the package say. Not familiar with that brand. For an 8oz cup, I would suggest just trying a teaspoon and see if that helps or even half of a teaspoon if that's too strong.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Been drinking coffee for years, and my favorite morning cup is Peet's, and I drink it black. A good quality roast makes all the difference in the world.

But if you don't really like coffee, why bother? I don't think the health benefits are worth forcing it down, or loading it up with creamers, flavors and candy to make it palatable to you! :smile:
  • m_burkey
    m_burkey Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Alton Brown will teach you all you need: altonbrown.com/how-to-brew-best-cup-of-coffee-at-home/
  • hgycta
    hgycta Posts: 3,013 Member
    Options
    You're trying to work yourself up to the darker roast? Why? The lighter roast has more caffeine, so I'd assume it would have better health benefits too ;)
  • koffeekakes
    koffeekakes Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    AmyRhubarb wrote: »
    Been drinking coffee for years, and my favorite morning cup is Peet's, and I drink it black. A good quality roast makes all the difference in the world.

But if you don't really like coffee, why bother? I don't think the health benefits are worth forcing it down, or loading it up with creamers, flavors and candy to make it palatable to you! :smile:

Agreed. Coffee is toooooo amazing to have to choke down! I also drink it black so as not to RUIN IT lol! But no, everyone has his/her own preference, but I do feel like adding things to it makes it dessert-y. Bleh. I always tell my friends that if they give it 3 solid weeks of black coffee, they mightttttt just change their minds about adding stuff. But again, to each his own.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I don't like coffee either. I have to add loads of milk and sugar to make it half way enjoyable, so I don't bother and just stick with tea, which also has caffeine, just not as much as coffee.
    Sorry, don't have any tips for you :blushing:
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Why would you drink it if you don't like it? I've heard of people trying to quit coffee, you're definitely the first I've heard forcing yourself to drink it.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    One thing that I decided very early in the weight loss process was that I would neither make myself eat food I don't like or give up foods that I do in order to lose weight. So far it's worked out very well.
    In other words, if you don't like it, don't drink it. You can get similar benefits (ie caffeine) from plenty of other sources.
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Stick with Organic Decaff. Black. :)
  • MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    Options
    Caffeine content is going to vary by type of coffee and how strong you brew it. But, yeah, if you don't like it, why would you drink it? I hear great things about avocados but I can't stand them and there's no way I would force myself to eat them.

On the other hand, melting two Hershey kisses into my coffee sounds amazing. :) I might have to try it.
  • CassidyScaglione
    CassidyScaglione Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    Came on here hoping to find an interesting post about coffee, which I love, and instead found a bunch of people talking about trying to force themselves to consume something that they hate, just because they read an article that said it was good for you. Tea has caffeine too, drink that.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    light roast has better caffeine content. it also depends on how strong you brew it
  • kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    Why would you drink it if you don't like it? I've heard of people trying to quit coffee, you're definitely the first I've heard forcing yourself to drink it.

Yeah, I would think that any health benefits are simply incidental...no need to be miserable.
  • ASH_DVM
    ASH_DVM Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    HILLE85 wrote: »
    Hi guys, I've been reading about the benefits of drinking coffee for some time, and I've decided to start drinking it. I know nothing about coffee, I think it's gross, but my goal is to drink a cup of coffee in the morning and quit diet soda. I bought a coffee pot, a single serve bag of French vanilla flavored coffee grounds and some silk almond milk coffee creamer. I followed directions on package but the coffee came out quite strong. I put 1T creamer and 2 Hershey kisses in the coffee and was able to drink 1/2 cup. Today I bought Archer Farms Vanilla Bean Creme Brûlée light roast coffee, and my goal is to work myself up to the darker roast coffee eventually. What I was wondering was how can I find out caffeine content for an 8oz cup? I can't find any concrete info online. Also, if anyone has any suggestions on a good coffee to buy, I'd appreciate any feedback, thanks.

Are you sure you bought French vanilla and not French roast? Because most, if not all, flavored coffees I've seen are light roast.
  • nichalsont
    nichalsont Posts: 421 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I started drinking coffee about 3 years ago. I still can't drink black coffee. I need sweet n' low and a tbsp of liquid creamer and maybe a splash of skim milk. Those 35-40 calories make all the difference. My version may negate the health benefits, but I'll bet it is still better than soda.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    If you don't like coffee, don't drink it...the health benefits are largely from antioxidants found in the bean which can be found in a myriad of other things...I wouldn't force feed myself coffee if I didn't like it.

That said, maybe go with a lighter roast.
  • Yawnetu
    Yawnetu Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    hgycta wrote: »
    You're trying to work yourself up to the darker roast? Why? The lighter roast has more caffeine, so I'd assume it would have better health benefits too ;)

According to so-called coffee connoisseurs, darker or "bold" roast = burnt beans. The light or mild has more nuanced coffee flavor and is probably much more easy to get used to.

When I started drinking it in college, I put loads of sugar and cream in it. Gradually I stopped adding the sugar and cream and finally began to drink it straight black. I prefer it that way now - mild and without any additions. That is where you will get your best health benefits.

You might like to try a coffee press too. You can buy that from Walmart or Target, just add the grounds as dark or light as you like it, and let it steep for 4 minutes. Press and pour. Voilà!
  • jda876
    jda876 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    For caffeine content, one of the best sites I've found is www.caffeineinformer.com/the-caffeine-database
  • NaturalNancy
    NaturalNancy Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    I personally think coffee is so much better than diet pop with artificial sweeteners.

I like trader joes organic coffee.

I like creamer and soy milk.
  • hadley099
    hadley099 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    hmm ok, so what if one drinks an iced skinny vanilla latte from starbucks (160 cal) but its in there calorie goal for the day. Still terrible?