Why is my body fat percentage high even though I'm not overweight/obese?

Options
2»

Replies

• LHWhite903
    LHWhite903 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    shano25 wrote: »
    Go by what the mirror tells you.

Okay, but I have some loose skin from losing weight. How can I tell what's underneath that?

My Aria says 133.5 lbs and 24.5% BF but I know I can't be 100% sure of it's accuracy.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Some of the replies made me chuckle. :)

If you want to know your BF%, you need a bod pod. http://www.health.utah.edu/peak/services/health-fitness-testing/body-composition.php

DEXA 4 compartment model or GTFO!
  • kimberlygrace2015
    kimberlygrace2015 Posts: 12 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    25mllxiv3xd1.jpeg

1cvw015zo826.jpeg

I just took these today. I'm not extremely muscular, but I've been in some type of sport for most of my life (gymnastics, karate, swimming, or volleyball) and I do resistance training with machines pretty much every time I work out, which is 3-4 times a week. As I said, I'm not noticeably muscular but I can feel some muscle and I can lift heavier objects for a while (have to for work), so I feel like I'm pretty strong for what I look like. I do have extra fat that I've gained since college, though (I can tell by the wide view), but I don't think it's THAT much.
  • akboy58
    akboy58 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    My Fitbit Aria scale has had me at 19-20% body fat since I started daily weigh-ins last August. I had heard that those impedence readings were notoriously inaccurate; and the other day when I finally got my nutritionist to take measurements with calipers, she came up with 14% body fat. Guess which measurement I'm taking!
  • nicolemarie999
    nicolemarie999 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    The scales use bioimpediance, there is a high error value and your hydration levels can greatly affect the number you will get...many scales will also have a 'sedentary' or 'fit' setting, the number may change by 5% by changing this setting.