Best meal replacement shake, uk

Options
FeebRyan
FeebRyan Posts: 738 Member
Hello all, I need a decent meal replacement shake for lunch times

I work very hard and have started working out at the gym 4 or 5 times a week so I need something quick and easy that I can just grab. At the moment I've been struggling to find good cheap food on the go and so today, I bought some slim fast to replace my lunch meal.

But I know that slim fast is far from the best, so I want advice on what to use when it runs out :)

Replies

• FeebRyan
    Options
    Any recommendations at all?

I know that its the done thing to prepare wholesome grilled chicken breast based dinners on this site but unfortunately thats simply not possible for me at this point in time! I have to work as a homecarer which means i work during the day right over lunch, I drop the kids off, head to the gym, work and then pick them up again, there is no time to prepare food and i tried ready meals but they are full of salt and i didnt like it :(

So any advice would be fab :)
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Get up 10 minutes earlier and prepare yourself a salad or sandwich
  • bobf279
    bobf279 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    homemade soup
  • Gel_W
    Gel_W Posts: 20
    Options
    Thought about protein shakes and some kind of fruit maybe? Or granola bars, bags of nuts/seeds.

Doesn't have to be cooked just something you can shove in your handbag!

I'm not aware of any other shakes like slimfast, though I do love the vanilla and bananas ones and still have them occasionally as milkshakes lol :)

Good luck finding something
  • SavvyShannondeBarros
    Options
    Smoothies are a nice quick food/drink to have if you're in a hurry! :smile:
  • Figs318
    Figs318 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Hello, I am by no means an expert, but both my wife and I use GNC total Lean 25, not the regular GNC lean, but the GNC Lean 25. Has more protein in it, we currently use it as a meal replacement for breakfast. Not sure if this would help in the UK, but you might want to look into it. The serving size is a scoop of powder in about 8-12 oz of fluid. I use water some use milk...... Hope this helps a bit.. good luck to you!
  • FeebRyan
    Options
    Get up 10 minutes earlier and prepare yourself a salad or sandwich

You clearly don't have very young babies ;)

I already get up 10 minutes earlier to prepare myself a superfood smoothie for lunch

I find sandwiches a complete waste of time and give me terrible indigestion

Basically I will always keep a slim fast made up shake in the fridge to grab but I intend on keeping a couple of the bottles and washing them out so I can make a fresh one with better powder in future
  • FeebRyan
    Options
    homemade soup
    How on earth would I heat soup?
  • FeebRyan
    Options
    Hello, I am by no means an expert, but both my wife and I use GNC total Lean 25, not the regular GNC lean, but the GNC Lean 25. Has more protein in it, we currently use it as a meal replacement for breakfast. Not sure if this would help in the UK, but you might want to look into it. The serving size is a scoop of powder in about 8-12 oz of fluid. I use water some use milk...... Hope this helps a bit.. good luck to you!

Thanks I'll see if I can find it
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

I already get up 10 minutes earlier to prepare myself a superfood smoothie for lunch

Then I don't see what the problem is? Smoothie is fine.
  • FeebRyan
    Options

Then I don't see what the problem is? Smoothie is fine.

Sorry for breakfast!

I need something I can just grab for lunch :)

I make a brilliant breakfast and have a normal family meal at night

It's lunches that have been alluding me so I've decided to tackle it.

I can keep using slim fast I suppose or I can look for something better which is what I am here to do, not justify my life :)
  • FeebRyan
    Options
    So having done some research, for ease, convenience and in lack of much else, I'm going to make up slim fast with almond milk for lunches.

And have a couple of ready mades to grab and run if needed :)
  • bobf279
    bobf279 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    homemade soup
    How on earth would I heat soup?

put it in a flask
  • toffee2013
    toffee2013 Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    So having done some research, for ease, convenience and in lack of much else, I'm going to make up slim fast with almond milk for lunches.

And have a couple of ready mades to grab and run if needed :)

I brought some of holland and barrats whey protein ( vanilla n choc ) and some organic peanut butter ... it was lush ... having it with a banana today . x
  • FitMrsR
    FitMrsR Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    At one point I tried to find a affordable meal replacement shake with no luck. So I just went with protein powder as I'm usually low in protein. Maybe a good option for you would be to get some protein powder and just make a double batch of smoothie in the morning. That way it won't take any longer and you have breakfast and lunch sorted. It might get old having the same food for both breakfast and lunch but you could aways take a banana as well since those are easy to eat anywhere :)

Edited for crazy typos
  • LauraSheahan
    Options
    I have the Forever Living Lite Ultra with aminotein shakes for breakfast everyday, its an excellent meal replacement...1 scoop per serving but 2 scoops per day is 100% of your RDA. They taste great too
  • clareyoung80
    clareyoung80 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I have a 'Complan' (chocolate) shake for breakfast on days when I don't have the stomach to eat anything. I really like it, and I make it with Almond Milk (you can make it with any milk, or even water though it does taste a little less creamy with water). It has a nice taste and is nice and creamy. You can get that from Boots, and Waitrose also has it (I only say that because Waitrose is my closest supermarket! Other shops may sell it too)

I've also tried 'Build Up' which tastes the same as 'Complan', and has a little bit more protein in it. It also may be a little cheaper too.

They're both on the more 'meal replacement' side of things, for invalids who can't eat food, as opposed to the 'slim fast' weight loss side of things.
  • FeebRyan
    Options
    I have the Forever Living Lite Ultra with aminotein shakes for breakfast everyday, its an excellent meal replacement...1 scoop per serving but 2 scoops per day is 100% of your RDA. They taste great too

Interesting, my friend does Forever Living stuff...

I will see if i can order some from her for next month :)

have been looking at 'shakology' on ebay but its pretty expensive to get over here.
  • p0kers0ph
    p0kers0ph Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Diet Whey from The Protein Works :)
  • FeebRyan
    Options
    Diet Whey from The Protein Works :)

Well I definitely need something with protein in it because i am bored of being hungry all the time!