Success stories of people who walked off weight

Options
Just looking for some motivation and maybe some tips from people whose exercise mainly consisted of walking and were successful in their weight loss. :)

Replies

• crb426
    crb426 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    My main form of exercise is walking. I usually do 4-5 miles at a fast pace (4.3 mph), 3 times a week.

I've lost 35 pounds but I have also been strict about sticking to my daily calorie goal.
  • vandana900
    vandana900 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    crb426 wrote: »
    My main form of exercise is walking. I usually do 4-5 miles at a fast pace (4.3 mph), 3 times a week.

I've lost 35 pounds but I have also been strict about sticking to my daily calorie goal.

Thanks for responding. And congrats on your weight loss :smiley:
  • jarablue
    jarablue Posts: 127 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I've lost 76 pounds doing absolutely nothing but walking 4 to 5 times a week. Anywhere from 3 to 7 miles roughly 4 to 4.5mph. If I were to walk any faster, I would be in a slow jog. I also try to be as strict as I can allowing myself 1400 calories daily. Personally I think walking is underrated as hell. I love when people tell that walking isn't going to really do much. Total BS. I have been doing no other exercise and the fat is flying off.

296 Dec 10th 2016
    251.8 Feb 16th 2016

All thanks to walking and 1400 calories daily nothing else.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,137 Member
    Options
    Eat at a deficit. Find an exercise you enjoy. Be patient.

My "success" story if you want to look at it (many pictures) - http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10316526/for-the-lurkers-173-lost-pics-numbers/p1
  • kasaz
    kasaz Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure about losing, but my hiking helps tremendously in helping me maintain my weight. It's great to have some extra exercise calories to work with. I know if I didn't eat as many exercise calories back I would lose, but I'm fairly happy at 5'5" and 139. It's a weight I can maintain fairly easily and I need the energy for the longer hikes and backpacks that I do.
  • zgiarc
    zgiarc Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I've lost 27 pounds + so far since December 27. All that I have done is walk around 15,000 steps most days, stretch for 30 minutes daily and track my calories on MFP. I'm hoping to lose a total of around 110 pounds by the end of 2016. Next week I'm planning on starting to clean up my diet quite a bit as well. I've been eating fewer calories than normal, but still eating a lot of junky food.
  • 123losinforme
    123losinforme Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    jarablue wrote: »
    I've lost 76 pounds doing absolutely nothing but walking 4 to 5 times a week. Anywhere from 3 to 7 miles roughly 4 to 4.5mph. If I were to walk any faster, I would be in a slow jog. I also try to be as strict as I can allowing myself 1400 calories daily. Personally I think walking is underrated as hell. I love when people tell that walking isn't going to really do much. Total BS. I have been doing no other exercise and the fat is flying off.

296 Dec 10th 2016
    251.8 Feb 16th 2016

AMEN!!!!!!
  • 123losinforme
    123losinforme Posts: 73 Member
    Options
  • vandana900
    Options

296 Dec 10th 2016
    251.8 Feb 16th 2016

Wow. Congrats. That's amazing
  • vandana900
    Options
    kasaz wrote: »
    I'm not sure about losing, but my hiking helps tremendously in helping me maintain my weight. It's great to have some extra exercise calories to work with. I know if I didn't eat as many exercise calories back I would lose, but I'm fairly happy at 5'5" and 139. It's a weight I can maintain fairly easily and I need the energy for the longer hikes and backpacks that I do.

Thanks for responding. I hoping to get into hiking as well. There is a place called three pools where I live. I'm going hiking there Sunday :smile:
  • vandana900
    Options
    zgiarc wrote: »
    I've lost 27 pounds + so far since December 27. All that I have done is walk around 15,000 steps most days, stretch for 30 minutes daily and track my calories on MFP. I'm hoping to lose a total of around 110 pounds by the end of 2016. Next week I'm planning on starting to clean up my diet quite a bit as well. I've been eating fewer calories than normal, but still eating a lot of junky food.

That's great. All the best in your journey :smile:
  • wheninrome_92
    wheninrome_92 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    cydixcrmah3u.jpeg

Most of my cardio consisted of walking on an empty stomach for an hour right when I woke up. Road or the treadmill. Great time for meditation & prayer (I'm religious). You have to trust the process!! Good luck!
  • briannadunn
    briannadunn Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    cydixcrmah3u.jpeg

Most of my cardio consisted of walking on an empty stomach for an hour right when I woke up. Road or the treadmill. Great time for meditation & prayer (I'm religious). You have to trust the process!! Good luck!

Love it, I do the same thing. I walk 30 min a day listening to Jars of clay radio on pandora. I don't know how much I have lost because I am weighing myself at my doctors in 2 weeks.
  • ElizabethOakes2
    ElizabethOakes2 Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    Seventeen pounds so far, just a drop in the bucket compared compared to what some have done, but it's all calories in/calories out and walking. I had spine surgery a few years ago, and I have poor knees, so walking was all I could do. I started walking 20 minute a day, then 30. Now, I alternate pressing for distance with pressing for speed- 4 miles in under an hour today, and 6.5 miles (on the brutal hilly side of the lake) on Tuesday.
  • BoogeyBrat
    BoogeyBrat Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I went from 196 to 145 in about a year doing no exercise whatsoever other than walking. I'd walk between 45 minutes to an hour a day and consumed about 1400 calories each day. It's definitely possibly to see big changes with just walking and calorie counting.
  • unigirl143
    unigirl143 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I started to go to the local community center with a friend and lost 20 of my pounds that way. I contribute the rest of my loss to the small changes in my diet because I just could not find myself eating the trash after I was trying to walk it off.
  • Alysia82
    Alysia82 Posts: 67 Member
    Options

296 Dec 10th 2016
    251.8 Feb 16th 2016

Awesome
    cydixcrmah3u.jpeg

Inspiring
    BoogeyBrat wrote: »
    I went from 196 to 145 in about a year doing no exercise whatsoever other than walking. I'd walk between 45 minutes to an hour a day and consumed about 1400 calories each day. It's definitely possibly to see big changes with just walking and calorie counting.

Thank you for sharing

• EddWHorton
    EddWHorton Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    crb426 wrote: »

Sticking to it is hard but you are exactly right on.
  • EddWHorton
    EddWHorton Posts: 5 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I have lost up to 45 pounds since mid August 2015. But have gained some weight back, about ten pounds since the Holidays. Most of it seems to be water retention, I am 60 years old and have genes from my dad's sides who were big people. Proabaly just a cop out but I do want to lose another 40 to 50 pounds. I work out 5 days a week, 35 minutes of cardio and 45 minutes of strength training. I walk an average of 8000 steps per day. But I am stuck at the same weight for the last month and a half. Any suggestions?
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!