For those who weigh daily

Options
Considering how much the scale fluctuates, for those of you who weigh-in daily, which weight for the week do you pick as your "actual weight"?
For instance if someone asked you right now how much you weigh, would you give them your lowest weight for the week, or how much you weighed this morning? Or is there a certain day of the week you consider your "actual" weight?
Purely out of curiosity.
Since weighing daily for the last few months, I find it interesting to see the fluctuations and I can pretty much predict which days are going to be my low days and where my high days will be. As for my actual weight, is it "cheating" to state my weight as the lowest for the week, when some days are 4-5 pounds heavier? And don't get me wrong, I'm not worried about this, it's just something I'm pondering while having my morning cup of coffee.

Replies

• WhatLouAte
    WhatLouAte Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Stick to 1 Day a week where you actually log it and use that weight?
  • Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I log daily so that I can see the trends.
    I was asking for those who actually weigh daily and what they consider their weight.
  • erialcelyob
    erialcelyob Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I don't always weigh in daily but I have before, I pick Monday mornings as I don't exercise through the weekend. I find that I weigh about 3lbs more if I have been lifting in the gym the previous day - yet every Monday I'm at the usual weight. I don't think it matters hugely as even if you used a different scale it could show the same fluctuation even if you weighed at the same time.
  • elaineamj
    elaineamj Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I log daily and use trendweight. And while I know my lowest is not my "actual weight", that's the one I go with - makes me feel better lol!
  • trina1049
    trina1049 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    You can weight average by adding seven days (Monday - Sunday) of weigh-ins and dividing the total by 7 to get a weekly average. I weigh in every day and log it on WeightGrapher to watch the trend (hopefully it's downward) then add the weekly average to MFP.
  • mifii10
    mifii10 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself everyday but only log my weight on mondays... and i consider my "actual" weight to be what i weighed last monday.
    If i considered every day's individual weight to be my "actual" weight, i would go crazy! LOL
    Logging my weight, both on MFP and in my mind every week works perfectly for me and i think it should work for others too. :smile:
  • haviegirl
    haviegirl Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I weigh three or four times daily, just because I like data and don't freak out about fluctuations. I keep the lowest reading each day.
  • soulofgrace
    soulofgrace Posts: 175 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    No one asks me and I don't tell. I log my average when it becomes my trending high. That might not make sense to anyone else. Maybe I'm doing it this way so I don't get attached to any number and fluctuations bother me less. I haven't really thought about it that much.
  • chandanista
    chandanista Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    No one asks :) Well, except Dietbet. And my weight that day is literally whatever the photo of the scale says.
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    I weigh on most days but only log the losses since I already know my weight fluctuates depending on how much sodium I've had yesterday or if I'm PMSing.
  • caaaath
    caaaath Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I used to weigh daily, now maybe twice a week. When I weighed daily I logged my Monday morning weight and would use that as the weight I considered myself to be, until the next Monday morning. The daily weighing was just out of interest and because I'm impatient.
  • courtney_love2001
    courtney_love2001 Posts: 1,468 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily and I don't log it as a "loss" unless I see the same weight two days in a row, that way I know it's probably correct.
  • amyjane_g
    amyjane_g Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself when I wake up each morning. Why. It's habit. I can easily put on 2lbs by just breathing at times.. :-)

Though I did find this to be an interesting read: http://thefitnessfocus.com/health-nutrition/normal-body-weight-fluctuations-explained

• 5stringjeff
    5stringjeff Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    I usually round my weight to the nearest 5 pounds when I'm asked in conversation.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Since I weigh daily I give my weight from this morning. I'm still fairly new at this. A recent episode of consecutive high sodium days and subsequent low sodium days showed me how these fluctuations happen. I don't understand what you mean by "log it". I weigh. I check-in. MFP reports the chart.
  • lisaisso
    lisaisso Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    No one asks but wouldn't tell if they did. I weigh every day, and log my losses, ignore the increase fluctuations :p
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Until I started using Trendweight, I only logged my Wednesday weight on here and that's the one I went with
  • Euclidus
    Euclidus Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    This isn't information that I really share with anyone willingly! In my head I always stick with the lowest weight, though. My weight fluctuates a lot -- upwards of 5 pounds when I'm PMSing and 2-3 pounds when I've gone carb heavy, had alcohol, or too much sodium. It really helps me keep my motivation going when I tell myself that those are imaginary pounds :) For instance, I overindulged during the weekend and my weight went up by 2.9 pounds. It was already back down this morning and all I did was get back on track with diet and hydration for 3 days. Mentally adhering to the lowest weight I see on the scale prevents me from falling into the "well it's all pointless, I'm a special snowflake, nothing ever works for me" mentality and letting a one-day slip up turn into a month long downward spiral.
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    I weigh every morning, but I only record my weight on Tuesdays. Why Tuesday? Because, over time, I've found that's usually my lightest day.
  • ClarkWierda
    ClarkWierda Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I use my trend weight (geometrically weighted moving average). I don't worry about the actual measurements.

I weight morning and evening. I really only use the morning weight. The evening is mostly just for curiosity.