40s and Falling Apart

Options
2»

Replies

• 44to44
    44to44 Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    43 here, and yup, definitely going downhill fast! I'm at my highest weight ever and there are days when everything seems to hurt. I'm hypothyroid, so I lose weight slowly, but I really need to just focus on healthier habits and hopefully the weight will come off with time. This is day 2 for me, and it's been somewhat of a disaster so far (lack of planning, I guess) but just putting everything down in my food journal is giving me quite an awakening and making me realize just how much of a change I need. My next birthday is 6 months away and I have every intention to make some visible progress by then, to hopefully reach my goal weight by my 45th.
  • jackie_van_d
    jackie_van_d Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    45 is around the corner, knee replacement is still 4-5 yrs away
    Asleep on the couch by 9pm,
    Been a mfp for 109 days and still struggling
    I do my best to not eat starches, or wheat, I enjoy a rum and Coke or a cooler 2-3 times a week.

Welcome! Your not alone in this journey

Feel free to add me
  • gweccles70
    gweccles70 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I am in the same boat 45, I am looking to make extreme changes. Feel free to add me.
  • tboz08202016
    tboz08202016 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I'm not falling apart but I do meet the age requirements. Let's do this!
  • abrams1971
    abrams1971 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    im with you, 40's are killing me...no joke, just trying to get back on track myself...
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    I'm 47 & started on MFP a year & a half ago. I was so unhappy and felt so bad all the time due to stomach & joint issues. I wasn't thrilled when I started- I was already unhappy & figured now my food was being taken away too! But I set a reasonable weekly goal (1.5 lbs/week and I was at 240) and stuck to my calorie allowance. 10 lbs later, the reflux was gone. 20 lbs later, my mobility was vastly improved. My blood work a few months ago was fantastic and I went from one of the higher cardiac risk categories to one of the lowest. I'm in a Leslie Sansone walking group on here and I'm sure I'm more fit than many people half my size. It can absolutely be done! Set reasonable goals, have reasonable expectations, and don't give up when you have a bad day! :)
  • JosetteGetsFit
    JosetteGetsFit Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I'm right here with ya struggling with health at 45! Feel free to add me!
  • __Margaret
    __Margaret Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I'm 41 and struggling also. Feel free to add me!
  • mummydd
    mummydd Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi. Im 43 ... in a similar place as well.
    I joined a week ago.
    I havent started exercising yet ... tore ankle ligaments in January and still find walking painful.
    the food diary is a start though.

looking for motivation and stickability ...
  • DM01234
    DM01234 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Yes, my late 40s is when I came to the crossroads. Heaviest, so out of shape and rocketing blood pressure issues.

Turned it all around and so can you... if you want it bad enough...

About to turn 50 and in better shape than when I turned 30 or 40.. Weigh as much as when I did when I turned 20. No more meds, no more blood pressure issues.

You have to want it. You have to let go of the excuses. You are responsible for your own motivation and commitment.

Own it.. Don't be afraid to explore and learn along the way. You will discover a whole new you if you allow it. Many people point to reasons why they can't. Those same people seldom allow themselves to find reasons why they can.
  • jackie_van_d
    jackie_van_d Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I have a best thing for "tropical moments"

Find some one with motorcycle, and ask them to take you for a ride around a lake!
  • SweetP27
    SweetP27 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I'll be 50 this month and am finally serious about getting my health/life back. I know that it is possible....some days more than others. I try to remember something I read on MFP - Discipline and not Desire determine your Destiny.