Smoothies for weight loss

Options
2»

Replies

• stacyb35
    stacyb35 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the input I never thought of oats and all that stuff. Sounds interesting I may have to try it.
  • vegangela_
    vegangela_ Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    My go to lunch smoothie is cucumber, spinach, tomato, celery, coriander, and lemon juice.
  • mcbhele
    mcbhele Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    stacyb35 wrote: »
    I would be putting in anywhere from 350 to 450 cal.

Honestly, if you are going to be consuming that many cals in a smoothie, why not just eat a regular meal? I could have a bowl of oatmeal with peanut butter and blueberries and a cup of coffee with cream for 350 cals. Weight loss is about eating less calories than you burn. There is nothing special about a green smoothie that will make you lose weight.

If you are trying to get more veggies in your diet this way, maybe have a smoothie for only breakfast? I do that sometimes, especially in the winter when there's not much good produce in the supermarket. But as others have said, drinking a smoothie doesn't make me feel full like food is. I can get away with it for breakfast when I'm not all that hungry in the morning. But I think there is an amount of "psychological" satiety from chewing food.

ETA: Pre-prepping my lunches to bring to work for the week on Sunday night has been a lifesaver for me. Mason jar salads, cold grain salads, stuff like that. I grab it out of the fridge on my way out the door and don't even have to reheat it.

Sometimes a smoothie is all i can have for lunch in a day because i work a 5hr shift from 11-4 and its too early for lunch at 1030 and its too late for lunch at 4.30
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options
    For "weightloss", liquid diets have the highest weight regain. Why? You didn't learn how to eat correctly. If you plan to do it the rest of your life, okay. If not, then weight loss should be accepted as temporary.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    I will supplement with a protein powder smoothie nearly daily. For me, it's a great way to have an on the go breakfast that will keep me feeling full for a few hours until my next meal, plus it helps me meet my protein, iron, and fibre goals for the day. Mine are usually 250-350 cals, depending on what I put into it. Okay, it's mainly because I'm too lazy to get up early enough to cook a proper breakfast when I'm on morning shift. But it does work for me. I couldn't imagine doing this for more than one meal per day though, I like eating food. On my days off, I dont' usually do it, unless I'm short on some of the macros I typically fill with it. Also, I don't ascribe any magical weight loss powers to it. I do it mainly because I am not a morning person, so I much prefer an extra 15 minutes sleep over getting up to cook.
  • psykesjr
    psykesjr Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    My go to breakfast smoothie that I drink daily is:
    - 1 cup frozen mixed berries
    - 1 scoop choc. Whey protein powder
    - 1/3 cup of high quality steel oats
    - Water

Perfection