Help--Eating when traveling to relatives

Options
Hi Everyone,

I absolutely had no idea how to report my calories this weekend when I visited my sister this weekend. I was probably over my goal but had no way of knowing either way. Thoughts and tips for dealing with this situation?

Replies

• herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options
    Do the best you can to estimate. If it's family made dishes I usually look up the dish type online and try to pick something that at least resembles the dish I've eaten and use it. I know they vary a lot. My Mother's Cheesy Hashbrown Casserole has a can of cream of soup, a can of cheese soup, a cup of cheddar, a small container of sour cream, a stick of butter, and Frenchs french fried onions. Mine has 1 can of low fat cream of, 1 small light sour cream, 1/2 cup of sharp or extra sharp cheese, and about 1/4 of the onions on top. Calories still aren't the greatest, but I've made it slightly more doable for me.

Option 2: Next time, ask your family for their recipes. You'll know what went into the food and if it's something you really like you can find substitutions to make it slightly healthier.
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    If you have no idea what the food is, ask. Cooks tend to be happy to blabber on about how they make things.
  • sympha01
    sympha01 Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    If you have no idea what the food is, ask. Cooks tend to be happy to blabber on about how they make things.

Yup, this. I have a relative I visit frequently and I'm always asking her for her recipes just so I know what I'm really eating, and it tickles her pink to be asked.

If you ate out with your sister a lot, the horse is already out the barn door but in future ask the server respectfully if they can provide you with some basic nutritional info: many sit-down restaurants are pretty used to people asking so they can sketch out an idea. Obviously if it is a fast-food or takeaway place you can just ask the clerk if they publish the nutritional info somewhere (chains typically do, mom and pops less so).

If, on the other hand, this question is coming partially from a place where you just don't know what brand of english muffin you had for breakfast because you didn't buy it yourself, I'd say make your best guess substitution and wing it. The difference over a weekend isn't worth worrying about.
  • tmpayne1
    tmpayne1 Posts: 4
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the tips... This time the shoe will be on the other foot. Sis is visiting me tomorrow. :)
  • cappri
    cappri Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options
    Take pictures of your food so you can look it up later if you don't want to take the time right then.