Figuring out how much a serving size is?

When using the recipe builder on MFP, how do you determine how much a serving size is? I found a really delicious recipe that I imported that I want to make. I know when I go to track it, I can put in how many servings I am eating, but if the recipe doesn't say how much is in a serving, how do you know? I know if it is only 2 servings, I could just take half of it, but I usually double my recipes. It would be a huge hassle to have to divide it into 4, then weigh each portion. Is there something I am missing, or is this pretty much what I would have to do? I feel like there might be a really simple solution and I am just having a major brain fart, lol.

Thanks!

Replies

• MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    I weigh mine in ounces. So I'll weigh and add the ingredients as I make it to get a calorie count for the meal, but after it's done and ready to serve, I weigh the entire dish in ounces and each serving is one ounce. So for instance, last night I made chicken corn chowder and after I subtracted the weight of the pot I cooked it in, I had 132 ounces of chowder. Some people use grams, but I prefer ounces for large dishes.
  • Morglez
    Morglez Posts: 46 Member
    edited February 2016
    MommyL2015 wrote: »
    I weigh mine in ounces. So I'll weigh and add the ingredients as I make it to get a calorie count for the meal, but after it's done and ready to serve, I weigh the entire dish in ounces and each serving is one ounce. So for instance, last night I made chicken corn chowder and after I subtracted the weight of the pot I cooked it in, I had 132 ounces of chowder. Some people use grams, but I prefer ounces for large dishes.

So, after you had the total ounces, you just divided that by however many servings the recipe serves?
  • ktekc
    ktekc Posts: 879 Member
    edited March 2016
    I believe she put it as 132 servings in the recipe and logged however many she ate. That's what I do.