Losing weight while strength training

Options
Hi folks,

Looking for some advice on my exercise routine. I'm currently trying to lose about 30lbs and get back in shape. I'm 155lbs right now and a few years ago (before having a baby!) I had a similar goal, lost around 30lbs and put on some muscle. I was really happy with how I looked and felt then, so I know what my goal weight is even with the addition of some muscle.

My problem is, last time I did this I started with a lot of cardio and a decent caloric deficit. I lost weight quite fast. It slowed down over time, but by the time I got interested in strength training and started the New Rules of Lifting for Women program, I'd already lost most of the fat I wanted to. I loved the program and pretty much fell out of love with cardio after starting it!

So this time, I started right off the bat in December with New Rules. In January, I also overhauled my eating and cut out almost all packaged/processed foods and now lean towards a paleo-ish diet (though I still eat some dairy...I cannot live without cheese). I really am eating well - lots of meat, healthy fat, nuts, veggies, fruit. I loosen up on the weekends, but I mean my "treats" are having one slice of bread with a poached egg, nothing like scarfing a bag of chips. In short, my diet has been quite good, but the problem is...

I've only lost 3.5lbs since December 14. I know that with strength training, weight loss is going to be slower. I'm gaining muscle. I can tell my body looks stronger and tighter. But my measurements haven't moved much either, and I'm feeling discouraged. I find it extremely hard to maintain a caloric deficit while strength training. I am doing a small one, but I almost always end up going over my calorie goal for the day on MFP because I'm starving. I'm eating good food, but probably too much of it to see a lot of weight loss.

Should I add in some cardio to burn more calories? I really don't want to, but I want to make progress more quickly. I'm ok with the slow and steady approach, but it feels TOO slow. I really wanted to see some serious change by summer time.

Anyone else in a similar situation? Am I going to have to start running again to get the results I want? :(

Replies

• Shanel0916
    Shanel0916 Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    I would add 20 min of HIIT 3-4 times a week.
  • mindystrauss
    mindystrauss Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I would recommend adding 1-2 sessions of HIIT (high intensity interval training) each week. You can get it over with in only 20 minutes. This blog post was really helpful for me: http://www.jerseygirltalk.com/2013/10/26/weightlifting-strength-training-routine-workout-women/#.VS3Gjk29KnO
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    Agreed about doing some cardio, even if it's just an hour during the entire week, broken down however you'd like. Also, are you logging, weighing, and measuring everything accurately? You could be consuming more calories than you think.
  • pzarnosky
    pzarnosky Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I know your pain... This is why bulking/cutting cycles are good. I tried doing it all too and had pretty similar results as you, that is, not many. So I changed it up... I gave up on weightloss for awhile and focused on strength training. When I was ready, I cut most of my lifting routine out and focused on my calorie deficit. Everyone says "ohhh but you'll lose all of the muscle you worked for." ugh, no you won't. Yes, they'll get smaller and you'll lose some, but not ALL. Being in a calorie deficit is taxing on your body. I work and I'm in school. I don't have time to be that run down from not eating enough AND stressing the hell out of my body with lifting. So once I get to my goal weight and can start eating at maintenance then I will start adding more lifting back in.

I do run though, but that's different since I can eat those calories back. And I love running so I won't give that up :) Really though, you sound like you have the same frustrations I did a year ago.
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    I started doing most weight training two days a week and cut back on cardio severely and while I look better, I haven't lost any weight. I am adding cardio back in, but not cutting out the strenght training as it has it's merits
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    I've actually not been in that situation. I always lost while lifting and did little to zero cardio. We aren't really gaining muscle in a deficit, so the general trend on the scale should be downward. You are most likely eating very close to maintenance.
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    I've actually not been in that situation. I always lost while lifting and did little to zero cardio. We aren't really gaining muscle in a deficit, so the general trend on the scale should be downward. You are most likely eating very close to maintenance.

This was my experience as well.
  • arditarose
    Options
    My loss is slower when I only do strength training. It's not that I'm building muscle, but I get hungry and have a harder time managing my deficit. Adding cardio gives me more cushion and also suppresses my appetite a little.

This can definitely be a thing. I think it's worth the slow loss anyway though. Great physique results.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,180 Member
    Options
    What you eat, within reason as long as you are meeting your protein and fat macros, is far less important than how much you eat. A goal of not more than 1 pound a week or less would be good, or use http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/ and figure out your TDEE including exercise and take a 10-15% deficit off of that.
  • arditarose
    Options
    What you eat, within reason as long as you are meeting your protein and fat macros, is far less important than how much you eat. A goal of not more than 1 pound a week or less would be good, or use http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/ and figure out your TDEE including exercise and take a 10-15% deficit off of that.

Also this. Obviously if you want to go the "paleo" route or whatever, do what is best for you. But if what is best for you is a bit more...flexible, you can still lose weight having an oreo and some ice cream here or there. Especially if you're using a food scale and logging accurately.
  • bruhaha007
    bruhaha007 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I cleanse(fast) one to two consecutive days per week when I am shredding but still adding/maintaining muscle to my frame. There are tricks to keep your metabolism in check those days so you don't go into starvation mode but it is works very well for me.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    Starvation mode is a myth BTW. I lost steadily when I was anorexic eating 500 calories a day and doing cardio.
  • Devonanne
    Devonanne Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies. Yes I'm logging accurately, weighing etc. I'm an old hand at logging. The New Rules workouts do include HIIT 1-2x week but I'm thinking I should add in some more. I also agree I'm probably eating close to maintainence because it's freaking difficult to eat at a deficit with these hard workouts! I strength train 3x week and even on the days that don't include HIIT I usually jump on the elliptical for a bit after.
  • BodayJohnnay
    BodayJohnnay Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Feel free to message me. Can give more detail information to help you progress toward YOUR goal and not what works for someone else. Yes adding HIIT will help but it's not the culprit. Something has to be changed whether it's the way you're training or your eating habits...and that's what they are, "habits." We need to break a habit that is causing you to plateau.

Please message me...what are your goals? Are you currently employed? (If so what kind of job is it?)
    Age, ht, wt, activity level etc. Would love to help any way I can.
    I work with many clients with similar goals as you...just have to program out what works for you.
    -John-
  • VanillaGorillaUK
    VanillaGorillaUK Posts: 342 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    You've only lost 3.5lbs since December 14 because your body wasn't in large enough deficit. If your stronger than before, you may have added some muscle mass, so it's possible you've lost more than you think.

Unfortunately you need to create a deficit to see results, either cardio or reduced calories. How many calories do you eat per day?
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options
    Devonanne wrote: »
    I'm gaining muscle. I can tell my body looks stronger and tighter.

Sorry you are not gaining muscle. Women body builders who are eating at a bulk and getting crazy amounts of protein are LUCKY to put on .5 lbs a month of muscle. You're likely not training hard enough, eating hard enough, or getting enough protein. You can get stronger without putting on muscle mass. Also when you start lifting your muscles will swell up with water and become more visible.

That's likely what's happening here, when you start a new exercise your muscles retain water to repair themselves. It's possible you've lost an additional 2-3 lbs but because you are progressively increasing your lifts your muscles are hanging on to water.

That said, it's also highly likely you are eating more than you think. A piece of bread and a poached egg isn't really any 'better' for you than chips when it comes to weight loss. Make sure you are tightening your logging. Weigh every solid you eat, don't use measuring cups for anything that isn't a liquid. Weigh butter, weigh peanut butter. Make sure you are selecting good food choices in the MFP library. Someone else's homemade tuna salad is not the same as yours.

Could you add cardio? Sure. I find cardio can compensate for the fudge factor of bad logging. But you don't have to add cardio.
  • Devonanne
    Options
    I'm gaining muscle. I can tell my body looks stronger and tighter.

Sorry you are not gaining muscle. Women body builders who are eating at a bulk and getting crazy amounts of protein are LUCKY to put on .5 lbs a month of muscle. You're likely not training hard enough, eating hard enough, or getting enough protein. You can get stronger without putting on muscle mass. Also when you start lifting your muscles will swell up with water and become more visible.

That's likely what's happening here, when you start a new exercise your muscles retain water to repair themselves. It's possible you've lost an additional 2-3 lbs but because you are progressively increasing your lifts your muscles are hanging on to water.

That said, it's also highly likely you are eating more than you think. A piece of bread and a poached egg isn't really any 'better' for you than chips when it comes to weight loss. Make sure you are tightening your logging. Weigh every solid you eat, don't use measuring cups for anything that isn't a liquid. Weigh butter, weigh peanut butter. Make sure you are selecting good food choices in the MFP library. Someone else's homemade tuna salad is not the same as yours.

Could you add cardio? Sure. I find cardio can compensated for the fudge factor of bad logging. But you don't have to add cardio.

I already stated that I'm very careful with logging, and weigh my food. I only used the bread and egg example to illustrate that that is my weekend "treat" as opposed to just having the egg on it's own. I'm trying to eat well not just for weight loss but for my whole body's health.
  • Devonanne
    Options
    You've only lost 3.5lbs since December 14 because your body wasn't in large enough deficit. If your stronger than before, you may have added some muscle mass, so it's possible you've lost more than you think.

Unfortunately you need to create a deficit to see results, either cardio or reduced calories. How many calories do you eat per day?

I average around 1800-1900 per day. Sometimes less sometimes a little more. I just can't seem to get under that without being really hungry. So I'm not surprised I'm not losing faster! I'm just wondering if adding in cardio is the answer to burn more calories. I was hoping to hear of other people's experiences - I do realize that I need a deficit to lose fat.

• Devonanne
    Options
    Also, my Fitbit (Charge HR) says I burn between 1900-2200 calories per day. So yeah, not much of a deficit going on. I'm thinking a few running sessions per week might help.
  • VanillaGorillaUK
    VanillaGorillaUK Posts: 342 Member
    Options

I average around 1800-1900 per day. Sometimes less sometimes a little more. I just can't seem to get under that without being really hungry. So I'm not surprised I'm not losing faster! I'm just wondering if adding in cardio is the answer to burn more calories. I was hoping to hear of other people's experiences - I do realize that I need a deficit to lose fat.

Everyday on my home stream I see dairies between 1200-1600 calories for most women.

If I was you I would add 3 sessions of cardio per week each burning 300 calories and I would drop calories to 1600. Based on what you said, this should result in a 1lb per week loss.