Back and arms

Options
Anyone got any good exercises that work back and arms! I'm female so I'm not looking to bulk up but more lose fat!

Replies

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    When you eat at a calorie deficit you lose weight. Unfortunately you can't "encourage" fat loss from specific areas. This is largely genetic and already predetermined. I lose weight on top first, and below the waist last. This is unfortunate for me because I have a pear shape.

Exercise for health and fitness. Strengthen your arms by lifting heavy things. Women won't "bulk." Lots of definition takes a serious long term effort.

Keep losing and do the best you can.
  • tillerstouch
    tillerstouch Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    A structured lifting program that works your whole body. Don't worry you won't get bulky! And working your whole body will put you much better off then just working your back and arms.

I'd start by looking at bodybuidling.com on their website they have a lot of different programs. You can also tell them your weight, height, and goals and they will suggest some programs.

If you're trying to lose weight I assume you're in a calorie deficit. Serious strength and esp. mass building takes a calorie surplus. So while you're in a deficit you don't have to worry about gaining enough muscle to look bulky.

You may gain some muscle which some refer to as "newbie gains" because you're new to lifting but again nothing major and certainly not bulky looking.

Really though in a calorie deficit your goal should be muscle retention. Lift heavy (for you) in an established program and preserve your muscle, then as you lose fat from the calorie deficit you'll get that "toned" look you're probably going for.

My girlfriend does the same 5 day heavy lifting routine with me and eats around maintaince and is no way getting bulky, she's increasing strength and that's about it.

To really get bulky you'd need am intense lifting program, a calorie surplus and live at the gym lol.

But if you just want an answer to your question... back: deadlifts, pull ups, row (barbbell, cable, single arm)
    Arms: bicep curls, preacher curls, tricep extensions, dips, push ups, pull ups again, close grip bench (focuses more on triceps over chest)