What to order at the movies?!?

Options
So I'm going to the movies tonight with my friends, (which I have been cancelling on them for some time because I was afraid I would indulge in way too much junk food). The movie starts later tonight around 8:30 and was wondering what I should order fo eat at the movies? Should I just eat before I go so I don't order anything there? Skip dinner so I could have popcorn and a soda? Any help would be great!

Replies

• MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    Options
    Do you go out to the movies a lot? If so, maybe stick to a small popcorn and a diet soda. If you do not go much, and it's going to be a fun night out for you, go for it and just enjoy yourself, and maybe walk a little more tomorrow. And don't add too much extra butter. ;)
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    It depends. Your MFP food database has calories and sodium for even movie fare. I planned my Saturday with the intention of seeing a moving and having something there.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    Popcorn is my favorite thing to order at the movies. I don't go to the movies often, so I know that one night and a small popcorn with a diet soda will not hinder my progress. Nor would some Raisinettes or even some nachos. Get what you want, and enjoy it. Log it. Move on.
  • rhtexasgal
    rhtexasgal Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    If you don't go to the movies often, then I would eat a big salad beforehand to give you some satiety and save calories for that yummy movie popcorn. Why do you need a soda? Unless it is diet, drink water or something with less calories, unless that soda is a special treat that you do not indulge in at any other time.
  • JLG1986
    JLG1986 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I've never been a huge fan of eating at the movies...maybe you can find enjoyment in the film and your friends and skip the snacks :smile: totally not saying that it's right or wrong to indulge, but it sounds like this has been worrying you, so thought I'd throw that option out there. For movie treats, salted popcorn (no butter/margarine) is really low cal if they have it. Or just splurge and get a buttery unhealthy popcorn in a small serving - when it's gone it's gone :p
  • jaga13
    jaga13 Posts: 1,149 Member
    Options
    Look up different options in the mfp database to see how many calories they will cost you. Then you can decide which, if any, will be worth it. You can save some calories for that snack, or you may decide to eat all your calories during the day before the movie and don't eat at the movies (my preference). It's really a budgeting issue.
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    I seldom go to the movies, but when I do, I allow for popcorn, even if I eat nothing else all day.
    The last movie I went to was Mockingjay Part2 last November.
    I have plans to go to see The Choice on Saturday..................popcorn, here I come.
    To me, there is no sense in going to the movies if you can't have popcorn.
  • annette_15
    annette_15 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    I bring a lenny & larry cookie or a protein bar or two so that I can still eat something yummy and track accurately. And I'll buy a diet soda there
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    This is a great thread!! Maybe bring your own snacks? That's what I always do.
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Yep! - just eat before I go so I don't order anything there
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    I'm cheap, so I bring my own snacks and a can of diet pop or bottled water, lol.
  • thereshegoesagain
    thereshegoesagain Posts: 1,056 Member
    Options
    I bring my own snacks, a handful of almonds, air popped popcorn, dried fruits, veggies, etc. I always purchase water there because most theaters rely on food & drink sales to profit. I have repeatedly asked our local theater to provide healthy options but they say it doesn't sell.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    I went to the movies this afternoon and got a bottle of water and a box of SnoCaps. To me, chocolate beats movie theater popcorn any day of the week.
  • mjwarbeck
    mjwarbeck Posts: 699 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    When I go to the movies my snack spins a regular popcorn with butter layered in the middle and top. I don't do this often, so not a big deal to endulge.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    I don't like getting movie popcorn really because I make mine at home and can eat so much more/fit it into my day better. I usually get a big old diet soda, and maybe some pork rinds to crunch on and help meet my protein and fat macros
  • piggysmalls333
    piggysmalls333 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    Nothing - eat dinner before and smuggle in some of your own healthy snacks and a bottled water in your purse!
  • chimaerandi
    chimaerandi Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I go at least once a month with my wife, and I usually eat a small unbuttered popcorn as my lunch, which for me is totally doable. It's like ~530 calories, and I bank for the weekends anyhow, and then I just get a small diet soda.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I go at least once a month with my wife, and I usually eat a small unbuttered popcorn as my lunch, which for me is totally doable. It's like ~530 calories, and I bank for the weekends anyhow, and then I just get a small diet soda.

Yup, this is what I do - the popcorn is my meal.
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    Why do you need to eat at the movies, specially if it is after dinner? A bottle of water and some gum should keep you busy. Or take a protein bar in your purse.
  • jbee27
    jbee27 Posts: 356 Member
    Options

Yup, this is what I do - the popcorn is my meal.

Same. I love popcorn. Movie theater popcorn is the best. I would be sad to give it up entirely.

OP, don't let trying to lose weight hinder your social enjoyment! Canceling plans with friends because of your fear of indulging in junk food sounds like a very lonely and sad way to live. A big part of success for me was figuring out how to make my food choices fit my life. Indulging once in awhile isn't a horrible thing, and neither is passing on junk food when others are partaking (it's hard, but it gets easier!).