Broken foot - exercise help please!

Options
So I've been diagnosed with a stress fracture of my third metatarsal. I've got an aircast not a full cast. My doctor has advised me that I can exercise but to stop soon as it hurts.

He's suggested swimming, cycling provided I don't wear cleats and push down with my heels and upper body.

I'm a bit scared of various equipment at my gym so any advice would be greatly appreciated - particularly upper body.

Thanks!

Replies

• peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    #cripplefeetunite I had reconstructive surgery on my foot (including breaking and re-shaping of the bones, shortening of the tendons, placement of a plate/screws/implant, removal of bunions on both sides of the metatarsals and removal of a bone) three years ago. During this time, I was very disheartened because I felt like I would never reach the progress level that I was at. Luckily, I got this surgery during the summer and was able to swim (after a few weeks once the bones were healed). I strongly suggest swimming, stretching and upper body work outs. DO NOT GO BACK TO EXERCISING BEFORE YOU ARE CLEARED. And when you do...work up slowly. Please. I had my original surgery three years ago, have struggled every day since and will have to get additional surgeries to repair all of the nerve/bone damage that has been done over time. Stretch, do PT if possible, and take it easy. Listen to your body.
  • Arianera
    Arianera Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Does your gym have an arm-cycle? Otherwise can you find a physical therapist who can let you exercise under supervision, or just come in and use their equipment?
  • KiyaK
    KiyaK Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    Go check out the arm weight machines at your gym. Ask the front desk if a personal trainer or someone can show you around them. Or grab some dumbells/barvekks & beginner lifting workouts off bodybuilding.com. (all free) Just do the upper body days & cobble together your own plan. Don't be afraid! Try stuff out & listen to your body.
  • KiyaK
    KiyaK Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    Dumbells/barbells*
  • tigshh
    tigshh Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thanks all!

Can I check - when doing upper body do you still wear your aircast to the gym? I've been told to keep mine on pretty much all the time except sleeping so I'm guessing I should wear it to the gym.
  • chunky_pinup
    chunky_pinup Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    tigshh wrote: »
    He's suggested swimming, cycling provided I don't wear cleats and push down with my heels and upper body.

Why wouldn't you just do what your doctor suggested? I'm sure they are much more well-versed in your injury and how to work around it than any of us...
  • tigshh
    tigshh Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    tigshh wrote: »

Why wouldn't you just do what your doctor suggested? I'm sure they are much more well-versed in your injury and how to work around it than any of us...

He wasn't very clear and I wanted examples of types of upper body exercises. Whilst I appreciate no break is the same, it's useful to have other people's experiences. There's no need to make that comment.
  • Janice_R
    Janice_R Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi! Just found out I have a stress fracture in my foot, also the 3rd metatarsal. I've had it for 3 weeks but have just been coping with the pain and was still doing bodypump and pilates