Make ahead meals

Options
i work the 2-10 shift but I'm looking to make meals that would last for 4 days! Thank you :)

Replies

• besaro
    besaro Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    i make almost all my foods in "bulk" soups, casseroles, you can make salads even just dont add dressing.
  • Aleeshawilliams22
    Aleeshawilliams22 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    besaro wrote: »
    i make almost all my foods in "bulk" soups, casseroles, you can make salads even just dont add dressing.

What kind of soups do you make?

• Dandelie
    Dandelie Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Chili is a great thing to make in advance and freeze. I also make broccoli soup with VERY small amounts of cheese. All my broths and beans are homemade. No salt.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    I freeze almost everything. Soups, stews, chilies, curries, meatballs, burgers, breakfast sandwiches, burritos, taquitos, egg rolls, sauces, nuggets, etc.
  • Aleeshawilliams22
    Aleeshawilliams22 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I'm looking for something to eat for dinner
  • Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    Options
    I make my lunch meals ahead of time and freeze them (except for 1 or 2), I pull them out and reheat them in the microwave. Chicken thighs, hamburger, etc. Chili is great to freeze and reheat, or just eat all week. When I had a trainer she said she'd make a big helping of hamburger and portion it out each night and add things to it, like spaghetti sauce (for a bolognaise), or stir fry veggies, etc. Anything you really want to eat, just increase the amount you make, freeze what you're afraid might go bad, and take it out the night before to defrost in the fridge and nuke when ready.
  • BarbieAS
    BarbieAS Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    You can prep and pre-portion salad ingredients for an entire week quite easily.

I find that pasta dishes (vegetable-heavy penne/lasagna dishes, broccoli and chicken breast, etc) keep quite well, though some people are turned off by the texture of re-heated pasta. (Or you could eat it cold like a pasta salad!)

Hearty soups/stews are good for dinner. I make an excellent stew with white beans, swiss chard, and chicken thighs that keeps exceptionally well. Chili is also good, or you could do a lightened potato/broccoli/cheese soup. I find that noodles in soups don't keep as well as you'd like.
  • johndoe60610
    johndoe60610 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    There's a great subreddit for this:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/mealprepsunday

I'm just starting out myself. Pressure cooker is my new favorite toy.
  • DaphneSW
    DaphneSW Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    There's a great subreddit for this:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/mealprepsunday

I'm just starting out myself. Pressure cooker is my new favorite toy.

Thanks for the link! :)
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Today I'm making a week's worth of burritos: flatout wrap, beef that I cooked in a slow cooker then pulled, cheese, refried beans, cilantro and salsa. Wrap em up, and take em. I may have that for either breakfast, or lunch, each day this week. Super easy.
  • gin_7
    gin_7 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    http://pin.it/0dOiejG

I looooo this recipe!!!!
  • 6pkdreamer
    6pkdreamer Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Have cooked brown rice in the fridge ready to go. On the day I just add a few finely chopped veggies like carrot, celery, asian greens like buk cho or whatever. Add say teaspoon of soy sauce and a squeeze of lemon. Microwave for a 1 minute. Add a poached egg or a small piece of cooked salmon or thinely sliced meat. Taste fantastic for the amount of effort
  • 6pkdreamer
    6pkdreamer Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    ... just be careful with the rice- do not reheat again and put back in the fridge as this can be dangerous. keep in a sealed container and below 4 degrees celsius.