ISO: Cream of Cauliflower recipe

RejsGirl
RejsGirl Posts: 203 Member
Does anyone have a tried and true cream of cauliflower recipe they'd be willing to share? Any other recipes that feature cauliflower that you enjoy? (Grocery store had a sale, so I bought 2 heads, LOL)

TIA

Replies

• chrissyandjoe
    chrissyandjoe Posts: 2 Member
    I usually steam and just add a little cheddar and milk and smash with emulsion blender.
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    I "rice" mine through a food processor raw with a couple of cloves of garlic, and then bake it with a little water. 45 minutes in a medium oven.
  • shahd2016
    shahd2016 Posts: 1 Member
    I've made pizza crust it was SO good
  • kkopejtk
    kkopejtk Posts: 1 Member
    Steam a whole cauliflower until cooked through. Sauté whole sliced leek in a pan with garlic & light spray of olive oil.
    Then add all together with pepper & salt + 2 tablespoon light cooking Philly cheese. Blitz until smooth. It's delicious!!
  • laur357
    laur357 Posts: 896 Member
    Creamy Cauliflower & Cheddar Soup
    Dice a medium onion, a carrot, and two stalks of celery.
    Sautee in a little oil/butter until soft. Add cauliflower (chopped, a small-med sized head) and 1-2 peeled russet potatoes cut into chunks.
    Add water or chicken stock until the vegetables are just covered (add salt & pepper to taste - I also add a little hot sauce or cayenne pepper for heat).
    Simmer for 20-30 minutes. Turn off heat and puree with an immersion blender and a little milk (or blend in batches - I use 2% or whole milk. It doesn't need much).
    Throw in some sharp cheddar or just sprinkle a little on top of each serving.

You can leave out the potato, but I think the texture is much creamier with a little in there. I've also used leeks instead of onions with Gruyere and Parmesan instead of the cheddar. Other good toppers - Chives & sour cream. Bacon! Sometimes I leave out the cheese and add some Indian curry spices & top with toasted chickpeas.
    It's hearty and filling - I recalculate the calories each time, and it's anywhere from 200-300 per serving
  • beckyhauser
    beckyhauser Posts: 34 Member
    Curried cauliflower soup. Delsih! It's a recipe from blend tec. No cream or butter or milk. Google it.
  • caroldavison332
    caroldavison332 Posts: 864 Member
    Cream o anything: make a white sauce by melting 1 tablespoon butter into 1 tablespoon flour. Mix in a cup of milk, stirring constantly. Cook until it boils. If you want it thinker add more flour, thinner, less flour. You can always think down a thick cream sauce. May need a squeeze of lemon, grind of pepper, a little chili, however you like it.

Cut cauliflower into steaks. Brush with butter, season with salt, pepper or garlic. bake at 350 degrees until done.
  • mjwarbeck
    mjwarbeck Posts: 699 Member
    made a soup yesterday: 1 head of cauliflower, 1 large carrot, 1 onion, 1 bouillon cube, 250g of cheddar...in a pressure cooker. Added salt and pepper to taste....yum!!
  • dorener
    dorener Posts: 52 Member
    Just made this last week and my new favorite recipe! Chop up two heads cauliflower, 1 parsnip, 3-4 carrots and 2 stalks celery; throw in large pot and just barely cover with water; add parsley and salt and pepper. Cook until the veggies are super soft (approx. 30 mins) take out 2/3 and purée. Add back to pot, cook another 15 minutes and your have the healthiest ever "cream" of vegetable soup!
  • RejsGirl
    RejsGirl Posts: 203 Member
    Thanks very much for all the wonderful ideas!
  • NAbramovich
    NAbramovich Posts: 131 Member
    This is my favorite: Heat up 2T of olive oil. Saute: 1 diced large onion; 1 diced leek; 1 cup chopped celery; and 1 head of cauliflower that you've cut into florets. After about 10 minutes, add 1/4 cup flour (i use rice flour since I can't eat gluten) and stir for 2 minutes. Then add 1 quart of chicken broth (you could use veggie if you wanted to go vegan), 1 cup sherry, 1 cup milk (I use almond milk) and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes. Then throw in blender. Season with salt and pepper to taste (I often throw in red pepper flakes because i like heat). This makes about 8 servings.
  • dklibert
    dklibert Posts: 1,196 Member
    I just made this last week too. Really good!

Cauliflower Cheese Soup
    Serves 4 to 6

Ingredients

Olive oil cooking spray
    1 small onion, chopped
    1 head of cauliflower, cut into florets
    4 cups unsalted chicken stock
    1/2 tsp. kosher salt, or to taste
    Dash of black and white pepper, or to taste
    Dash red pepper flakes, or to taste
    8 oz. Velveeta cheese, cubed

Directions

Spray a pot with olive oil, add in onions. Season with salt and pepper. Heat until tender, but not browned. Add in cauliflower and broth. Simmer, covered until cauliflower is cooked [about 15 min]. Remove from heat and stir in cheese until melted. Puree in the pot with an immersion or stick blender. Or pulse soup in a blender in two or three batches, until smooth. Taste for seasoning and adjust if necessary. Serve in mugs or cups for sipping.