Dairy free benefits!

I have a slight dairy intolerance and I have always cut out liquid milk and substituted it with soya light milk (not too keen on almond milk) I've cut out full dairy for a few weeks now and I'm really feeling the benefits in myself and in my workouts! Anyone the same?

Replies

• yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    Consuming too many servings of dairy products gives me some uncomfortable and unsociable side effects, so I use goats milk or reduced-lactose products where I can. I LOVE dairy so I was disappointed to have to reduce my intake but it made a difference pretty quickly. I'm not keen on almond or soy milk but I've found pretty good replacements for everything except strong, proper Cheddar.
    It doesn't affect my workouts or give me any other benefits besides giving me less gas TBH. I just get told to leave the room less in the evenings by my family and don't have to unbutton skinny jeans. No other miracle properties.
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Nope.
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    Only thing I can think of is that you might not get your daily calcium needs. Check to see if Soya is fortified with calcium carbonate.
  • 867530hniiine
    867530hniiine Posts: 6 Member
    I haven't had dairy in quite a while and I do not miss it! Soy milks and almond/coconut/cashew milks are all high in protein, b12 and calcium, they are very healthy and cruelty free! Dairy is just gross!
  • me3mae
    me3mae Posts: 3 Member
    This is something I'll have to try. I started drinking more milk when I focused on being healthier, but my chin is now covered in acne. I just had an article pop up about how dairy, like milk and whey protein can cause this. I'm going to try organic soy milk with little or no added flavors.
  • yesimpson
    I haven't had dairy in quite a while and I do not miss it! Soy milks and almond/coconut/cashew milks are all high in protein, b12 and calcium

I don't think I have never seen cashew milk in a supermarket my life, but it sounds worth a go so might have to hunt it out. Does it work OK in hot drinks?
  • Zoebaikie
    Zoebaikie Posts: 3 Member
    No more bloating! Bad skin and better digestion from happy gut! Also we are not baby cows so why do we drink their milk? Weird! I love getting protein and calcium from soy & almond milk :)
  • Hell_Flower
    Hell_Flower Posts: 348 Member
    Zoebaikie wrote: »
    No more bloating! Bad skin and better digestion from happy gut! Also we are not baby cows so why do we drink their milk? Weird! I love getting protein and calcium from soy & almond milk :)

What Zoe said!

I have also noticed that since cutting milk from my 3 daily coffees my periods have been a lot lighter and a LOT less painful and that my skin does not flare up with pimples around TOM.

WHO KNEW THAT MAYBE MILK ISN'T GOOD FOR US!
  • amyjane_g
    amyjane_g Posts: 33 Member
    I haven't drank cows milk since I was about 7, personally out of choice as it makes my chuck up reflux contract violently!

I live off of soya alternatives and never feel bloated. Soya milk is a good source of protein, full of vitamin A, B12, vitamin D, and potassium. It also contains as much protein as cow's milk, and is lower in calories than full-fat milk..

What's not to love about soya milk.. :smiley:
  • Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    I'm lactose intolerant, too. I switched to almond/cashew milk, but then developed a vitamin D deficiency. Now I use a fortified soy milk and all my bloodwork tests have come back fine for the past year. Gotta find what works best for you, though!
  • geneticsteacher
    geneticsteacher Posts: 623 Member
    Almond milk and cashew milk are both very low in protein.
  • bellaa_x0
    bellaa_x0 Posts: 1,062 Member
    unless you have a dairy intolerance like you mentioned, there's no reason or need to cut out dairy from your diet. too many people think completely cutting things/food groups out of their diet is going to somehow help them lose weight when its not necessary.
  • bbix
    bbix Posts: 1 Member
    Yes, I have more energy and less bloating, cramping, heartburn and stuffiness. I have also noticed that the scale is continually going down whereas before, I found it hard to lose weight and the number on the scale would be up or down by a couple pounds on any given day.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,994 Member
    No problems with dairy at all...
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,994 Member
    bellaa_x0 wrote: »
    unless you have a dairy intolerance like you mentioned, there's no reason or need to cut out dairy from your diet. too many people think completely cutting things/food groups out of their diet is going to somehow help them lose weight when its not necessary.
    ^^^This...
  • mean_and_lean
    mean_and_lean Posts: 164 Member
    Nope, sorry. Not going to give up my milk, cheese, yogurt, cottage cheese. . . .I drink raw milk which is much better for you than the pasteurized, homogenized crap you get in the store.
  • BABetter1
    BABetter1 Posts: 618 Member
    yesimpson wrote: »
    I haven't had dairy in quite a while and I do not miss it! Soy milks and almond/coconut/cashew milks are all high in protein, b12 and calcium

I don't think I have never seen cashew milk in a supermarket my life, but it sounds worth a go so might have to hunt it out. Does it work OK in hot drinks?

I love unsweetened cashew milk. It doesn't have the sweet flavor that almond milk has, and therefore doesn't alter the taste of a savory food or drink as much. It tastes more like regular old milk to me. I use it in recipes wherever I would normally use milk.
  • yesimpson
    bgorum wrote: »
    yesimpson wrote: »

I love unsweetened cashew milk. It doesn't have the sweet flavor that almond milk has, and therefore doesn't alter the taste of a savory food or drink as much. It tastes more like regular old milk to me. I use it in recipes wherever I would normally use milk.

Thanks. I'm intrigued, I'll have to find some.
  • tryasimighty
    tryasimighty Posts: 131 Member
    I noticed a direct correlation between acne breakouts and when I had dairy (I experimented several times) I have avoided it for a while now and there is massive improvement in my skin and also my digestion is hugely improved. I have unsweetend almond milk and it is fortified with B vitamin, I use it in place of milk with everything and really like the taste. And no more burping after a bowl of cereal! Bonus as it hadn't occurred to me why this happened! I think its best to be open minded with anything diet related we are all very different, and the better you eat for your own body the better your well-being all round. What is true for one is certainly not true for everyone, listen to your body.
  • cross2bear
    cross2bear Posts: 1,106 Member
    There have been lawsuits in both the UK and the US regarding just how many (or actually, how few) almonds there are in so called almond milk. You know you can make your own and then control exactly what goes into it. Always read the labels so you know what you are consuming.