Possibly Pregnant

Options
So I've been using MFP to lose weight for over a year, and am now trying to get pregnant. I know that when you are pregnant, you need to eat more calories than normal, so what would my new goal be? Also, I'm trying to decide what to do right now. I'm hoping I'm pregnant, but it's too soon for a pregnancy test. I've been feeling hungry all the time the last few days, but I don't know if that's because of early pregnancy, or if I'm just being overly snack-hungry. Thoughts? Should I eat as if I'm pregnant even though I don't know that I am? Or wait until the confirmation?

Replies

• 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Generally you don't up the calories until the second trimester and then a bit more by the third.
  • ragenhay1
    ragenhay1 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Just eat at maintenance for the first and most of the second trimester. It's not until about half way through your pregnancy that you really need to up calories. Even then it is only about 300 more per day I believe. I haven't looked it up in a while.
  • emmycantbemeeko
    emmycantbemeeko Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Maerwhyn wrote: »
    So I've been using MFP to lose weight for over a year, and am now trying to get pregnant. I know that when you are pregnant, you need to eat more calories than normal, so what would my new goal be? Also, I'm trying to decide what to do right now. I'm hoping I'm pregnant, but it's too soon for a pregnancy test. I've been feeling hungry all the time the last few days, but I don't know if that's because of early pregnancy, or if I'm just being overly snack-hungry. Thoughts? Should I eat as if I'm pregnant even though I don't know that I am? Or wait until the confirmation?

If you're too early to test, then even if you are pregnant, implantation hasn't even happened yet, or is just now happening i.e., your body doesn't "know" about the pregnancy yet.

Even once you are pregnant, the first few weeks, the embryo is *extremely* tiny. Little speck of cells tiny. While you may have increased hunger due to hormonal changes, you actually won't have much of an actual increase in TDEE till well after the point several weeks in where you've seen your doctor for confirmation and first checkup, and that's a good time to talk to her about your nutritional needs during pregnancy.
  • Maerwhyn
    Maerwhyn Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the input! I knew about the 300 calorie difference, but didn't know that it doesn't really kick in until second trimester. This'll be my third pregnancy, and I felt starving from nearly day one with both of the others. So I don't have to up the calories yet, but I should go to maintenance mode (approx. 2000 daily) rather than weight loss (I was doing 1500 daily) correct?
  • Ameech846
    Ameech846 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I'm 7 weeks pregnant with my 5. The best thing I did in my pregnancies was listen to my body, and not gain too much. My first pregnancy I gained 50 pounds. Way too much for me. My last 3 I gained 25-30. I eat maintainance calories for the first tri. Then +200 first half of 2nd, then +300-400 toward the end. I count to make sure I get enough even when I'm nauseated. And I also count calories to resist craving gnoshing, which makes me feel sick.
  • katiefox21
    katiefox21 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    There is not a need to up calories this soon if you are eating enough to maintain weight, but listen to your body. I am always amazed to hear my patients tell me about how they knew they were pregnant before the test was even positive. Food cravings, breast tenderness, a feeling of "just knowing something is different." It's amazing how in tune some women are with their bodies. If you think you might be pregnant, definitely eat like you could be just in case, but at this point that doesn't mean you need to eat extra calories. Most importantly, make sure you are getting enough folic acid. This is really important at the beginning of pregnancy because it prevents brain and spinal cord deformities and the brain stem is one of the first things to form in the fetus. If you aren't taking a vitamin or prenatal supplement with folic acid already, start as soon as possible. Also make sure you are getting enough iron. Congrats!
  • Colorscheme
    Colorscheme Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    I didnt up any calories until the third trimester. I only gained 25 lbs during my pregnancy because I stayed active until 6 months when I developed SPD and could not even walk without my pelvis hurting. Otherwise, I was walking and biking and doing everything else I normally do.
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Options
    @Maerwhyn you can't go wrong eating at maintenance if you're struggling with hunger, pregnant or not. A few days while you wait for confirmation at maintenance could give you peace of mind.. And stomach! I want to second the advice to make sure you're getting plenty of folic acid and other nutrients.

Beat wishes!
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    all the other advice has been good, so I'm just going to leave you one more thought: Don't act like you're pregnant until you have a positive test in hand.

It can take a healthy couple up to a year to get pregnant. If you start acting pregnant every time you hit the two week wait, you'll drive yourself crazy. Once you have that positive test, adjust your calories to maintenance, but don't stress about it beforehand.