Favorite pre and post workout supplements?

Options

Replies

• bruhaha007
    bruhaha007 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Thanks @DustinSuiter - I am following a very similar nutrient timing myself.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    bruhaha007 wrote: »
    Thanks @DustinSuiter - I am following a very similar nutrient timing myself.

There really isn't a need for nutrient timing unless it's fast acting carbs for very hard and extended workouts. The evidence just doesn't show much if any real benefit, but a lot of people will do it for the psychological benefits, and the supplement industry, with a few notable exceptions, is pretty much one big placebo effect in the first place.

A great source for this would be Alan Aragon's blog http://www.alanaragon.com/articles.
  • bruhaha007
    Options
    Perhaps you are right @Wheelhouse15 and you have had great results and have done a lot of homework. I do notice a big impact on my workouts personally taking them and perhaps it could be placebo effect but whatever the case, it is working. :)
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options
    bruhaha007 wrote: »
    Perhaps you are right @Wheelhouse15 and you have had great results and have done a lot of homework. I do notice a big impact on my workouts personally taking them and perhaps it could be placebo effect but whatever the case, it is working. :)

I won't argue with results even if they are placebo! :)
  • ro55ymac
    ro55ymac Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    You have literally just beat your body into submission and have literally torn your muscles to create larger regrowth.

I hope you haven't literally torn your muscles. Got to say I prefer to try and create a stimulus for growth. But then maybe it depends on your goals.

I'm train powerlifting now and have got to say, I don't feel the need to take nutrition during my workout, but then I'm very well fed anyway. When I used to run ultra-marathons, I would need a few gummy bears to get me through.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    edited February 2016
    Options
    There has been some recent studies that really put into play the actual nutrient timing of supplements for pre, during and post workouts. Surprisingly there are a ton of stuff out there but most of them may not play well with each other either. So much of it is the quality of supps. that leads to a higher absorption rate (what I am using happens to be 98%). The cheaper and lower quality it is, the lower the absorption rate. This basically means that you are creating a very expensive urine, lol. Pre workout supps are a great option to open up your blood flow, create better breathing capacity which will help with endurance and gain some extra energy to get through and boost your workouts. A great electrolyte and hydration drink during your workout is a major bonus too as it will keep fueling your muscles through it. Once the glycogen stores are exhausted your body will then start pulling fuel from your muscles. This is where you will see people plateau or take a step backwards in performance. The post workout is probably the most important portion to this all. You have literally just beat your body into submission and have literally torn your muscles to create larger regrowth. If you do not replace everything plus more from what you have just depleted in your body, it will then start to diminish itself. Timing may play more of a part in it then most people think. If you are taking most of the general population and looking at their workouts, they may not be as strenuous as an elite level athlete. An elite level athlete will certainly see the benefits of nutrient timing more so then the average joe. Now if you take the average joe, pump up their workout more then the average gym wanderer and introduce this great supplementation and nutrient timing, they will see huge gains and benefits. Our bodies are one big system, so to think that one supplement will create a massive harmony is false thinking. Our bodies need to be addressed in a systematic manner.

My routine:
    Starts first thing in the morning by drinking minerals that deal with the cortisol levels (stresses) by use of adaptogens. Not only emotional but physical so this is huge for recovery and soreness.

Pre workout - A natural energy booster shot (no artificial stimulants at all as its yerba mate and green tea based). Then a single drink blend of creatine (improves your performance and reduces fatigue), nitrosigine and citrulline (which support blood flow and maximize delivery of nutrients and oxygen to the working muscles).

During workout - A hydration sports drink that has 100% RDA of Vitamin C plus a full B-Complex
    Glycogen blend of fast-absorbing carbs for performance. Also no artificial flavors, colors, or sweeteners.

Post workout - A supplement with branched-chain amino acids to help your muscles rebuild
    after exercise. I also mix this in with an undenatured whey protein (this is very different from a costco or GNC type) to boost my recovery process. At times I'll also use the minerals again for reduction of soreness and muscle stress.

Now if you really want to turn it up, throw in a pre-workout shot to support nitric oxide production to help your muscles train harder and longer. Then during your work out if needing an immediate pick me up you can use a fuel pack that has a quick carb, sugar, BCAA load. The best thing about all the supps. I use is that they are completely all natural that way the body can break them down to absorb and utilize so they are not stored as fats or gone to waste.

You do realize how much glycogen one can store and further understand that generally the only people who go through their capacity are marathon runners and cyclist, or pro athletes?

Also, supplement price has NO indication of supplement quality (e.g. Shakeology). And since industry is so highly unregulated it's very difficult to determine which is the best quality as there aren't too many studies done on company's quality (unless the brand has been certified by the USP or another organization that is similar).
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Supliments are for those who can't possibly eat enough food IMHO. They are marketed to make money. The majority of lifters do not need it. I have no problem eating my cals and hitting my macros, so why waste money? Whole foods are probably better in most cases, but that's another discussion.

I have a large cup of coffee preworkout. It's all one really needs and it's cheaper. I just don't find the need walking around shaking a cup to show people I am serious about lifting.

Post, I eat what I crave at the time. Usually it's tuna or chicken with a large bowl of ice cream.

• juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Chieflrg wrote: »
    Supliments are for those who can't possibly eat enough food IMHO. They are marketed to make money. The majority of lifters do not need it. I have no problem eating my cals and hitting my macros, so why waste money? Whole foods are probably better in most cases, but that's another discussion.

I have a large cup of coffee preworkout. It's all one really needs and it's cheaper. I just don't find the need walking around shaking a cup to show people I am serious about lifting.

Post, I eat what I crave at the time. Usually it's tuna or chicken with a large bowl of ice cream.

This is my philosophy as well.

An occasional smoothie with some whey protein powder (maybe 2-3x a week) on days I'm short on my protein macro is as close to 'supplementing' as I get.
  • bruhaha007
    Options
    Great transformation @juggernaut1974 I probably fall in the camp of people that due to busy work schedule don't have time to prepare enough quality meals so meal replacement shakes with a few supplements make it so much simpler for me. I think people can be successful either way and appreciate your opinion and @Chiefirg

I did ask for any and all opinions :)
  • jmt08c
    jmt08c Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Pre kaged or OutLift for my pre, Alpha amino for intra, and modern creatine/Whey isolate post workout. I see a difference in work capacity and fatigue if I miss either my pre or intra workout supp. The Alpha Amino helps to decrease next day soreness quite a bit as there's 2g of taurine per serving.

I'm sure some people would deem some of those supplements unnecessary but they work for me.
  • FabianRodriguez94
    FabianRodriguez94 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    For pre-workout, I use Wreckage by Musclepharm, no jitters or tingles but feel really pumped and focused. Try to save it for stressful days where motivation is low.

For post, don't really use anything except some "Gainz" BCAA's, by musclepharm as well. Only use it when I am pretty low on protein for the day and do not have room for calories.
  • codsterlaing95
    codsterlaing95 Posts: 221 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I'm sorry but OP has a lot of misconceptions, especially when it comes to nutrition/diet.

You can blame the mainstream media for misleading people.
  • SteveJWatson
    SteveJWatson Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    There has been some recent studies that really put into play the actual nutrient timing of supplements for pre, during and post workouts. Surprisingly there are a ton of stuff out there but most of them may not play well with each other either. So much of it is the quality of supps. that leads to a higher absorption rate (what I am using happens to be 98%). The cheaper and lower quality it is, the lower the absorption rate. This basically means that you are creating a very expensive urine, lol. Pre workout supps are a great option to open up your blood flow, create better breathing capacity which will help with endurance and gain some extra energy to get through and boost your workouts. A great electrolyte and hydration drink during your workout is a major bonus too as it will keep fueling your muscles through it. Once the glycogen stores are exhausted your body will then start pulling fuel from your muscles. This is where you will see people plateau or take a step backwards in performance. The post workout is probably the most important portion to this all. You have literally just beat your body into submission and have literally torn your muscles to create larger regrowth. If you do not replace everything plus more from what you have just depleted in your body, it will then start to diminish itself. Timing may play more of a part in it then most people think. If you are taking most of the general population and looking at their workouts, they may not be as strenuous as an elite level athlete. An elite level athlete will certainly see the benefits of nutrient timing more so then the average joe. Now if you take the average joe, pump up their workout more then the average gym wanderer and introduce this great supplementation and nutrient timing, they will see huge gains and benefits. Our bodies are one big system, so to think that one supplement will create a massive harmony is false thinking. Our bodies need to be addressed in a systematic manner.

My routine:
    Starts first thing in the morning by drinking minerals that deal with the cortisol levels (stresses) by use of adaptogens. Not only emotional but physical so this is huge for recovery and soreness.

Pre workout - A natural energy booster shot (no artificial stimulants at all as its yerba mate and green tea based). Then a single drink blend of creatine (improves your performance and reduces fatigue), nitrosigine and citrulline (which support blood flow and maximize delivery of nutrients and oxygen to the working muscles).

During workout - A hydration sports drink that has 100% RDA of Vitamin C plus a full B-Complex
    Glycogen blend of fast-absorbing carbs for performance. Also no artificial flavors, colors, or sweeteners.

Post workout - A supplement with branched-chain amino acids to help your muscles rebuild
    after exercise. I also mix this in with an undenatured whey protein (this is very different from a costco or GNC type) to boost my recovery process. At times I'll also use the minerals again for reduction of soreness and muscle stress.

Now if you really want to turn it up, throw in a pre-workout shot to support nitric oxide production to help your muscles train harder and longer. Then during your work out if needing an immediate pick me up you can use a fuel pack that has a quick carb, sugar, BCAA load. The best thing about all the supps. I use is that they are completely all natural that way the body can break them down to absorb and utilize so they are not stored as fats or gone to waste.

Please explain to me how an "energy booster" drink containing green tea is "natural", whereas, presumably coffee is not... Both come from plants and both contain caffeine as the active stimulant...

Also; if you are going to insist on your diet being "natural", where do chemically refined/isolated vitamins and other suppliments fit with this?
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    I usually just sip BCAAs during my workout.

If i'm having a REAL rough day i might drink a coffee, sugar free energy drink, etc. before my workout. I have to be really careful with this, however, as i have anxiety and this can trigger a panic attack and insomnia for me. I can't personally take any pre-workout supps without these side effects.

Post workout i eat dinner. :)
  • Scamd83
    Scamd83 Posts: 808 Member
    Options
    If anyone is feeling the benefit of supplements then good for them. I'm definitely with the other side of that argument though. I've never felt any better for having supplements, except for this one time I tried a pre-workout that my gym was giving out samples of and I managed to do two hours of a full body session with minimal rest. But then I felt horribly ill later on. I use whey, but usually to mix in with cocoa and avocado or banana to create what I think is called a 'smoothie'? Post workout I usually have a 471 ml bottle of Frijj chocolate milk. Pre-workout coffee has the opposite effect for me, it makes me a bit dizzy and lethargic so I just keep coffee for well outside of pre/post workout windows.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    I think for the most part these supplements are just marketing gimmicks...I do take a whey supplement pretty much everyday because I know that without it I'm not hitting my targets...other than that, I usually have an apple on the way to the gym and dinner shortly after I get home.
  • 883xlsportster
    883xlsportster Posts: 221 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Pre - Black coffee & a dart.
    Post -ON Gold Standard with milk.
  • BLifts38
    BLifts38 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    preworkout - cellucor c4 or cobra lab's the curse. poptarts if i'm bulking.
    post - food! or whey protein. bcaa's if i have them.

This is interesting to me. I've taken both of these. I have found that C4 did absolutely NOTHING for me. It's very sugary.. and known to be a milder preworkout... whereas The Curse is known to be a stronger one.

Do you this is the same for you?
  • SteveJWatson
    SteveJWatson Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    I think for the most part these supplements are just marketing gimmicks...I do take a whey supplement pretty much everyday because I know that without it I'm not hitting my targets...other than that, I usually have an apple on the way to the gym and dinner shortly after I get home.

Is whey a supplement strictly speaking? Its just whats left after cheesemaking with the water taken out. It is to cheese what skimmed milk is to cream....more or less.
  • Wheelhouse15
    edited February 2016
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

Is whey a supplement strictly speaking? Its just whats left after cheesemaking with the water taken out. It is to cheese what skimmed milk is to cream....more or less.

Yes it's a highly processed supplement, because whey powder isn't what you get after separating curds and whey in cheese making. It's a highly processed substance often acid bathed to further purify and denature it. If you want the real whey you are thinking about than what you'll want is quark or ricotta cheese.

Note, I'm not demonizing processing, I use whey powder but I'm just pointing out that it's whey protein and not really whey per se.