How much gym time?

Options
I am currently running around 5k 3 times a week. My aim is weight loss and fitness, and the running and Using mfp have resulted in weight loss of around 35lb. I'm considering joining a gym to learn to use weights, but have very little free time. Just wondering how often I would need to use the gym and how long I could expect to be there each time I go, in order to see results.

Replies

• jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    Id say lifting 3 times a week minimum and each session should be 45-60 minutes, but no more. People always assume more is better. Aim for 9-12 sets a muscle group. Unless you'd prefer doing strength training. Then I'd recommend looking into strong lifts 5x5 or starting strength. Both good beginner strength training programs. One quick tip. Do not do smaller muscle groups first. Nor should you do back one day then follow with biceps the next day, same for chest, shoulders, and triceps. Many people will pair muscle groups that work in tandem to prevent overtraining and impeding recovery.
  • sarahredhaira
    sarahredhaira Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your answer. I've got a gym in mind that I am going to look at today. It's near work, so I'm hoping I can fit in 3 sessions a week (along with 2 children, working ridiculously long hours at work, and the 3 runs in already doing). You think 45 mins minimum time, then? I don't want to sign up and then find that I can't get there enough to make it worth while, but I really feel ready to do more than the running now. I'm hoping the gym will be able to give me advice about starting as I do feel clueless! When I've been a member of a gym before I did mostly cardio, but now I run and I have an exercise bike and cross trainer at home, I'm looking at using different equipment at the gym than I have done in the past.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    I would say as a beginner 2 x week full body workout would be good and 3 x week would be optimum.

Your gym should give you an introduction so they can set up a program for you or if you have one in mind help with technique.
    But make sure you are very clear what your goals are - none of this "I just want to tone up" nonsense! :smile:
  • sarahredhaira
    Options
    Thank you. How about "I want to look good and feel good" as a goal?!
  • JoshuaMcAllister
    JoshuaMcAllister Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your answer. I've got a gym in mind that I am going to look at today. It's near work, so I'm hoping I can fit in 3 sessions a week (along with 2 children, working ridiculously long hours at work, and the 3 runs in already doing). You think 45 mins minimum time, then? I don't want to sign up and then find that I can't get there enough to make it worth while, but I really feel ready to do more than the running now. I'm hoping the gym will be able to give me advice about starting as I do feel clueless! When I've been a member of a gym before I did mostly cardio, but now I run and I have an exercise bike and cross trainer at home, I'm looking at using different equipment at the gym than I have done in the past.

I'd would say 30 minutes minimum, with what you've said it looks like your main aim is just to improve general fitness and well being (as well as looking good)
    sijomial wrote: »
    I would say as a beginner 2 x week full body workout would be good and 3 x week would be optimum.

Your gym should give you an introduction so they can set up a program for you or if you have one in mind help with technique.
    But make sure you are very clear what your goals are - none of this "I just want to tone up" nonsense! :smile:

So with those goals in mind 30 minutes circuit or HIIT training 2/3 times a week will achieve your goals. Make sure your including full body and as sijomial says body weight would be your best way for you to go. For beginners learning to use your body can be more useful than weights, which also means no waiting around for weights and bits of kit.

Also don't forget to train your core. As a runner you'll be amazed at the improvements you will make when your out with a strong core.

• sarahredhaira
    Options
    Thanks everyone. Some really good advice. I'm definitely hoping that it will have an affect on my running too. I started running because I felt totally unfit and I thought it might help me to lose weight (along with changes to my diet). I didn't expect to love running! But now that I've lost weight (still some way to go) I definitely feel that I want to look good as well as weighing less, and I totally love the fact that I feel great, and want to feel even better!
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options

I'd would say 30 minutes minimum, with what you've said it looks like your main aim is just to improve general fitness and well being (as well as looking good)
    sijomial wrote: »

So with those goals in mind 30 minutes circuit or HIIT training 2/3 times a week will achieve your goals. Make sure your including full body and as sijomial says body weight would be your best way for you to go. For beginners learning to use your body can be more useful than weights, which also means no waiting around for weights and bits of kit.

Also don't forget to train your core. As a runner you'll be amazed at the improvements you will make when your out with a strong core.
    @JoshuaMcAllister
    I didn't say body weight training I said full body workout. That would be a mixture of push/pull exercises for both upper and lower body. Compound lifts by far the most time efficient and beneficial for quicker results and functional strength.

Body weight training is fine but if you are going to the gym might as well use the equipment there.
    HIIT and circuit training doesn't align with the OP's stated goal of learning to use weights.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    That depends on when you go to the gym, how busy it is, the amount of equipment they have available at that time.

If you were to use a beginner strength program like Starting Strength or Strong lifts you would be looking at any where from 40-60 min to start.

Results will be depending on how much time you put into it.