Having trouble losing

Options
a little about me.. 5'8" currently 155.4 lbs. consider myself very active. I have been tracking my meals on MFP for a little over 2 weeks. I've only lost 3.4 lbs in that time frame. I would think I would be losing more since my caloric intake is less than 1300 and I'm burning close to 3000 calories a day. And yes, I am documenting everything I put in my mouth down to Splenda packets, spray butter, gum, if it goes in my mouth it is documented in my diary. I've also increased my step count since starting MFP. Just wanting to see what your thoughts are and if I should try something different. I want to get down to 145.

Replies

• diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    You're within a healthy weight for your height. At this point weight loss has a tendency to go slow. Like 1/2 pound per week slow. 3+ pounds lost in two weeks is excellent progress!
  • Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    You're not having trouble losing weight; your rate of loss is just fine. Do you weigh all of your food? How are your burns being calculated?
  • murp4069
    murp4069 Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    3.4 lbs in 2 weeks is a great loss, congrats! Are you weighing your food on a food scale? Also, how are you measuring your calorie burns? With so little to lose, logging has to be super tight. I'm the same weight but about an inch shorter and I've had to tighten up my logging recently because my weight loss slowed down quite a bit after the first 10 lbs (I started at 170, goal is 140). I've slowed down to 0.5-0.8 lbs/week, which so far seems sustainable.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    You're within a healthy weight for your height. At this point weight loss has a tendency to go slow. Like 1/2 pound per week slow. 3+ pounds lost in two weeks is excellent progress!

This.

Your biggest problem right now is unreasonable expectations. Adjust them and you'll feel a lot better.

How are you calculating a 3000 calorie burn each day?
  • sherrybroom
    sherrybroom Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I weigh all of my food and scan bar codes for everything I eat if it comes out of a package. I have a Fitbit which tracks my steps and exercise. I'm a runner and run daily. I have ran/walked at least 10 miles a day the past week. I figured no matter how much you weigh that if you burn more than you take in then it would result in weight loss. I was just hoping for more of a loss this morning when I got on the scale.
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    Options
    @sherrybroom You are not having any problem with weight loss. As everyone above has said you need to adjust your expectations/mindset. My average was about 1kg = 2.2 lbs per month and I am down 79 lbs.

I suggest the links in this Important Posts to Read.
    There is a lot of great information in it.

Relax - Slow down you will get to your goal/destination with a lot less stress.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    I do not see a problem with loosing here at all. I second the motion to relax and slow down. You did not gain it in a month, and you sure will not loose it in a month.

But you are loosing and you want more losses on the scale? There are people that would beg for a 3.4 pounds in the first two weeks... (my body did not responds till the 4 -5th week).

• sherrybroom
    Options
    @juliet3455 - thanks for all of the info!
    @jemhh @murp4069 @synacious @diannethegeek
    Thanks everyone. Not sure if my expectations are too high/unreasonable as I have known people to lose more in that time frame. I am going by the calorie deficit theory and by that theory I should have lost more. I'm glad I'm on the right track as this is my first time I have been on a diet that I have logged everything I have eaten and all of my exercise.
  • sherrybroom
    Options
    gia07 wrote: »
    I do not see a problem with loosing here at all. I second the motion to relax and slow down. You did not gain it in a month, and you sure will not loose it in a month.

But you are loosing and you want more losses on the scale? There are people that would beg for a 3.4 pounds in the first two weeks... (my body did not responds till the 4 -5th week).
    Thanks! I just know I've been putting in the work and it's just frustrating not seeing it on the scale. And so true.. I didn't gain it in a month. Just those 5 week out goals that show up when you close out your diary are misleading... I was going by that and just had my hopes up.
  • Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    @juliet3455 - thanks for all of the info!
    @jemhh @murp4069 @synacious @diannethegeek
    Not sure if my expectations are too high/unreasonable as I have known people to lose more in that time frame. I am going by the calorie deficit theory and by that theory I should have lost more. I'm glad I'm on the right track as this is my first time I have been on a diet that I have logged everything I have eaten and all of my exercise.

Even if every one of those people were all women with your exact height and starting weight, eating the same exact foods as you and doing the same exact exercise as you, you can't compare yourself to other people. There are a number of factors that go into your rate of loss.

Also, even though CICO is true, weight loss is not linear. If you have a deficit of 7000 calories for the week, you should not expect to step on the scale and see an exact two pound loss for the week. Our weights fluctuate constantly due to water weight. Muscle repair, your TOM, a high sodium day, or a higher carb day are just a few of many examples that causes the body to retain water.