Do you log your exercise?

Options

Replies

• toutmonpossible
    toutmonpossible Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    I used to log exercise, but do not anymore. I developed the mindset that "oh, I burned 500 calories, I can eat an additional 500 calories if I want." So I log my food, but keep the exercise out.

Exactly. For one thing, you may not actually have burned 500 calories, that's just what the machine said. On top of the that, you may have eaten more calories than you thought, because you forgot to log something, or didn't know what the content was,, or the label may have underestimated the calories. So if you add the thought that you are entitled to eat 500 more calories you can easily destroy your calorie deficit and gain weight.
  • toutmonpossible
    toutmonpossible Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    This thread is full of such awful advice.

Thanks for being so helpful.
  • Yeller_Sensation
    Yeller_Sensation Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    Do you log your exercise when you are trying to lose weight?
    Do you use your exercise calories?

Not anymore to both questions because I don't use MFP's calculator. I calculated my macros and TDEE with the formula in this thread: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    When I was using MFP's calorie suggestions, I logged and ate all my exercise calories. Because you're supposed to. And I lost my weight at the rate I wanted to lose it, and never felt like I was "dieting."

From this page: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/help/faq/3-how-does-myfitnesspal-work
    How does MyFitnessPal work?

Using MyFitnessPal is very simple. Here's how our basic process works:

1. Based on your fitness profile, we'll recommend a daily net calorie target for you to achieve your weight loss (or gain) goals.

2. As you eat and exercise throughout the day, you need to log your meals and exercise in our Food and Exercise diaries. MyFitnessPal will calculate the number of calories you've consumed and burned from exercise and let you know how many calories you have left to eat for the day. If you stick within your calorie limits, you should achieve the weight loss you're looking for.

I've been eating based on my TDEE for about a year now, and just find it easier. I don't necessarily have a lower appetite on rest days and a higher appetite after big calorie burns, so eating to the same goal every day works better for me.

If you're doing it right, you'll get about the same total calories either way.
  • caseythirteen
    caseythirteen Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    I use the TDEE method so while I do log my intentional exercise, I only log it as a 1 calorie burn. Makes life a bit easier that way.
  • Annerk1
    Annerk1 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    I log my cardio. I do not log my strength training although I do make note of it. I try to eat back at least some of the calories, although if I run a longer distance like a half-marathon I find it almost impossible to eat the amount of food I would need to in order to eat them all back unless I want to eat junk, which I refuse to do.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I use the TDEE method, so I don't log my exercise.
  • gracielynn1011
    gracielynn1011 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    I do log my exercise, but do not eat the calories back. I don't eat the calories that MFP adds back because I am going by the TDEE method, so my calorie goal is set higher to begin with. By logging it, I can keep better track of how many minutes each day I spend doing "planned" exercise, in addition to my daily routine, this helps me keep accurate track of my TDEE level.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    I used to log exercise, but do not anymore. I developed the mindset that "oh, I burned 500 calories, I can eat an additional 500 calories if I want." So I log my food, but keep the exercise out.

Exactly. For one thing, you may not actually have burned 500 calories, that's just what the machine said. On top of the that, you may have eaten more calories than you thought, because you forgot to log something, or didn't know what the content was,, or the label may have underestimated the calories. So if you add the thought that you are entitled to eat 500 more calories you can easily destroy your calorie deficit and gain weight.
    It's how MFP is designed to work though. By deliberately not eating back exercise calories, you are disregarding the goal recommended to you.* Why immediately assume that machines and the database will overestimate your burn? Why assume that you're making mistakes in logging food? Why not just try MFP the way it was designed to work for a while and see if it works? While I was losing, I logged my exercise calories and ate all of them back, and I lost at the rate predicted by MFP. I've been maintaining for 7 months by eating all of my exercise calories back. Yes, the database can be inaccurate, and some people have found that for them, it's wildly inaccurate. It's not a given though. I really don't get the mentality that "it may not be 100% accurate, so therefore I'm not going to eat any of them back". The mindset of "oh, I burned 500 calories, I can eat an additional 500 calories if I want." is the one you're supposed to have, if you're using the MFP method. That's how it works.

*Obviously there are other ways, such as calculating your TDEE and subtracting a certain amount, in which case, don't eat back exercise calories. I'm referring to MFP's NEAT method.
  • koing
    koing Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Cardio, yes, weights no.

Koing
  • Coquette6
    Coquette6 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I log it on Fitbit and let it do the math for me. Then I just eat enough to keep a 250 calorie deficit.
  • lilcassers
    lilcassers Posts: 163
    Options
    No. I consume the same amount of calories whether I exercise or not so it doesn't matter. If I got so hung up on logging exercise I would make myself crazy.
  • Jett_05
    Jett_05 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I log my cardio but not my strength training. I know this is a little weird - I just don't like how MFP lays out strength training. I also have two very active jobs.

I typically eat an extra 200-500 calories over my base allotment but have not been seeing a good weight loss on the scales i have lost inches and am much more toned) yet so I think I'm going to cut it back.
  • sjp_511
    sjp_511 Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Yes I log my exercise and I also eat back my exercise calories. I need the fuel to get through my long runs and I also like to treat myself. My rule: a run of 10 miles or more earns me some ice cream.
  • javacafe
    javacafe Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I primarily depend on strength training for my fitness needs. I log all of it in its own app, and then I do copy them over to MFP's "exercise diary." I find it interesting and amusing to do so. I don't like how MFP doesn't count any of that effort toward my TDEE. (I don't suppose there is an easy way to do that.)

Do any of you know of an app or software that can track calories burned while working out with weights, please share that information.

My runs, when and if I can run (my weak knee constantly threatens to sabotage such efforts), are logged by the Runkeeper app (on Android), and transferred automatically to MFP.
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,630 Member
    Options
    I log my cardio but not my strength training. I know this is a little weird - I just don't like how MFP lays out strength training. I also have two very active jobs.

I typically eat an extra 200-500 calories over my base allotment but have not been seeing a good weight loss on the scales i have lost inches and am much more toned) yet so I think I'm going to cut it back.

Jett, I don't know if you are aware, but if, when you log your exercise, you put "strength training" under cardio, it gives you an estimation. This is if you really wanted it in your diary.
  • javacafe
    javacafe Posts: 79 Member
    Options

Jett, I don't know if you are aware, but if, when you log your exercise, you put "strength training" under cardio, it gives you an estimation. This is if you really wanted it in your diary.

Thank you so much for this tip!

One quick question, in case you know . . . Should I log the *total* time spent exercising, including rest period between sets and routines? Or, do I have to measure only the amount of time during which effort is expended?
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Yes and Yes. I use a Polar FT4 HRM for my calorie burns and have always eaten them back.
  • lhourin
    lhourin Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Yes, I log everything. I usually eat it back, too, though I'm not necessarily trying to lose weight.

ETA: Calories burned are based on HRM.
  • annakow
    annakow Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Yes and do exercise every day. I have just created new Tae Bo cardio Inferno entry exercise with 500 cal burned in 1h, there is one stating you lose 800 cal/h...well, maybe if you are Billy Blanks yourselfl LOL good luck and move your bum from the sofa ppl :)