Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

What is clean eating?

Options

Replies

• Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    I've noticed that butter and fat are no longer the bugaboos they once were. I wonder sometimes if this is because of food communities like this one.

This puts me in mind of an old Star Trek; The Next Generation episode. The episode, "Thine Own Self", was aired in 1994. The dietary zeitgeist of the time poked its head in:

According to tor.com:
    On Barkon, Garvin takes Data to a physician named Talur, who theorizes that he’s an “iceman,” a person from the snowy regions of the mountains (where no one has ever been, but there are stories). She diagnoses him with malnutrition and tells him to eat some meat, butter, and cheese and she’ll check back tomorrow.

Get it? The joke is that these were backwards peasants who would recommend the totally wrong foods. The doctor couldn't tell that he was an android! Everyone knew back in 1994 that you need to eat ten servings of whole grains, along with lots of fruits and vegetables, and avoid fat, to be healthy. What a silly backward recommendation that doctor made!

Yet here we are, 2 decades later, putting butter in our coffee and throwing coconut oil into everything.

Is it any wonder I question what "healthy" foods are?
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    sullus wrote: »
    Jruzer wrote: »
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I've had to admit that we do not live in a clearly ordered universe. Even terms that we think are universally understood turn out to have fuzzy edges. Take "furniture" for instance. We all think we know what that means, right? But how do you classify a "stool"? Is it furniture or something else? The big stuff, like sofas, we all agree, but for people who make a living classifying, debates over what a "stool" really is creates ever sharpening definitions.

I actually argue about definitions all the time in my real life job. Maybe that's why this serves as a fun break.

Definitions are important. Words mean things. Definitions delineate ideas.

A well formed definition means that much thought has gone into the meanings of the terms. Wars have been fought over meanings. Fortunes have been won and lost based on meanings.

True, but not all words have definitive meanings in isolation. Sometimes you need context to get to the actual meaning of a particular word in a particular situation.

Wait. I'm getting deja vu..... hang on. Is that sort of like, "healthy and unhealthy cannot be defined in isolation of a single food? It is the context of the overall diet that matters"? No, that can't be... ;)

That way lies madness. Next you'll be saying that people can eat Oreos (provided they're cleaned, kept in their natural state/aren't processed, don't come from a box, and are found on the outer edge of the grocery store) and can still lose weight....

zn5bdg6llc5z.jpg

Of course you realize, this means that we all must now try to fit 5 in to break the MFP record...
  • ClosetBayesian
    ClosetBayesian Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    I've had to admit that we do not live in a clearly ordered universe. Even terms that we think are universally understood turn out to have fuzzy edges. Take "furniture" for instance. We all think we know what that means, right? But how do you classify a "stool"? Is it furniture or something else? The big stuff, like sofas, we all agree, but for people who make a living classifying, debates over what a "stool" really is creates ever sharpening definitions.

I actually argue about definitions all the time in my real life job. Maybe that's why this serves as a fun break.

A well formed definition means that much thought has gone into the meanings of the terms. Wars have been fought over meanings. Fortunes have been won and lost based on meanings.

True, but not all words have definitive meanings in isolation. Sometimes you need context to get to the actual meaning of a particular word in a particular situation.

Wait. I'm getting deja vu..... hang on. Is that sort of like, "healthy and unhealthy cannot be defined in isolation of a single food? It is the context of the overall diet that matters"? No, that can't be... ;)

That way lies madness. Next you'll be saying that people can eat Oreos (provided they're cleaned, kept in their natural state/aren't processed, don't come from a box, and are found on the outer edge of the grocery store) and can still lose weight....

zn5bdg6llc5z.jpg

Of course you realize, this means that we all must now try to fit 5 in to break the MFP record...

Challenge accepted.
  • juggernaut1974
    Options

zn5bdg6llc5z.jpg

Challenge accepted.

I just ate my last two red velvet ones before I saw this...

Oh dang...guess I need to make a trip to the store!
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options

zn5bdg6llc5z.jpg

K

21xpwwv9bmap.jpeg
  • ClosetBayesian
    ClosetBayesian Posts: 836 Member
    Options

zn5bdg6llc5z.jpg

K

21xpwwv9bmap.jpeg

/respect
  • CurlyCockney
    CurlyCockney Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    I want to know the missing words behind you!
  • Carlos_421
    Options

zn5bdg6llc5z.jpg

K

21xpwwv9bmap.jpeg

/respect

053259a3599bb3d64314d0bb62485683.jpg
  • Carlos_421
    Options
    I want to know the missing words behind you!

Lol I figured someone would.
    4xi53i4wnupj.jpg
  • CurlyCockney
    CurlyCockney Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    Hahaha thanks, that's so much cleaner (geddit??!!??) than what I imagined ;-)
  • Carlos_421
    Options
    Hahaha thanks, that's so much cleaner (geddit??!!??) than what I imagined ;-)

BA DUM chish!!!!
  • juggernaut1974
    Options

zn5bdg6llc5z.jpg

K

21xpwwv9bmap.jpeg

Dude you rock

I just grabbed some cinnamon bun ones and some "spring" ones (original flavor, but yellow creme). Will report back my findings
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options

zn5bdg6llc5z.jpg

One time I found a package of Oreo's on the outer edge of the grocery store, so does that mean it's clean? ;)
  • Carlos_421
    Options

zn5bdg6llc5z.jpg

K

21xpwwv9bmap.jpeg

Dude you rock

I just grabbed some cinnamon bun ones and some "spring" ones (original flavor, but yellow creme). Will report back my findings

Yellow cream reminds me of yellow snow. Yellow snow is natural.
    Thus spring Oreos = clean food.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry, but all posts about how much you can fit in your mouth are supposed to be in the Chit-Chat section.
  • juggernaut1974
    Options

zn5bdg6llc5z.jpg

K

21xpwwv9bmap.jpeg

Dude you rock

Yellow cream reminds me of yellow snow. Yellow snow is natural.
    Thus spring Oreos = clean food.

I can live with that
    senecarr wrote: »
    I'm sorry, but all posts about how much you can fit in your mouth are supposed to be in the Chit-Chat section.

10/10 would read again
  • Carlos_421
    Options
    senecarr wrote: »

I think five Oreos in my mouth is just as valid an argument about clean eating as half the others I've read on this thread.
  • FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    Options

Just don't grind them up.
  • Carlos_421
    edited February 2016
    Options

Just don't grind them up.

But can we soak em in milk? So long as we leave them whole?

And is milk clean? It's only natural for bovines to drink it.
    For that matter, is it natural (thus clean) for humans to eat any food created by/for a specific animal species? Honey is created by and for bees. Is it natural for humans to collect it and spread it on bread?
    Goat milk is created by mommy goats for baby goats. Is it natural for humans to drink what is intended for baby goats?
  • lorib642
    lorib642 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    I've noticed that butter and fat are no longer the bugaboos they once were. I wonder sometimes if this is because of food communities like this one.

This puts me in mind of an old Star Trek; The Next Generation episode. The episode, "Thine Own Self", was aired in 1994. The dietary zeitgeist of the time poked its head in:

According to tor.com:
    On Barkon, Garvin takes Data to a physician named Talur, who theorizes that he’s an “iceman,” a person from the snowy regions of the mountains (where no one has ever been, but there are stories). She diagnoses him with malnutrition and tells him to eat some meat, butter, and cheese and she’ll check back tomorrow.

Get it? The joke is that these were backwards peasants who would recommend the totally wrong foods. The doctor couldn't tell that he was an android! Everyone knew back in 1994 that you need to eat ten servings of whole grains, along with lots of fruits and vegetables, and avoid fat, to be healthy. What a silly backward recommendation that doctor made!

Yet here we are, 2 decades later, putting butter in our coffee and throwing coconut oil into everything.

Is it any wonder I question what "healthy" foods are?

OMG! "sleeper" was right :)