Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

What is clean eating?

Options

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    There's often a connection between grain feeding and the need to give antibiotics.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/meat/interviews/pollan.html
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    There's often a connection between grain feeding and the need to give antibiotics.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/meat/interviews/pollan.html

Would that make grain fed beef not clean?
  • lemurcat12
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I don't use the term "clean" in this context, as you know, but I do think grass fed is preferable, at least for my particular concerns. Grain fed and grass fed can both be done in better and worse ways, so I don't think it's possible to completely generalize.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Bry_Lander wrote: »
    jgnatca wrote: »
    @nikkimendez666 if you have followed the thread you must know your answer is full of holes. What is a "whole food"?

Eggs are whole but aren't plant-based.
    I imagine you'll allow grains and nuts to be shelled and hulled. How about grinding for flour? Is that much processing allowed in your plan?
    How about pressing olives for their oil?
    Drying grapes in to raisins?

If you eat only unprocessed "whole foods" could you eat a meal of hemp seeds, raisins, and broccoli as long as they weren't mixed together?

I don't think people consider applying physical force (crushing, mixing, shucking, grinding, pressing, etc.) to food as unacceptable processing, at least that is my interpretation. Unwanted processing to me is industrially injecting / mixing / treating food with chemicals to make them more profitable for corporations, ie, food coloring, preservatives mixed in a test tube, steroids, anti-biotics, hormones, etc., that don't add to the nutritional value of the food.

Aye, there's the rub, isn't it? We are dealing with many interpretations for the same idea. Hence my Venn diagram. Your use is dastardly difficult to define, as one must speak to motive.

What if a farmer's wife is doctoring her family's food in order to extend it's shelf-life, and thereby save the family money? The additives in her arsenal include salt, sugar, vinegar, gelatin, and pectin. If she mixes these ingredients in a bowl instead of a test-tube, does her final product become "clean"?

Take the lowly pickle. It has at least three of the preservatives mentioned above. None of the processing adds to the food's nutritional value; all it does is extend the shelf-life of the cucumber, saving the family money. Is a pickle dirty?
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    @nikkimendez666 if you have followed the thread you must know your answer is full of holes. What is a "whole food"?

I imagine you'll allow grains and nuts to be shelled and hulled. How about grinding for flour? Is that much processing allowed in your plan?

If you eat only unprocessed "whole foods" could you eat a meal of hemp seeds, raisins, and broccoli as long as they weren't mixed together?

I don't think people consider applying physical force (crushing, mixing, shucking, grinding, pressing, etc.) to food as unacceptable processing, at least that is my interpretation. Unwanted processing to me is industrially injecting / mixing / treating food with chemicals to make them more profitable for corporations, ie, food coloring, preservatives mixed in a test tube, steroids, anti-biotics, hormones, etc., that don't add to the nutritional value of the food.

Aye, there's the rub, isn't it? We are dealing with many interpretations for the same idea. Hence my Venn diagram. Your use is dastardly difficult to define, as one must speak to motive.

What if a farmer's wife is doctoring her family's food in order to extend it's shelf-life, and thereby save the family money? The additives in her arsenal include salt, sugar, vinegar, gelatin, and pectin. If she mixes these ingredients in a bowl instead of a test-tube, does her final product become "clean"?

Take the lowly pickle. It has at least three of the preservatives mentioned above. None of the processing adds to the food's nutritional value; all it does is extend the shelf-life of the cucumber, saving the family money. Is a pickle dirty?

Yes, it is tricky. Maybe the line is drawn between the processing that is inherent in the creation of the food, like a pickle, and the processing that is just a corporate strategy by companies that industrially create and distribute foods to increase profitability.

So perhaps it is analyzing what ingredients / processes that are required to make a pickle and balancing those against what ingredients / processes a company uses to mass produce pickles in an effort to minimize the cost of processing and maximize the product's shelf life. In most cases I would rather eat a home processed pickle from the farmer's wife's fridge that she grew and canned herself than one from the jar that rolled off the assembly line at Vlasic. The addition of Yellow #5 and Polysorbate 80 are not there to benefit my nutrition.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

Yes, it is tricky. Maybe the line is drawn between the processing that is inherent in the creation of the food, like a pickle, and the processing that is just a corporate strategy by companies that industrially create and distribute foods to increase profitability.

So perhaps it is analyzing what ingredients / processes that are required to make a pickle and balancing those against what ingredients / processes a company uses to mass produce pickles in an effort to minimize the cost of processing and maximize the product's shelf life. In most cases I would rather eat a home processed pickle from the farmer's wife's fridge that she grew and canned herself than one from the jar that rolled off the assembly line at Vlasic. The addition of Yellow #5 and Polysorbate 80 are not there to benefit my nutrition.

Home cooks frequently add ingredients that aren't there to benefit the nutritional value of the food. I'm not sure why a company doing this is worse or less "clean" than a home cook doing it.
  • lemurcat12
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I'm not against reading labels and learning about ingredients if one is unsure what they are/why they are there, but this is actually related to why I don't like the clean eating thing. Back when I was over-neurotic about food (from my current perspective), I'd do things like refuse to eat pickles unless I made them myself, but the truth is that my lifestyle is such that it's something of a hassle to make pickles (but yay for those of you who make them regularly, I always mean to start doing that and canning stuff and so on) and it was kind of silly to avoid eating perfectly good store-bought pickles just because in theory I wanted to be making them myself. It's also silly to feel that logging them is a failure and not living up to some standard.

I realize that for some you don't get all self-judgmental or neurotic about it, and that's great, but I worry that newbies get the message that their eating habits aren't good enough unless they cut out all such foods that really has nothing at all to do with weight loss (or, IMO, health/nutrition) and end up making the perfect the enemy of the good so it all just seems way more hard and time-consuming than it needs to be. Easy healthy or simply improving one's diet is much simpler and need not require a huge investment of time. I can whip up a dinner with lots of vegetables and some lean protein in a snap (and part of why I can do that is that I will live with relying on dried pasta or canned beans from time to time and not see that as some failure or lesser-than option vs what I should be doing).
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Options

Home cooks frequently add ingredients that aren't there to benefit the nutritional value of the food. I'm not sure why a company doing this is worse or less "clean" than a home cook doing it.
    I agree, taste is as big or a bigger priority than nutrition for a lot of people. That still doesn’t sell me on consuming Yellow #5 and Polysorbate 80.
    I'm not against reading labels and learning about ingredients if one is unsure what they are/why they are there, but this is actually related to why I don't like the clean eating thing. Back when I was over-neurotic about food (from my current perspective), I'd do things like refuse to eat pickles unless I made them myself, but the truth is that my lifestyle is such that it's something of a hassle to make pickles (but yay for those of you who make them regularly, I always mean to start doing that and canning stuff and so on) and it was kind of silly to avoid eating perfectly good store-bought pickles just because in theory I wanted to be making them myself. It's also silly to feel that logging them is a failure and not living up to some standard.

I realize that for some you don't get all self-judgmental or neurotic about it, and that's great, but I worry that newbies get the message that their eating habits aren't good enough unless they cut out all such foods that really has nothing at all to do with weight loss (or, IMO, health/nutrition) and end up making the perfect the enemy of the good so it all just seems way more hard and time-consuming than it needs to be. Easy healthy or simply improving one's diet is much simpler and need not require a huge investment of time. I can whip up a dinner with lots of vegetables and some lean protein in a snap (and part of why I can do that is that I will live with relying on dried pasta or canned beans from time to time and not see that as some failure or lesser-than option vs what I should be doing).
    I agree with all of this. Eating the perfect diet is aspirational, and completely unrealistic (in my life, anyways). I don’t have a jar of pickles made by a farmer’s wife in my fridge, I have Vlasic pickles, and I get my dose of food coloring and emulsifiers accordingly
    I would hope that the new people understand the failures that are inherent in attempting to eat a less-processed diet, and not get too discouraged at having to settle for what is readily available.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options

I think the only thing that would make a pickle dirty is getting dirt on it.

I think a pickle is less clean than a fresh cucumber. And a pickle that is naturally fermented is more clean than one that is not.
  • janejellyroll
    Options

I agree, taste is as big or a bigger priority than nutrition for a lot of people. That still doesn’t sell me on consuming Yellow #5 and Polysorbate 80.

I agree with all of this. Eating the perfect diet is aspirational, and completely unrealistic (in my life, anyways). I don’t have a jar of pickles made by a farmer’s wife in my fridge, I have Vlasic pickles, and I get my dose of food coloring and emulsifiers accordingly
    I would hope that the new people understand the failures that are inherent in attempting to eat a less-processed diet, and not get too discouraged at having to settle for what is readily available.

I'm not trying to sell you on consuming anything you don't want to consume. But I'm asking you what is the distinction between a company adding an ingredient to a food to enhance taste, appearance, or texture and a home cook doing the same? I don't see a meaningful difference.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options

I'm not trying to sell you on consuming anything you don't want to consume. But I'm asking you what is the distinction between a company adding an ingredient to a food to enhance taste, appearance, or texture and a home cook doing the same? I don't see a meaningful difference.

IMO it would matter more what the added ingredient is than why or by whom it was added.
  • janejellyroll
    Options

IMO it would matter more what the added ingredient is than why or by whom it was added.

I agree.
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Options

It is just a preference. Do you want mom's homemade bread with 6-7 ingredients or Subway's with 30+ ingredients? You can go down the list of ingredients that Subway adds and there is a purpose for each one (prolonging the shelf life, firmness, color, texture, etc.), but that doesn't inspire me to choose their bread over the homemade version. (And for the sensitive people out there, I'm not saying you are a bad person for eating at Subway, I have had their bread on countless occasions, so please don't be hurt by my criticism...)
  • janejellyroll
    Options

It is just a preference. Do you want mom's homemade bread with 6-7 ingredients or Subway's with 30+ ingredients? You can go down the list of ingredients that Subway adds and there is a purpose for each one (prolonging the shelf life, firmness, color, texture, etc.), but that doesn't inspire me to choose their bread over the homemade version. (And for the sensitive people out there, I'm not saying you are a bad person for eating at Subway, I have had their bread on countless occasions, so please don't be hurt by my criticism...)

Whether it's Mom's bread or Subway's bread is irrelevant to me. The number of ingredients is irrelevant to me. I would make the decision based on the ingredients themselves, sure. But *who* is making the bread and the number of things they put in it, I don't consider those relevant datapoints.

I've made foods with dozens of ingredients and the results were tasty and healthful. I've had foods with few ingredients that were awful (and not that nutritious). I've had amazing food made by companies and terrible food made by individuals.

I'm not arguing with the fact that you have priorities. We all have priorities for choosing food. I just don't understand the distinction between "Mom's food" and "food made by a company."
  • jgnatca
    Options
    So, @Need2Exerc1se , you distinguish between "not clean" and "dirty", equating a pickle as clean but not as clean as a fresh cucumber. Am I correct from this that you don't use the term "dirty" to food?

A sliding scale of cleanliness in your case more related to it's natural origins than to anything else. I see you equate naturally occurring vinegar as cleaner than 100% proof vinegar from the factory (5% acetic acid in water). Naturally occurring vinegar can be contaminated with the byproduct of less than beneficial bacteria of course.

I on the other hand, trust the industrial distillation process and would consider the distilled vinegar to be cleaner and more safe.
  • jgnatca
    Options

What is the difference in economy on the farm with economy on an industrial scale? If a preservative is commonly used in the kitchen to preserve food, how is it any less healthy to use the same technique by industry?
  • Need2Exerc1se
    edited February 2016
    Options
    So, @Need2Exerc1se , you distinguish between "not clean" and "dirty", equating a pickle as clean but not as clean as a fresh cucumber. Am I correct from this that you don't use the term "dirty" to food?

A sliding scale of cleanliness in your case more related to it's natural origins than to anything else. I see you equate naturally occurring vinegar as cleaner than 100% proof vinegar from the factory (5% acetic acid in water). Naturally occurring vinegar can be contaminated with the byproduct of less than beneficial bacteria of course.

I on the other hand, trust the industrial distillation process and would consider the distilled vinegar to be cleaner and more safe.

Correct, how natural the food is equates to how clean it is in the definition I've always known for "clean eating". And with that definition I don't know how it could be anything but a sliding scale. I imagine the definition's origin had something to do with trust and safety but can't say for sure since it didn't originate with me.

I'd never heard anyone call food that didn't actually have dirt on it 'dirty' or 'unclean' before I joined MFP.
  • jgnatca
    Options
    Funny you should mention bread, @Bry_Lander . I have scoured the ingredient lists of foods like Wonder Bread and Cheez Whiz to wangle out their magic ingredients. It seemed no matter how well I duplicated store-bought foods my family craved the factory product. Magic industrial ingredients I have incorporated in to my home baking include Xanthan Gum for my bread (soft and fluffy) and mustard for my cheese sauce (zing).
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    No such thing.

^^ Agree with this, everything you eat is processed in some way.

Calories in, calories out, all things in moderation, portion control, and common sense.

• senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options

So Vladimir Von Oreo made under communism is cleaner than capitalist Oreo? I'm not seeing why corporatism and profit motive matter in how clean a food is.
    Most people consider raw organic produce rather clean but most of it reaches people via chains of large corporations. Indeed, advertising the concept of clean and natural is a corporate strategy in itself.