Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

What is clean eating?

Options

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Why is that magazine the arbiter of what is clean eating? There are many different definitions, and the term was used before the magazine (in various different ways).
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Why is that magazine the arbiter of what is clean eating? There are many different definitions, and the term was used before the magazine (in various different ways).

i checked out the website and found this gem:

Eat five to six times a day
    Three meals and two to three small snacks. Include a lean protein, plenty of fresh fruit and vegetables, and a complex carbohydrate with each meal. The steady intake of clean food keeps your body energized and burning calories efficiently all day long

so it is basically a bunch of woo woo and fitness myth combined into one easy to use site to make money off of people that have been duped...
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

i checked out the website and found this gem:

Eat five to six times a day
    Three meals and two to three small snacks. Include a lean protein, plenty of fresh fruit and vegetables, and a complex carbohydrate with each meal. The steady intake of clean food keeps your body energized and burning calories efficiently all day long

so it is basically a bunch of woo woo and fitness myth combined into one easy to use site to make money off of people that have been duped...
    BOOM!
    drops mic...
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    dcc56 wrote: »
    There is a magazine called Clean Eating that is a pretty good publication. Google it. There you will find all you every wanted to know about this topic. Good luck.

You will find what you want to know about what the publishers want you to think. I bet the term clean eating was around LONG before that magazine.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    dcc56 wrote: »
    There is a magazine called Clean Eating that is a pretty good publication. Google it. There you will find all you every wanted to know about this topic. Good luck.

What is the definition that they provide?
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Panera Bread's new clean eating campaign has a list of over 150 "No No Foods." Including but not limited to:

5549107d9991f.preview.jpg?resize=620%2C803
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Panera Bread's new clean eating campaign has a list of over 150 "No No Foods." Including but not limited to:

FFS. So I guess they won't serve coffee anymore because "caffeine" or are they just eliminating sodas with caffeine? That list hit me as awfully silly.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options

FFS. So I guess they won't serve coffee anymore because "caffeine" or are they just eliminating sodas with caffeine? That list hit me as awfully silly.

I imagine it only applies to food items and not drinks. They'll probably even still have HFCS in their sodas too.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    I've been wondering what they plan to do with their beverages - since Aspartame is on the "no" list and I can't imagine them not serving Diet Pepsi. (although I personally think DP is vile compared to Diet Coke so I order water at Panera - I'm clean like that).

I also am going to start telling people when they ask what "clean eating" is that it is chocolate chipper cookies and vanilla lattes since that's what I get when I go to Panera...
  • annaskiski
    annaskiski Posts: 1,212 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    I've been wondering what they plan to do with their beverages - since Aspartame is on the "no" list and I can't imagine them not serving Diet Pepsi. (although I personally think DP is vile compared to Diet Coke so I order water at Panera - I'm clean like that).

Finally a definition of 'clean' I can get behind!

Diet Pepsi is definitely vile and 'dirty'.
    I only drink clean Diet Coke...

• WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    annaskiski wrote: »
    WinoGelato wrote: »

Finally a definition of 'clean' I can get behind!

Diet Pepsi is definitely vile and 'dirty'.
    I only drink clean Diet Coke...

enhanced-buzz-25151-1367346258-0.jpg
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options

This Panera campaign amuses me. I would think lard would be considered "clean", but what do I know?

I'd also be very surprised if they don't keep aspartame or sucralose in their beverages, including coffee sweeteners.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    Also:
    okNmxmi.png
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    bruhaha007 wrote: »
    Try to avoid the inside aisles of the grocery store on shop on the edges. That is where the "cleaner" food hangs out so I am told.
    There's cakes near the produce on one outer edge, and icecream, booze and soda on the other outer edge of our supermarket (IGA).

Oh, I'm loving this clean eating thing!!
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    Tomk652015 wrote: »
    For me, those foods that promote the improvement and/or help to maintain you good vital health markers, such as cholesterol, sugar, blood pressure, triglycerides etc etc. obviously its darn near impossible unless you in the Alaskan wilderness and off the grid gathering and/or growing your own foods organically clean eating will have varying degrees.

Here's the kicker - I improved all my health markers and have excellent blood work panels now, including getting a high glucose number stabilized into the 80s, and my diet is pretty much the opposite of the list in the OP.

I've actually had a few of the hard core 'clean' eating advocates on MFP call me a liar, because they cannot wrap their brains around the fact that I've defied their idea of 'clean/healthy' eating, but yet have had amazing success. And I'm definitely not the only one. MFP is full of people who've been successful in their health and weight goals while eating 'dirty'. It's frustrating, but it is what it is.

+1, because you can't fight faith with facts...
  • ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options

Good for them taking the initiative on that.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

That they color-code the artificial sweeteners commonly used in diet soda as "Not in our food today" makes me think that drinks are specifically excluded from this campaign. I'm fine with that (I drink diet soda), but if that item is so inappropriate for food, why is it okay for drinks?

• annaskiski
    annaskiski Posts: 1,212 Member
    Options
    Tomk652015 wrote: »
    For me, those foods that promote the improvement and/or help to maintain you good vital health markers, such as cholesterol, sugar, blood pressure, triglycerides etc etc. obviously its darn near impossible unless you in the Alaskan wilderness and off the grid gathering and/or growing your own foods organically clean eating will have varying degrees.

Here's the kicker - I improved all my health markers and have excellent blood work panels now, including getting a high glucose number stabilized into the 80s, and my diet is pretty much the opposite of the list in the OP.

I've actually had a few of the hard core 'clean' eating advocates on MFP call me a liar, because they cannot wrap their brains around the fact that I've defied their idea of 'clean/healthy' eating, but yet have had amazing success. And I'm definitely not the only one. MFP is full of people who've been successful in their health and weight goals while eating 'dirty'. It's frustrating, but it is what it is.

The professor on the 'twinkie' diet did as well. People don't want to believe that losing weight does far more for your health than eating 'clean'.
  • ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options

That they color-code the artificial sweeteners commonly used in diet soda as "Not in our food today" makes me think that drinks are specifically excluded from this campaign. I'm fine with that (I drink diet soda), but if that item is so inappropriate for food, why is it okay for drinks?
    IMO it shouldn't be OK for drinks either.