Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

What is clean eating?

Options

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    sullus wrote: »
    Now here's a question. I like fries.
    I buy frozen, noname brand, packaged fries in a bag with barcode and everything. -> Definitely processed food, no doubt about it.
    They only have 2 ingredients though: potatoes and sunflower oil. -> Nothing you can't pronounce and not exceeding the magical 4 ingredients.

Clean or not?
    I'd bet you a tenner if we asked 100 clean eaters without each knowing what the others said, the answers would be split almost 50/50.

I go with a similar example on Cape Cod potato chips and Fritos. Each is as close to nature as possible (washed, sliced/ground and cooked), has only 3 ingredients which can be pronounced (chips: Potatoes, sunflower oil, salt; Fritos: Corn, corn oil, salt)

They both meet nearly every definition proposed above (can't meet them all because some are contradictory)

Sure they both have an added chemical preservative (salt). But it seems like the clean eating people are cool with that one chemical preservative.

Fritos are pretty far from the natural state of corn.

Because they're ground?

Does that mean that corn tortillas aren't "clean"? What about polenta?

Or is it something else?

Yes, because they are ground. Technically, shucked, decobbed (or whatever you call removing the kernels from the cob) and ground. I don't see how tortillas any different, polenta maybe a little cleaner as a single food.

Would all ground foods be unclean or is this specific to corn?

I'm not overly comfortable with the term 'unclean' when it comes to food. I'm old school and never heard it described as anything other clean in varying degrees (clean, sort of clean, not clean, stuff like that). And there is plenty of room for argument even amongst those that share my definition as it's not a black and white type definition. Lots of gray.

But to me, no. Ground foods would not be clean. Those ground with the bran and germ included would cleaner than those with it removed. Those with it removed that are then bleached (e.g. white flour) are not clean.

I understand you're not comfortable with it, but if certain foods are clean, what would you call the rest? "Not clean" doesn't seem that different from "unclean."

But I don't want to get on a tangent with the "unclean" thing.

You would consider almond butter, ground beef (let's say it's grass-fed for good measure), coffee, pepper, and oat milk (made from ground oats) to be "not clean" foods?

What if you grind the beef yourself?

What if bees grind it?

My bees aren't that well trained yet, but I'm working on it! ;-)
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I buy frozen, noname brand, packaged fries in a bag with barcode and everything. -> Definitely processed food, no doubt about it.
    They only have 2 ingredients though: potatoes and sunflower oil. -> Nothing you can't pronounce and not exceeding the magical 4 ingredients.

Clean or not?
    I'd bet you a tenner if we asked 100 clean eaters without each knowing what the others said, the answers would be split almost 50/50.

I go with a similar example on Cape Cod potato chips and Fritos. Each is as close to nature as possible (washed, sliced/ground and cooked), has only 3 ingredients which can be pronounced (chips: Potatoes, sunflower oil, salt; Fritos: Corn, corn oil, salt)

They both meet nearly every definition proposed above (can't meet them all because some are contradictory)

Sure they both have an added chemical preservative (salt). But it seems like the clean eating people are cool with that one chemical preservative.

Because they're ground?

Or is it something else?

Yes, because they are ground. Technically, shucked, decobbed (or whatever you call removing the kernels from the cob) and ground. I don't see how tortillas any different, polenta maybe a little cleaner as a single food.

I'm not overly comfortable with the term 'unclean' when it comes to food. I'm old school and never heard it described as anything other clean in varying degrees (clean, sort of clean, not clean, stuff like that). And there is plenty of room for argument even amongst those that share my definition as it's not a black and white type definition. Lots of gray.

But to me, no. Ground foods would not be clean. Those ground with the bran and germ included would cleaner than those with it removed. Those with it removed that are then bleached (e.g. white flour) are not clean.

I understand you're not comfortable with it, but if certain foods are clean, what would you call the rest? "Not clean" doesn't seem that different from "unclean."

But I don't want to get on a tangent with the "unclean" thing.

You would consider almond butter, ground beef (let's say it's grass-fed for good measure), coffee, pepper, and oat milk (made from ground oats) to be "not clean" foods?

What if you grind the beef yourself?

The concept that something is "clean" if I prepare it myself but "not clean" if I pay someone else to prepare it for me is bizarre. But I'm going to guess that there are at least some people who might adopt that standard.
  • janejellyroll
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    zyxst wrote: »
    Another one that really gets me is the honey vs high fructose corn syrup debate ... one is awesome and clean and great for you, and the other is the processed scourge of the earth, killing us all.

But they're nearly the same thing. Their Glucose to Fructose ratios are quite similar and they act the same way in the body.

They're both made pretty much the same way too. Both start with sugar water from plants, add enzymes to convert about 45% of the sugar to fructose, evaporate until sticky.

Considering how honey is produced by bees, it's definitely not "clean" (unless eating bee puke is on the Okay to Eat list).

Raw honey is natural, HFCS is not. So one is clean and the other is not.

They're made the same way.

Um, no I don't think so. What kind of bees make HFCS?

oh. You care whether humans or bees made it.

Either way, it's sugar water + enzymes + time.

Why is something natural when a bee makes it and unnatural when a human makes it?

I guess we can add "If it is made by an insect or animal, it's clean and if it is made by a human, it isn't" to the list of clean/not clean attributes.

Unless the human is you and you make it at home, maybe? Or you watch someone else make it?

So maybe if one was to grow and grind their own corn at home and make Fritos out of it, Fritos would be "clean". But not if another human or <gasp, heaven forbid> humans who work at a company made them!

Seems legit.

I'm going to guess that for some people if the company is "Frito Lay" then it isn't clean, but if it is a small, local company, then it is clean. Yet another layer of distinction I've seen in the forums -- that local foods are somehow cleaner than non-local foods and that foods made by smaller companies are cleaner than foods made by larger ones.
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    I've always tried to keep it just to people who identify as clean eaters (though I'm sure it's gotten fuzzy and there are some that are defending clean eating while not following it in there) and I try to keep things that appear to be partial definitions off the list (so "clean = natural" from above wouldn't make the list since including it would strip the context of the post). But again, everything's gotten a little fuzzy.

You know, I'm not sure if I've never seen "eat only things our ancestors would recognize" specifically equated with clean eating or if I just assumed it was up there and never added it. I'm going to have to ponder that (and maybe do a little searching).

It's one of the principles (and the biggest pseudoscientific fallacy) of Paleo/ancestral diets.

But in the more general "clean eating" context it usually means our grandparents or great-grandparents or some such.

Which is then clarified to mean them in their youth.

And then often, weirdly, used to say that flour and sugar should be banned.
  • Heartisalonelyhunter
    Options
    Well, I might as well do something with this list and the new debate forums seems as good a place as any for it.

Once upon a time, I was under the belief that clean eating had a simple definition. It was cooking from scratch using as simple ingredients as possible.

MFP has disillusioned me of that idea.

Here on MFP I've seen clean eating defined in a few different ways. These are all answers given by users when asked what clean eating is. Some of them have been formatted to fit the list better, but many of them are copy/pasted directly from their original posts. Be sure to read to the end, where things really start to diverge.
    • Nothing but minimally processed foods.
    • Absolutely no processed foods.
    • Shop only the outside of the grocery store.
    • Nothing out of a box, jar, or can.
    • Only food that's not in a box or hermetically sealed bag, or from e.g. McDonald's.
    • No take-out or junk food at all.
    • Nothing at all with a barcode.
    • Nothing with more than 5 ingredients.
    • Nothing with more than 4 ingredients.
    • Nothing with more than 3 ingredients.
    • Nothing with more than 1 ingredient.
    • No added preservatives.
    • No added chemicals.
    • No chemicals, preservatives, etc. at all.
    • No ingredients that you can't pronounce.
    • No ingredients that sound like they came out of a chemistry book.
    • Nothing that is processed and comes in a package or wrapper, or has any ingredient that sounds scientific.
    • Don't eat products that have a TV commercial.
    • Don't eat foods that have a mascot.
    • If it grows or had a mother, it is ok to eat it.
    • Don't eat products that have a longer shelf life than you do.
    • Eat "food" and not "food-like substances."
    • No added sugar.
    • No added refined sugar.
    • Swap white sugar for brown.
    • No "white" foods.
    • Nothing but lean meats, fruits, and vegetables.
    • Nothing but lean meats, fruits, vegetables, and beans.
    • A plant-based whole food diet.
    • Eat foods as close to their natural state as POSSIBLE, and little to no processed food.
    • Only meat from grass-fed animals and free-range chickens.
    • Only pesticide-free foods.
    • Nothing that causes your body bloat or inflammation.
    • No trigger foods, nothing from fast food chains, nothing in the junk food aisles, and no high gmo foods.
    • No red meat, no sweets, no pasta, no alcohol, no bread, no soda, nothing but fresh fruits and vegetables, complex carbohydrates and lean proteins.
    • Eat a plant based diet consisting of whole plant foods.
    • No bad carbs and processed foods.
    • Anything that makes a better choice.
    • Not cheating on whatever diet you are on.
    • Any food that doesn't make it difficult to hit your macro/micro targets.
    • Clean eating means eating optimally.

I like to note that under some of those definitions, Fritos are a clean food (only 3 ingredients). Under some of them, eggs and pistachios are not.

So what is clean eating? And is it a useful descriptor at all?

Since there's been some confusion on other threads, I want to note that this is on the Nutrition Debate board. So it's going to be, you know, a debate. Bring your opinions. Bring your dictionaries. Bring your studies. But if you don't want people to respond to your posts with questions or rebuttals, this might not be the board for you.

I don't know why people argue about this so much on this board. Everywhere else I post agrees that clean eating is only eating foods you could grow/prepare yourself. ypu don't have to do it yourself, you can buy them,but they can't require a laboratory or ingredients you can't buy in a grocery store. So butter is clean (because you could get milk and churn it yourself if you had the time) but margarine isn't because you couldn't make it in your kitchen. Likewise peanut butter made from peanuts and salt is clean. Protein powder isn't. It's pretty obvious really
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    Well, I might as well do something with this list and the new debate forums seems as good a place as any for it.

Once upon a time, I was under the belief that clean eating had a simple definition. It was cooking from scratch using as simple ingredients as possible.

Here on MFP I've seen clean eating defined in a few different ways. These are all answers given by users when asked what clean eating is. Some of them have been formatted to fit the list better, but many of them are copy/pasted directly from their original posts. Be sure to read to the end, where things really start to diverge.
    • Only food that's not in a box or hermetically sealed bag, or from e.g. McDonald's.
    • No added chemicals.
    • Nothing that is processed and comes in a package or wrapper, or has any ingredient that sounds scientific.
    • No added sugar.
    • No "white" foods.
    • Eat foods as close to their natural state as POSSIBLE, and little to no processed food.
    • No trigger foods, nothing from fast food chains, nothing in the junk food aisles, and no high gmo foods.
    • No red meat, no sweets, no pasta, no alcohol, no bread, no soda, nothing but fresh fruits and vegetables, complex carbohydrates and lean proteins.

I like to note that under some of those definitions, Fritos are a clean food (only 3 ingredients). Under some of them, eggs and pistachios are not.

Since there's been some confusion on other threads, I want to note that this is on the Nutrition Debate board. So it's going to be, you know, a debate. Bring your opinions. Bring your dictionaries. Bring your studies. But if you don't want people to respond to your posts with questions or rebuttals, this might not be the board for you.

I don't know why people argue about this so much on this board. Everywhere else I post agrees that clean eating is only eating foods you could grow/prepare yourself. ypu don't have to do it yourself, you can buy them,but they can't require a laboratory or ingredients you can't buy in a grocery store. So butter is clean (because you could get milk and churn it yourself if you had the time) but margarine isn't because you couldn't make it in your kitchen. Likewise peanut butter made from peanuts and salt is clean. Protein powder isn't. It's pretty obvious really

What if you are a chemist?

But seriously, under this definition chips and ice cream and french fries and bread and pasta and ground beef would all be clean, and many people on these boards have asserted that they are not.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Another one that really gets me is the honey vs high fructose corn syrup debate ... one is awesome and clean and great for you, and the other is the processed scourge of the earth, killing us all.

But they're nearly the same thing. Their Glucose to Fructose ratios are quite similar and they act the same way in the body.

They're both made pretty much the same way too. Both start with sugar water from plants, add enzymes to convert about 45% of the sugar to fructose, evaporate until sticky.

Considering how honey is produced by bees, it's definitely not "clean" (unless eating bee puke is on the Okay to Eat list).

Why is something natural when a bee makes it and unnatural when a human makes it?

I guess we can add "If it is made by an insect or animal, it's clean and if it is made by a human, it isn't" to the list of clean/not clean attributes.

Unless the human is you and you make it at home, maybe? Or you watch someone else make it?

So maybe if one was to grow and grind their own corn at home and make Fritos out of it, Fritos would be "clean". But not if another human or <gasp, heaven forbid> humans who work at a company made them!

Seems legit.

I'm going to guess that for some people if the company is "Frito Lay" then it isn't clean, but if it is a small, local company, then it is clean. Yet another layer of distinction I've seen in the forums -- that local foods are somehow cleaner than non-local foods and that foods made by smaller companies are cleaner than foods made by larger ones.

But, I'm from Plano, where Frito Lay is headquartered. I'm now confused. When I go home to visit my parents, is it clean, but when I'm home in Houston it's unclean?
  • janejellyroll
    Options

• No added chemicals.
    • No added sugar.
    • No "white" foods.

Everyone in this *thread* doesn't agree with your definition. We've got people arguing that ground foods (like polenta and peanut butter and ground beef) aren't clean. And I've seen people argue that dairy isn't clean.

Your definitions may be obvious to you, but they aren't universal. Plenty of those who think they are eating clean disagree with you.
  • Heartisalonelyhunter
    Options

• No added chemicals.
    • No added sugar.
    • No "white" foods.

But seriously, under this definition chips and ice cream and french fries and bread and pasta and ground beef would all be clean, and many people on these boards have asserted that they are not.

I know they have asserted it but meh. Those things are all clean to me in certain circumstances (French fries would have to be fried in lard, for instance)
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options

Everyone in this *thread* doesn't agree with your definition. We've got people arguing that ground foods (like polenta and peanut butter and ground beef) aren't clean. And I've seen people argue that dairy isn't clean.

Your definitions may be obvious to you, but they aren't universal. Plenty of those who think they are eating clean disagree with you.

Vegans don't consider butter "clean".

Paleo dieters don't consider peanuts "clean".

Whelp. There goes another arbitrary definition of "clean eating" out the window.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options

Clean or not?

Because they're ground?

Or is it something else?

That's part of the debate we're playing with here. Too many people look at clean/unclean as a binary decision. I agree with you that it's not; it is a continuum. Take Strawberries:

Wild strawberry picked and eaten in a field
    Farm-raised strawberry picked and eaten in a field.
    Farm-raised strawberry picked by machine, washed, and boxed for sale.
    Farm-raised strawberry picked by machine, washed, sliced, frozen, and boxed for sale.
    Farm-raised strawberry picked by machine, washed, sliced, mixed with a little sugar, frozen, and boxed for sale.
    Farm raised strawberry processed into strawberry preserves ...

etc. (I got tired of typing)

Oh, I get it. The ones eaten in a field are dirty because they haven't been washed yet!

Or...oh...that's not what you meant?

So then at what point did they start getting unclean? When they were sliced or when they were smooshed up for preserves?

Or maybe this is all just a silly construct and none of the strawberries you describe are any cleaner than the other.
  • Carlos_421
    Options

So if a bug makes it then it's clean but if a person makes it then it's unclean?

Brilliant.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options

• No added chemicals.
    • No added sugar.
    • No "white" foods.

I know they have asserted it but meh. Those things are all clean to me in certain circumstances (French fries would have to be fried in lard, for instance)

That's kind of the point of this thread.

If people can't agree on the basics, is it a useful label or a useful piece of advice?
  • janejellyroll
    Options

• No added chemicals.
    • No added sugar.
    • No "white" foods.

So you would reject the majority of the definitions on the list posted in favor of your definition (only eating foods you can grow and prepare yourself). But surely you realize that different people use different definitions, right?

Someone who defines "clean" as organic food may reject your lard-fried french fries because the pork wasn't organic. Someone who defines "clean" as plant-based may reject your lard-friend french fries because they have lard. Someone who defines "clean" as optimal eating (as someone did, in this very thread) may reject them because the macros aren't in their definition of optimal. Someone who doesn't eat products that have a TV commercial would reject them due to the ad campaigns for pork and Idaho potatoes. And it goes on and on.

You can -- with your definition of clean -- figure out a way to eat fries. But it's far from obvious that your definition is the only one.
  • janejellyroll
    edited February 2016
    Options
    auddii wrote: »

Seems legit.

But, I'm from Plano, where Frito Lay is headquartered. I'm now confused. When I go home to visit my parents, is it clean, but when I'm home in Houston it's unclean?

Y. . . yes?

Yes. We'll go with yes.
  • Heartisalonelyhunter
    Options

Vegans don't consider butter "clean".

Paleo dieters don't consider peanuts "clean".

Whelp. There goes another arbitrary definition of "clean eating" out the window.

No vegans don't consider butter vegan. And paleo eaters don't consider peanuts paleo. That's an additional dietary restriction.

OP I see your point but as I said the pointless arguments about clean only seem to happen on this board because people seem to take it personally that some people don't want to eat artificial ingredients. Everywhere else I post that is the standard.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options

You read my mind. I bought some beef today, and I started to wonder if it would be clean, because I got the butcher to cut it into pieces for me. But I realized that has to be OK, because I watched him closely as he did it.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options

• No added chemicals.
    • No added sugar.
    • No "white" foods.

Wait, lard is acceptable, but oil is not. Does pressing things make them unclean?

NOW WE'RE LOSING WINE TOO?! You people are monsters.
  • Carlos_421
    Options
    No such thing.

And the prize for the most useful comment of the day..

Oh wait did I say useful I meant useless.

Giving yourself trophies?
  • Carlos_421
    Options

Clean or not?

I could see that. It rides a fine line with my familiarity with the term clean. I'd say it's not totally clean but it's cleaner than most packaged fries.

Based on what criteria?