Half Marathon in a month

Options
So I am supposed to run a half marathon on March 12th and my training hasn't been so great. I have been much more focused on my weights and HIIT than long distance. What is the best way to build up to this mileage rather quickly? I can run 5 miles at a 9 min mile right now. Looking for some suggestions.

Also as a side note, I am not necessarily 'new' to running. I've done 2 half marathons and a Spartan beast before, I just took a bit too long of time away from long distance running and endurance training.

Replies

• runsonrabbitfood
    runsonrabbitfood Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I usually use the Hal Higdon training programs. They're free and have worked for me. They're about 12 weeks long though.

Most suggest not amping up mileage quickly. It can increase your chances of injury and of not having a fun time in general. If you still really want to, I'd suggest really taking extra care and attention to how you feel. There's also nothing wrong with run/walking a half.
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options
    A month away? It's probably too late to adequately train for this half if 5 miles is your current longest run.

Is there a time limit on the half? If you can walk/jog you can probably train to complete it assuming there's no time limit. If you need to train up to 'running' 13 miles in a month you probably won't.

I don't think it's a good idea to increase your long run by more than 1 mile per week. So you might be able to get up to 9 mile long run by a month from now assuming you don't get injured. You could probably walk/jog the rest and be fine. But the problem is, your fitness for races is actually based on what you did 3 weeks ago. So your fitness for this half is really going to be based on what your workouts are next week.

I was training for a half a couple years ago, didn't run for a couple weeks and didn't feel like I adequately prepared. I did not run it and I think it was a good decision. I would have struggled to complete in the time limit. There will always be more races to run in the future. Is there any chance there's a 10k part of the same race that you could drop down to?
  • aub6689
    aub6689 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    A month away? It's probably too late to adequately train for this half if 5 miles is your current longest run.

Is there a time limit on the half? If you can walk/jog you can probably train to complete it assuming there's no time limit. If you need to train up to 'running' 13 miles in a month you probably won't.

I don't think it's a good idea to increase your long run by more than 1 mile per week. So you might be able to get up to 9 mile long run by a month from now assuming you don't get injured. You could probably walk/jog the rest and be fine. But the problem is, your fitness for races is actually based on what you did 3 weeks ago. So your fitness for this half is really going to be based on what your workouts are next week.

I was training for a half a couple years ago, didn't run for a couple weeks and didn't feel like I adequately prepared. I did not run it and I think it was a good decision. I would have struggled to complete in the time limit. There will always be more races to run in the future. Is there any chance there's a 10k part of the same race that you could drop down to?

There is a time limit, but there are people doing a full marathon, so I have plenty of time. I don't believe I can work up to running the full 13 miles easily or without some jogging/walking. I am just looking for tips on the best way to build my endurance in a shorter amount of time.

My 5 mile run was the best time, but I did an 8 mile run last weekend at a much slower pace. I did not suffer from any muscle soreness after these runs, so I think my legs can handle it, just the rest of my body is struggling.

I don't think I can drop down to 10k and don't want to eat the money, so even if it isn't pretty, I will be doing it.

• ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    Short of going back in time?

add a mile to your long run every week. Back off to 8 miles the Sunday before. Don't do anything crazy. Go slow and don't worry about pace. People jump into these things a lot more untrained all the time. Its not recommended, and its probably not going to be fun, but you'll most likely get across the finish line

But wait, your long run is already 8 miles? Get up to 10 or 11. You'll finish.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    aub6689 wrote: »

There is a time limit, but there are people doing a full marathon, so I have plenty of time. I don't believe I can work up to running the full 13 miles easily or without some jogging/walking. I am just looking for tips on the best way to build my endurance in a shorter amount of time.

My 5 mile run was the best time, but I did an 8 mile run last weekend at a much slower pace. I did not suffer from any muscle soreness after these runs, so I think my legs can handle it, just the rest of my body is struggling.

I don't think I can drop down to 10k and don't want to eat the money, so even if it isn't pretty, I will be doing it.

In that case, since there really isn't anything meaningful you can do to adequately prepare for it, the best use of your time is to have your house in order so you don't have anything to do for the days after so you can focus on recovery/rehab from this ill-advised run.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options

So then your 13.1 mile run will be at an even slower pace.

Just embrace the ugliness.

ETA: Also do what ThickMcRunFast says.
  • Aed0416
    Aed0416 Posts: 101 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    If you did 8 last weekend you may be able to do the half. But it probably won't be pleasant. It also may have an impact on your weight training and that may be more important to you than losing out on the race fee. I would really encourage you into trying to drop down to the 10k. Running a race you undertrained for an even worse a DNF feels terrible, absolutely awful.
  • aub6689
    Options
    Aed0416 wrote: »
    I don't know if you can do it effectively and safely. I' running a half on the 6th and will be starting to taper after my last long run this Saturday. If I were in your shoes I would try to work up to a 10k prior to the race and then on your race day run the first half and walk the second. The race may even offer a 10k event and they may let you switch.

Isn't a 10k only 6 miles?
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    I don't know if you can do it effectively and safely. I' running a half on the 6th and will be starting to taper after my last long run this Saturday. If I were in your shoes I would try to work up to a 10k prior to the race and then on your race day run the first half and walk the second. The race may even offer a 10k event and they may let you switch.

Isn't a 10k only 6 miles?

6.2 miles. Don't forget to train for that last 321 meters.
  • Aed0416
    Aed0416 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Whoops yes, I had edited my post since, your last reply.
  • DYELB
    DYELB Posts: 7,407 Member
    Options

add a mile to your long run every week. Back off to 8 miles the Sunday before. Don't do anything crazy. Go slow and don't worry about pace. People jump into these things a lot more untrained all the time. Its not recommended, and its probably not going to be fun, but you'll most likely get across the finish line

B*tch thinks she knows everything cause she's run a couple ultras. Don't listen to her.

You need to go low-carb Paleo. It'll condition your body to go keto more readily and will help to avoid bonking on the second half.

Also you're going to want to keep sodium at an absolute minimum and work up to triple your normal water intake the week before your race. Sodium dehydrates you, and the last thing you want on a long run is dehydration.

Also make sure your foot strike is in check to avoid shin splints. Ideal stride varies based on your body type, but for the vast majority of people a solid mid foot strike is the key to success in this regard.

Good luck to you!
  • aub6689
    Options
    If you did 8 last weekend you may be able to do the half. But it probably won't be pleasant. It also may have an impact on your weight training and that may be more important to you than losing out on the race fee. I would really encourage you into trying to drop down to the 10k. Running a race you undertrained for an even worse a DNF feels terrible, absolutely awful.

DNF?
  • runsonrabbitfood
    Options

DNF?

Did not finish. As in you enter the event, but cannot for whatever reason complete it.
  • aub6689
    Options

DNF?

Did not finish. As in you enter the event, but cannot for whatever reason complete it.

Oh. That isn't happening. I am stubborn and I know I can do it. I just want to do whatever I can to maximize my last few weeks of training.

• UG77
    UG77 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    DNF ~ Did Not Finish. I'm guessing.

Really digging the, "I'm doing it anyway" attitude.

Do you have just 1 day per week where you have your "long run" ? If so, for the next two weeks have that run be 10 miles. Your other runs during the week can be shorter. For the 10 miler nice and easy. You're not trying to win the half marathon, so don't injure yourself. The last week before the half marathon you're probably going to want to ease up a bit, only run 8 miles on your long day.

To me you're already running long enough distances to push to 13, so you should be fine. You're running it to finish it and you should be able to do that without any issues. When I trained for the Marine Corps Marathon I ramped up from 6 - 8 mile long runs directly to 13 milers without intermediate steps, but I was pretty much a running machine back then.
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    @aub6689 With basically only 3 weeks left until the HM you are in for a struggle.
    Not sure if you have been doing any long runs or Hill repeats in the recent past?
    You could try the Hal Higdon training programs that @herbivorinator mentioned . Since they are about 12 weeks long and you only have about 3 weeks until the HM you could try starting at the 9 week point and see if you can get through that week. The biggest thing is don't push it and risk an injury that could keep you on the bench. I was doing a full HM distance twice a month in my Training plan but at a slower pace 2hr:40m versus 2hr:12m for my last race.
    If you can't complete the week 9 rather than risk an injury consider dropping down to the 10km distance.
  • cw106
    cw106 Posts: 952 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    DYELB wrote: »

agree.good advice.

B*tch thinks she knows everything cause she's run a couple ultras. Don't listen to her.

rude and uncalled for!

You need to go low-carb Paleo. It'll condition your body to go keto more readily and will help to avoid bonking on the second half.

Also you're going to want to keep sodium at an absolute minimum and work up to triple your normal water intake the week before your race. Sodium dehydrates you, and the last thing you want on a long run is dehydration.

Also make sure your foot strike is in check to avoid shin splints. Ideal stride varies based on your body type, but for the vast majority of people a solid mid foot strike is the key to success in this regard.

Good luck to you!

horrible,dangerous advice.disagree.

• ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options

Good luck to you!

I thought we were friends. All those noodz I sent you, wasted.
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    If there is a full marathon going on at the same time, I would think that even if you have to jog/walk most of the 1/2, you should be able to complete it. Do what you can to train until then, and just do your best, and try not to push yourself too hard. There is always the next race.
  • runsonrabbitfood
    Options
    cw106 wrote: »

agree.good advice.

rude and uncalled for!

Good luck to you!

horrible,dangerous advice.disagree.

Agreeing with the disagreement here. I don't suggest going low-carb for endurance athleticism. But that's my personal opinion based on my own experience and research. However, being only a month away, I wouldn't suggest doing anything drastically different with your diet in general. Stick with what you know works for you now. Especially since you have completed half marathons before. You can always experiment later in training when you have more time.