The Truth on Eggs

Options
2»

Replies

• FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    Options
    suzan06 wrote: »
    I eat them, but I can't/won't eat them from sad factory hens. Besides the less optimal nutritional profile of the egg itself, I've gotten so accustomed to free range (really free range, not grocery store "free range") yolks being so dark orange, that pale yellow eggs make me want to hurl.

Amen to that.

In fact, I don't even care for chicken eggs any more. Give me duck eggs any day.
  • fldiver97
    fldiver97 Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I eat them, but I can't/won't eat them from sad factory hens. Besides the less optimal nutritional profile of the egg itself, I've gotten so accustomed to free range (really free range, not grocery store "free range") yolks being so dark orange, that pale yellow eggs make me want to hurl.

I have my own pet chickens ( no rooster, not allowed in town) that are pets, entertainment, pest control, 'turn' compost and also lay eggs. They have a big yard, huge coop, organic feed and lay on their own schedule- no added hours of light to encourage laying in winter. I used to eat 2-4 eggs a day at times and my cholesterol is low.... I haven't eaten other eggs for 9 years. Now I'm almost vegan ( sometimes eat 2-3 eggs per week at the most, only my own chickens) Friends and neighbors get the eggs and love them.
    Cholesterol from eggs got a bad reputation years ago
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    There's no shortage of information or opinion on the internet. The challenge for this generation is in evaluating claims. How does one filter out truth from fiction? I look at the credentials of the claimant and the data they used to come to the conclusion. Anecdotal is nice but not enough.

Here's where the concern about whole eggs likely came about; trying to limit daily consumption of cholesterol

http://www.dietitians.ca/Your-Health/Nutrition-A-Z/Fat/Food-Sources-of-Cholesterol.aspx

Two eggs would go over the recommended daily consumption of cholesterol.

And here is a scholarly article that challenges the relationship between dietary cholesterol and high cholesterol in the blood

Dietary cholesterol, eggs..
  • peter56765
    peter56765 Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    AlanahBeez wrote: »
    Eggs are my go-to almost every day after my morning workout. I eat the whole egg. I have heard that they're just fine to eat every day but I've also heard they're bad to eat too often. So what's really the truth? Anyone have first hand experience with eating eggs almost every day?

Ya know, I tried eating the whole egg and I don't care what people say. The shell just isn't all that appealing to me. :)
  • GrooveMerchant
    GrooveMerchant Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I don't want to live in a world without eggs and sriracha for breakfast. Every. Day.
  • UG77
    UG77 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    peter56765 wrote: »
    Ya know, I tried eating the whole egg and I don't care what people say. The shell just isn't all that appealing to me. :)

Well played sir.

• xbowhunter
    xbowhunter Posts: 1,006 Member
    Options
    My cholesterol was tested high. My Doctor told me no more than 4 eggs per week. :(
    I used to eat 2 per day. Now I eat Oatmeal every morning.

Blood test is in May & we will see if it improves..
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,651 Member
    Options
    peter56765 wrote: »
    AlanahBeez wrote: »
    Eggs are my go-to almost every day after my morning workout. I eat the whole egg. I have heard that they're just fine to eat every day but I've also heard they're bad to eat too often. So what's really the truth? Anyone have first hand experience with eating eggs almost every day?

Ya know, I tried eating the whole egg and I don't care what people say. The shell just isn't all that appeeling to me. :)

There. I fixed it.

• fishshark
    fishshark Posts: 1,886 Member
    Options

agreed so much! Idk if you get Vital Farms organic free range pasture raised eggs.. 7 bucks for a dozen but soooo worth it. They have their pasture raised that just dont get organic feed that are a lot cheaper still amazing.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    I have always had slightly high total cholesterol. But, they usually specify that's because my good cholesterol is high and my bad cholesterol is low. But, my grandmother apparently has a condition in which her body manufactures higher levels of cholesterol. And it's genetic. I was medically injured and have a lot of food intolerances. I can only eat one egg white a day (right now), but I can eat three total egg yolks. They don't want me to stop eating eggs. Because I am underweight and due to my medical issues there are enough limitations on my diet and I need to eat high calories and can't gain weight. This sounds good. But, it's not. I am thinner than I want to be. I eat organic, free range, omega 3 eggs.
  • trjjoy
    trjjoy Posts: 666 Member
    Options

Amen to that.

In fact, I don't even care for chicken eggs any more. Give me duck eggs any day.

Yummy! I love duck eggs! I eat three (chicken) eggs a day.
  • suziecue20
    suziecue20 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    My doctor told me my high cholesterol level was more due to genetics than my diet but still said to limit my whole egg consumption and definitely avoid coconut and anything containing coconut oil. I now have 1 or two whole eggs per week but a lot more egg white, which has plenty of protein without the fatty yolk.
  • Nikion901
    Nikion901 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    As long as you are not Diabetic, you can safely consume 6-7 whole eggs a week. Just watch the trimmings that often are served with them ... bacon, ham, pancakes or toast, etc.

I am a Diabetic and I still eat about 4 eggs a week ... I sneek an egg into my porridge a couple of times a week to make it more filling and nutrient rich and enjoy an egg as a late snack a couple more times a week. My LDL did go up when I put eggs back into my diet, and I cut back on how many I was getting each week because of it. My next blood work is coming up and I'll be paying close attention to those numbers.